Coleman-Lands to transfer from Illinois

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, because a 46 point beat down when they would have been in 8th grade is so much better. It's better for a program to have had tournament success regardless if it was 10 or 20 years ago than to have never experienced it. UTEP peaked in the 60s and hasn't won a tourney game since 1992 and people still talk about them as if they are a better program than your typical mid-major.

Can't argue with that logic...

47 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

UTEP peaked in the 60s and hasn't won a tourney game since 1992 and people still talk about them as if they are a better program than your typical mid-major.

Do you live in El Paso? Because I can't say I've ever heard that

14 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Do you live in El Paso? Because I can't say I've ever heard that

Here are a few quotes from our tournament down there:

"And as as a side note - as crappy as UTEP is this season, it would have been nice to see the Zips waxing them on the ESPN ticker tonight. Kind of like if we'd have beaten that team masquerading as Ohio State in the NIT last season. It's nice to beat a "name" regardless of their existing state."

"Haskins was a legendary coach with a legendary story.  The program had a cinderalla era and won a national title.  It was a story big enough to eventually inspire a recent Hollywood movie, shown in theaters throughout the country."

Ironically, I was arguing they were overrated and Captain was arguing they were a name program worth beating. I don't live in El Paso, but do know they are well revered there with the community and local businesses buying into the program. Still the only basketball program in Texas to win a D-1 basketball championship.

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

"And as as a side note - as crappy as UTEP is this season, it would have been nice to see the Zips waxing them on the ESPN ticker tonight. Kind of like if we'd have beaten that team masquerading as Ohio State in the NIT last season. It's nice to beat a "name" regardless of their existing state."

...and it would be nice for the Zips to beat today's crappy, sucky 2017 DePaul program for the same reason.

I <3 this thread's effort to make our program look less pathetic than the Big East's worst, or alternatively, to assuage our overconfidence by in the great Akron tradition, showing that we have NO tradition WHATSOEVER!  Did you forget, Billy Turner was on the 1966 Little All-American team with four members of the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame!   :rofl:

Which makes me reconsider my prior support for Coach Groce.  I just learned that Ray Meyer was available!   

11 hours ago, skip-zip said:

You're thinking that he might go to a MAC school if this was not a factor?

No, just sarcasm. I fell into this trap with Tilmon earlier, and I'm learning from it. Sure is fun though to have these speculations.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...