Preseason Rankings 122, 116, 106, 94...

K92

21 hours ago, LZIp said:

Football is king. Stop crying and deal with it.

I disagree. King-sized sinkhole doesn't even come close to quantifying how bad it is.

Edited by Zip_ME87

I'm beyond being able to blindly support a program that is ranked so low every season. 116/128, I don't doubt it at all.

Look where Mens Basketball ranks vs other D1 teams...not even close to that low. Probably true of the majority of Akron sports.

You do realize you could make your own rankings and it would be as credible as what was posted, right? Not to mention a game hasn't been played yet this year. Honestly cannot believe people are getting riled up over preseason rankings by some random reporters who don't even know who our starting RB is.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

I can't believe people keep coming back year after year and expecting different (better) results.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." :beam:

Add to that, that the year that we won the tater bowl was probably one of the biggest sinkhole years. :wall:

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I can't believe people keep coming back year after year and expecting different (better) results.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." :beam:

Add to that, that the year that we won the tater bowl was probably one of the biggest sinkhole years. :wall:

It's called being a fan. I suppose we'll see you around here if we're in a bowl game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

It's called being a fan. I suppose we'll see you around here if we're in a bowl game

I downgraded my season ticket for 2017. Didn't completely give up, but very close. Extremely frustrated with the amount of wasted $'s on football. UA Ath Dept. continues to not know when/how to move on.

16 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I downgraded my season ticket for 2017. Didn't completely give up, but very close. Extremely frustrated with the amount of wasted $'s on football. UA Ath Dept. continues to not know when/how to move on.

When have they not known in the recent past?

If you are so proud of the many 20+ win seasons, stop reading here. I don't want to rain on your parade. 

In FBS Football, you only have 128 teams or so... 

Outside of the one FCS team we schedule every year, 11/12 of our games are against top 128 teams in the country. In other words, Bowden cannot schedule Coppin states and Arkansas PB to pad his schedule. If we look at our 2016-2017 basketball schedule against the top 128 teams (using RPI for the lack of a better measure), we were 4-4:

Georgia Southern  W

Creighton  L

Gonzaga  L

Marshall  W

Ohio  W

Ohio  L

Houston W

UT Arlington L

Do you still think that our basketball season was so much better than the football season?

7 hours ago, Valpo Zip said:

If you are so proud of the many 20+ win seasons, stop reading here. I don't want to rain on your parade. 

In FBS Football, you only have 128 teams or so... 

Outside of the one FCS team we schedule every year, 11/12 of our games are against top 128 teams in the country. In other words, Bowden cannot schedule Coppin states and Arkansas PB to pad his schedule. If we look at our 2016-2017 basketball schedule against the top 128 teams (using RPI for the lack of a better measure), we were 4-4:

Georgia Southern  W

Creighton  L

Gonzaga  L

Marshall  W

Ohio  W

Ohio  L

Houston W

UT Arlington L

Do you still think that our basketball season was so much better than the football season?

There are plenty of teams at the FBS level to pad win totals against. We just happen to be the Coppin State and Ark Pine Bluff of the FBS level. The 128th best team in FBS (aka worst team) does not equal the 128th best team in division 1 basketball where there are 2.5X as many teams. The 128th best team college basketball can actually contend with and even beat a top 10 team from time to time. In FBS the 128th ranked team would lose by 40+ to a top 10 team.

College basketball just has a lot more competitive teams than what FBS does. 

Edit: We went 15-6 against our peers in basketball, however, went 3-5 against our peers in football. Those are the only numbers that matter to me.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

There are plenty of teams at the FBS level to pad win totals against. We just happen to be the Coppin State and Ark Pine Bluff of the FBS level. The 128th best team in FBS (aka worst team) does not equal the 128th best team in division 1 basketball where there are 2.5X as many teams. The 128th best team college basketball can actually contend with and even beat a top 10 team from time to time. In FBS the 128th ranked team would lose by 40+ to a top 10 team.

College basketball just has a lot more competitive teams than what FBS does. 

Edit: We went 15-6 against our peers in basketball, however, went 3-5 against our peers in football. Those are the only numbers that matter to me.

giphy.gif

I should not have started posting in this thread because I despise comparing one Zips program against another. However, I am almost completely fed up with the amounts of good money after bad that are thrown at Akron Football with so little results. Yeah, we went to the tater bowl and won it. Lowest paying bowl game out there...sinkhole. When expectations are set by 2 years of iCoach and Bowden's 1st year, just about anything looks good.

Since 1986, Akron Basketball has gotten the shaft in favor of Football. I think we got really lucky that Groce was willing to take a chance at Akron. Hopefully, he can move us to that next level of actually getting an NCAA Tourney win as opposed to the couple of close shots (before the major blowout). But, how long will that last given the high school gym in which we play. Akron should have an arena at least as good as Dayton or Cincy, but we're too busy coddling Bowden. I can't believe that he can't put together a Football team capable of winning the MAC. What a waste.

13 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I should not have started posting in this thread because I despise comparing one Zips program against another. However, I am almost completely fed up with the amounts of good money after bad that are thrown at Akron Football with so little results. Yeah, we went to the tater bowl and won it. Lowest paying bowl game out there...sinkhole. When expectations are set by 2 years of iCoach and Bowden's 1st year, just about anything looks good.

Since 1986, Akron Basketball has gotten the shaft in favor of Football. I think we got really lucky that Groce was willing to take a chance at Akron. Hopefully, he can move us to that next level of actually getting an NCAA Tourney win as opposed to the couple of close shots (before the major blowout). But, how long will that last given the high school gym in which we play. Akron should have an arena at least as good as Dayton or Cincy, but we're too busy coddling Bowden. I can't believe that he can't put together a Football team capable of winning the MAC. What a waste.

Ok, but coddling Bowden is not the reason why the Zips play in a high school gym.

I mean the U tried to get a stadium built in partnership with the city (which I thought and still think would be a nice thing), coupled with jail operations and emergency radio system capital improvements, but the whole 0.25% sales tax increase was apparently too much to even get it on the ballot.

The support unfortunately isn't there from the citizens.

We should not have an arena as nice as Dayton or Cincy. Those schools have much better fan support than we do. In fact, it may be an unpopular opinion but given our putrid fan base the JAR is all we deserve. We have some tremendous fans like Hilltopper, but unfortunately we don't have enough of them. Let's start filling the JAR before we talk spending ~$50M on something nicer.

So many people are quick to jump to the defense of football. I don't understand it. If fans are content making 1 bowl game in 5 years, we'll never progress to being consistent contenders in the MAC. I'd be complaining about Zips basketball if it was in the state that Zips football is in. I want to see Zips football succeed and that's why I'm so vocal in my displeasure regarding our current state.

19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

So many people are quick to jump to the defense of football. I don't understand it. If fans are content making 1 bowl game in 5 years, we'll never progress to being consistent contenders in the MAC. I'd be complaining about Zips basketball if it was in the state that Zips football is in. I want to see Zips football succeed and that's why I'm so vocal in my displeasure regarding our current state.

Last I am commenting on this topic for now as I'm ready to move forward to next season, but I think what it really comes down to is that some are more patient than others. Three straight 1-11 seasons is as big of a hole as anyone is going to have to climb out of.  We got a taste of what Bowden can do for the program with the Potato Bowl and then had a drop off season. Nobody was happy with last season's results. People have different views as to why the reasoning was or where the blame lies, but the truth is that it was a little bit of everything.  I'm fine with letting it play out to see if he can get us to a bowl game with any regularity and/or build upon that. Maybe 5-7 is all we can ever expect. Maybe the next coach will have us competing for MAC championships every year. But the next coach won't have it near as hard as what Bowden did. I don't really think that is debatable.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Last I am commenting on this topic for now as I'm ready to move forward to next season, but I think what it really comes down to is that some are more patient than others. Three straight 1-11 seasons is as big of a hole as anyone is going to have to climb out of.  We got a taste of what Bowden can do for the program with the Potato Bowl and then had a drop off season. Nobody was happy with last season's results. People have different views as to why the reasoning was or where the blame lies, but the truth is that it was a little bit of everything.  I'm fine with letting it play out to see if he can get us to a bowl game with any regularity and/or build upon that. Maybe 5-7 is all we can ever expect. Maybe the next coach will have us competing for MAC championships every year. But the next coach won't have it near as hard as what Bowden did. I don't really think that is debatable.

When you are 1-11 there is only 1 way to go and that's up. My biggest complaint is we are at the same spot after year 5 that we were in year 2, 5-7. We have plateaued under him never finishing better than 7th place in the MAC. I refuse to accept that 5-7 is the best this program can do when we have peer programs winning 9-10 games per season dispute having inferior facilities and who play in areas where talent is harder to come by. Akron is too poor to fire Bowden so he'll have 2 more years to prove himself. I'm not buying we'll be MAC contenders either of the next 2 years and ultimately I'll be glad when we bring in a fresh new face.

• Like 1

I am not arguing that Football is in a great shape and I am not defending Bowden. I am simply showing that the comparison between the two programs is not valid. Both Akron teams (football and basketball) were practically "no bodies" at the national scene. When you want to bring up the 15-6 vs 3-5 records, you have to remember that the zips football program competes in the 8th conference while the zips basketball program competes in the 17th ranked conference. You cannot possibly compare playing a nationally ranked WMU football team to playing their Hawkins basketball team.  

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Nobody was happy with last season's results. People have different views as to why the reasoning was or where the blame lies, but the truth is that it was a little bit of everything.  I'm fine with letting it play out to see if he can get us to a bowl game with any regularity and/or build upon that. Maybe 5-7 is all we can ever expect. Maybe the next coach will have us competing for MAC championships every year. But the next coach won't have it near as hard as what Bowden did. I don't really think that is debatable.

I'm glad to be discussing football after all the turmoil of the basketball post season. Here's how I see this season:

• 5-7 gets Bowden fired
  • 6-6 buys TB another year
  • 7-5 gives the faithful reason for hope
  • 8-4 restores my confidence in the long term positive outlook for the progrum, I may even begin to believe in Milwee as an effective OC. Ahhh ...... then again, forget it. I can't see that happening. 

1 hour ago, Valpo Zip said:

I am not arguing that Football is in a great shape and I am not defending Bowden. I am simply showing that the comparison between the two programs is not valid. Both Akron teams (football and basketball) were practically "no bodies" at the national scene. When you want to bring up the 15-6 vs 3-5 records, you have to remember that the zips football program competes in the 8th conference while the zips basketball program competes in the 17th ranked conference. You cannot possibly compare playing a nationally ranked WMU football team to playing their Hawkins basketball team.  

Just stop it. It's easier to reach top 25 status in football as you only have to be better than 103 schools opposed to needing to be better than 326 in basketball. It's why generally quality wins in basketball are stated in top 50 or top 100 wins instead of top 25 wins used in football. There are heavily resourced basketball programs and conferences that don't bother with FBS football (Big East, Wichita State, Gonzaga, etc.). The MAC East division is arguably the worst division in all of FBS. MAC basketball meanwhile is a well respected mid major with the MAC East carrying the conference.

We play in the 14th rated conference out of 32 conference which places the MAC in the top 44% of basketball conferences, meanwhile, we are at the 80% percentile as a FBS conference. We compete with similar resourced programs in both sports and are at or near the top of the MAC in spending for both sports. One sport we are the cream of the crop for the MAC. The other we are the laughingstock.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I'm glad to be discussing football after all the turmoil of the basketball post season. Here's how I see this season:

• 5-7 gets Bowden fired
  • 6-6 buys TB another year
  • 7-5 gives the faithful reason for hope
  • 8-4 restores my confidence in the long term positive outlook for the progrum, I may even begin to believe in Milwee as an effective OC. Ahhh ...... then again, forget it. I can't see that happening. 

After this year Bowden would have 1 year left on his deal. Given our financial situation, it would take something much worse than 5-7 for him to be fired. It's very probably he would go into the last year of his deal as a lame duck.

Edit: At 8-4 he probably gets a 2 year extension.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo Zip said:

Again, you are comparing numbers that don't matter.  There are 10 FBS conferences and 32 D-1 basketball conferences.  Using that criteria, you could certainly make the argument that MAC basketball is in a stronger position to MAC football.  We understand that you are a big critic of the basketball scheduling under Dambrot but the arguments you are using do not hold water.

• Like 2