Coleman-Lands to transfer from Illinois

I guess I'd have to ask myself why a guy who played plenty (and started) in his freshman and sophomore years at a Big 10 school, and scored around the double-digit mark, would even remotely be considering transferring DOWN to a MAC school?   Another gauge we could get is to look at the other guys who have transferred from Illinois, and their commits that have been released, and note that none of them are coming to Akron.  I never heard of any of them that even wanted to consider it? 

He's a really good player who played on a crappy team his first two years, doesn't see it improving anytime soon, and wants to BETTER his situation.  

I'll put odds on this one at about .0021 percent.  

On 5/28/2017 at 1:24 PM, ZippyRulz said:

he is considering DePaul. 

Makes sense.  The #2 conference in the country last year, which sent 7 teams to the NCAA tournament.  

On 5/28/2017 at 9:39 PM, mes102 said:

Yeah, he probably doesn't want to play his brother 2(or 3) times a year...

You're thinking that he might go to a MAC school if this was not a factor?

33 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Are we really citing achievements from the 70s (or earlier) to try and say a program doesn't suck? Hey I am pretty sure our football program is the last Ohio team to beat OSU. :rofl:

What I'm stating is who are we to make fun of a program that has achieved a far great more than we have. You can laugh about their success in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but meanwhile we're still waiting on our 1st tourney win...

PS Oberlin was last Ohio team to beat OSU and that was in 1921.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

22 NCAA tourney appearances

10 Sweet 16 appearances

3 Elite 8 appearances

2 Final 4 appearances

I wish Akron "sucked"

It looks like a couple of people are failing to put this Akron/DePaul comparison in perspective.  Remove 14 MAC games from our conference schedule next year, and replace them with home/away games with the 7 schools that all were picked to be in the NCAA tournament, and tell me where Akron comes out at the conclusion of those 14 games?

33 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Are we really citing achievements from the 70s (or earlier) to try and say a program doesn't suck?

This is really funny that it's coming from you.   Over the last 5 years or so on this forum, every time someone mocks the downward slide of OSWho basketball, one of you honks always chimes in immediately citing "great tradition" or "rich history", and pointing out distant successes, including their last title in 1958.

But apparently DePaul doesn't get equal acknowledgement for the same? Hmm.  I wonder why?

And maybe just a technicality here, but DePaul has had  13 NCAA tournament appearances since the 70's (vs. 4 for Akron), and they were actually the #1 seed in their region 3 times since the 70's as well.   So NO, you don't need to go back to the 70's to find good DePaul basketball.  

As Kreed pointed out, I sure wish Akron Basketball "sucked" like that. 

Please, just think about what you said above about DePaul the next time you decide to defend OSWho Basketball's "History of Success".   

Edited by skip-zip

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It looks like a couple of people are failing to put this in perspective.  Remove 14 MAC games from our conference schedule next year, and replace them with home/away games with the 7 schools that all were picked to be in the NCAA tournament, and tell me where Akron comes out at the conclusion of those 14 games?

This is really funny that it's coming from you.   Over the last 5 years or so on this forum, every time someone mocks the downward slide of OSWho basketball, one of you honks always chimes in immediately citing "great tradition" or "rich history", and pointing out distant successes, including their last title in 1958.

But apparently DePaul doesn't get equal billing? Hmm.  I wonder why?

And maybe just a technicality here, but DePaul has had  13 NCAA tournament appearances since the 70's (vs. 4 for Akron), and they were actually the #1 seed in their region 3 times since the 70's as well.   So NO, you don't need to go back to the 70's to find good DePaul basketball.  

As Kreed pointed out, I sure wish Akron Basketball "sucked" like that. 

Please, just think about what say above about DePaul the next time you decide to defend OSWho Basketball's "History of Success".   

Hey skippy...how about you compare conference championships, wins, and NCAA tourney appearances between Akron and Depaul in the past decade. After you do that, quote me on "defending OSU basketball's rich tradition" and whatever else you're trying to say. The only thing I've ever said is that OSU basketball is better than Akron after our championship team couldn't beat their 2nd to worst team in recent history. I know it hurts, but its true. After you do both of those, then we can talk.

@LZIp, convenient to cherry pick numbers to fit your narrative. Accept it or not players would rather play in the Big East, even if it's one of the Big East's 2nd rate programs like Depaul, over playing in the MAC. You call it being a contrarian, I call it realism. Coleman-Lands isn't coming to Akron.

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

@LZIp, convenient to cherry pick numbers to fit your narrative. Accept it or not players would rather play in the Big East, even if it's one of the Big East's 2nd rate programs like Depaul, over playing in the MAC. You call it being a contrarian, I call it realism. Coleman-Lands isn't coming to Akron.

I didn't cherry pick anything. Recent history is what matters. You're just flat out wrong if you think a kid gives a damn about what a program did when his dad was barely alive. You are putting a lot of words in my mouth. I didn't say players would rather play in the MAC than the Big East, even though its not an absolute like you're making it out to be (Zeke Marshall, anyone?!). I never made a single comment about Coleman-Lands. Depaul sucks and that is that.

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I didn't cherry pick anything. Recent history is what matters. You're just flat out wrong if you think a kid gives a damn about what a program did when his dad was barely alive. You are putting a lot of words in my mouth. I didn't say players would rather play in the MAC than the Big East, even though its not an absolute like you're making it out to be (Zeke Marshall, anyone?!). I never made a single comment about Coleman-Lands. Depaul sucks and that is that.

On the basketball hierarchy Depaul > Akron, that's my biggest point. Their budget is nearly double ours, they play in a better conference, they have a better history, and they have a better chance of returning to national prominence given which conference they play in and the resources at their disposal.

You're the one that brought up Duquesne who is completely unrelated to this topic. This thread is titled Coleman-Lands. If you're not wishing to talk about him, why are you wasting your time posting in this thread? It makes complete sense to me why a kid would be interested in playing basketball at Depaul, but not Akron. Just because Depaul has fallen on its hardest times while Akron hit its peak doesn't make Akron the better overall basketball program.

19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

@LZIp, convenient to cherry pick numbers to fit your narrative. 

So when you cite statistics from the 70's, they're relevant.

And when someone lists won-loss statistics of the 15 most-recent seasons, they're "cherry-picking." 

Got it. :beam:

Speaking of the 70's...how would you rate Goldie Hawn, in 2017? Is she still hot?

celebs-didnt-age-well-emgn-1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

So when you cite statistics from the 70's, they're relevant.

And when someone lists won-loss statistics of the 15 most-recent seasons, they're "cherry-picking." 

Got it. :beam:

Speaking of the 70's...how would you rate Goldie Hawn, in 2017? Is she still hot?

celebs-didnt-age-well-emgn-1.jpg

They won a tournament game in 2004 so I'm not sure why you keep acting like they haven't had any success since the 70s? I'm counting 13 NCAAT appearances from 1980 on.

BTW lol at the photo.

Edited by kreed5120

4 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

You do realize 2016-2017 UA Freshman were in kindergarten during this "recent" victory.

Yes, because a 46 point beat down when they would have been in 8th grade is so much better. It's better for a program to have had tournament success regardless if it was 10 or 20 years ago than to have never experienced it. UTEP peaked in the 60s and hasn't won a tourney game since 1992 and people still talk about them as if they are a better program than your typical mid-major.