2018 Commitment List

On 1/17/2018 at 11:00 AM, 72 Roo said:

I would like to get excited about this area of the team too. It seems we have better talent coming in. But I am not sold that we have the best OL coach who can develop that talent. Last year and the year before we had a veteran OL and the results were poor. We never learned to run block and our pass blocking went downhill when we were in obvious passing situations against good, not great teams. You expect players to get better during the course of the season. Both years we got worse. I know our coach is the youngest on the team but he has to produce.

Bowden seems to support his coaches no matter what. To improve the team, and the coaching staff, he has to make hard, but necessary changes. The three areas that are glaring are offensive line, offensive coordinator and special teams. All coaches should be gone. We will be better because the talent is improving. Coaching has to improve too and then we will grow even faster.

There are ways to grade offensive lineman performance, but I have not seen anything on Akron over the years. I have a suspicion that much of our running game anemia comes from the skill positions themselves and key injuries. I'm happy to see Akron finally getting some young running backs that may be able to start producing on offense. The fact that we finally have some highly touted young gun RB's committing to the Zips is another sign that Akron is on the upswing. While I noticed an uptick on the o-line when Funk was here (recruiting too) I'm not ready to point the finger at Ekkens. For all we know he may be doing a great job.      

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

There are ways to grade offensive lineman performance, but I have not seen anything on Akron over the years. I have a suspicion that much of our running game anemia comes from the skill positions themselves and key injuries. I'm happy to see Akron finally getting some young running backs that may be able to start producing on offense. The fact that we finally have some highly touted young gun RB's committing to the Zips is another sign that Akron is on the upswing. While I noticed an uptick on the o-line when Funk was here (recruiting too) I'm not ready to point the finger at Ekkens. For all we know he may be doing a great job.      

Well if he is doing a great job then we have horrible talent on the OL. But I concede that may be the case. I also feel we need to upgrade at running back, but they weren't the reason our run game failed this year. There was no blocking for them to have a place to run. That was blatantly clear as you sat in the stands and watched our lineman get pushed back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

Well if he is doing a great job then we have horrible talent on the OL. But I concede that may be the case. I also feel we need to upgrade at running back, but they weren't the reason our run game failed this year. There was no blocking for them to have a place to run. That was blatantly clear as you sat in the stands and watched our lineman get pushed back. 

And why not look at the backs when trying to figure out why our running attack was weak? I think if Ball and Sands had stayed healthy we would not be having this discussion. For example, in the Buffalo game, Sands averaged 10 yards a carry and Morgan averaged 2.9 on about the same number of rushes. Take out Sands long gain in that game and he is still over 5 yards a carry. We all know what Ball would have done if he stayed healthy. Playing thru the tough early games Ball still averaged 4 yards a carry on the season and would have increased that average in MAC play had he not been injured. Next year, I'd put Edwards back on kickoffs and let Sands and the young guns carry the load.          

My hope for the offensive line hinges on whether or not Deltron Sands production at the end of the Buffalo game was real, or an illusion.

Buffalo knew we were going to run, we ran, and they still couldn't stop Sands. 7 carries for 70 yards. He and the OL moved the chains at-will to close-out the win.

Edwards and Morgan are good, durable backs. I'm glad they came to UA. But neither are especially strong, shifty or fast.

Tough to bank on Sands for 2018. I hope he's healthy. But he had 2 shoulder injuries, and then a season ending leg injury... all last year. Those are Newman Williams-type numbers.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fresh corp of heralded RB's this spring, and seeing if their accolades match their performance. We need a game-breaker RB in the worst way. If we find one (or 2), it'll make the OL look a lot better.

1 minute ago, UA1987 said:

And why not look at the backs when trying to figure out why our running attack was weak? I think if Ball and Sands had stayed healthy we would not be having this discussion. For example, in the Buffalo game, Sands averaged 10 yards a carry and Morgan averaged 2.9 on about the same number of rushes. Take out Sands long gain in that game and he is still over 5 yards a carry. We all know what Ball would have done if he stayed healthy. Playing thru the tough early games Ball still averaged 4 yards a carry on the season and would have increased that average in MAC play had he not been injured. Next year, I'd put Edwards back on kickoffs and let Sands and the young guns carry the load.          

HA! Thought the same thing!:lol:

There have been some good replies to my comment about the OL. I agree that an upgrade at running back will make our OL better. No doubt. No argument. My opinion is based on what I saw of the OL over the last two years. They flat out underperformed and that is indisputable. They were big, veteran and poised for production. So we wished but they did not block, period. On nearly every televised game the color commentator noted our guys got handled by the opposing DL. And we played some weak opponents at times. Let's judge them on what happened, not what might have been had Ball or Sands been healthy, or the receivers not dropped balls, or the coaching changed. They did not do what they were asked to so. Simple.

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

There have been some good replies to my comment about the OL. I agree that an upgrade at running back will make our OL better. No doubt. No argument. My opinion is based on what I saw of the OL over the last two years. They flat out underperformed and that is indisputable. They were big, veteran and poised for production. So we wished but they did not block, period. On nearly every televised game the color commentator noted our guys got handled by the opposing DL. And we played some weak opponents at times. Let's judge them on what happened, not what might have been had Ball or Sands been healthy, or the receivers not dropped balls, or the coaching changed. They did not do what they were asked to so. Simple.

I don't remember the TV guys saying anything specifically about our OL. I do remember at the Penn State game a lot of talk about our speedy receivers (specifically Smith) and how we may pose a threat to their defense (which never happened), but much of the talk was about their team and not so much about Akron. Against Penn State I'd say we did get pushed around at times, but that is not much of a surprise. Once we lost our top backs later in the year we had guys with heart trying to move through holes that closed quickly (typical for FBS play). One of the last plays I saw on TV in 2017 was Morgan tripping thru a wide open hole against FAU for a 2 yard gain. I like our recent OL recruits and we have some good talent ready to go (Kallay and Fazio are two that could step up - and maybe a young player like Neeley). I think our running game will be better in 2018. I'm more worried about our QB. Better decisions need to come from this position.                

National Signing Day coming up February 7th. Seems very quiet right now, but the scholly chart estimates 10 scholarships open. For purposes of this discussion, lets assume a walk-on or two impressed enough to earn a scholly or this is a transfer we don't know about. That would bring the figure down to 8. Since early signing day we have added OL Bryce Peterson as a JUCO commit, who I am anticipating will sign. That takes the number down to 7.

We have Tim Scippio, Te'Corey Tutson, Ramon Fields, Ronald Beasley, and Treon Sibley who we have down as commits, but didn't sign during the early signing day. I would think there is a reason these guys didn't sign - either grades, or considering somewhere else for whatever reason. My guess is that Ramon Fields (has not other reported offers and figure we would have signed with his teammates) and Ronald Beasley (really early commit last year who we haven't heard anything else about) are for sure out. Lets say 2 of those 5 end up signing.

We have non-qualifiers from last year in Marquise Bridges, Tracy Jordan, Marquess Callaway, and Marcus Kidd. I'm assuming Kidd is out due to his arrest. I would think at most we get 2 of these.

Lets also assume there are 1 or 2 players we don't know about that won't be with the team next year for whatever reason as some attrition is natural.

With that, I think we are really only looking at 4-5 available scholarships. On national signing day last year, we pulled in 3 of our best commits in Matthew Hansen, Zaire Jacobs, and Jeffrey Lubin. We also signed 2 true freshman contributors in Meeks and Williams after NSD.

In short, I would expect a boring NSD with the potential to land 1 or 2 decent guys at the last minute, 1 or 2 decent guys post-NSD, and finally have 1 or 2 scholly's saved for transfers. I've been keeping an eye out on 247's Crystal ball and there is nothing there for us yet.

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 94zipgrad said:

Reggie Corner, you left off the list & from what I’ve heard he is the only one that did the work necessary but i guess will she a spring roster in little over a month

I didn't include him because I am already counting him as a scholly player (as well as the other new signees). He signed again back in December.

Edited by LZIp

Marquise Bridges' twitter bio still reads, "Zips football."

But on January 22nd I DM'd him & said, "Hey Marquise!  You're still gonna play for Akron, right?  Next season? Spring ball? I can't wait to see you in the blue & gold! 100"

But he has yet to reply.  Naturally, I assume the worst, i.e., he's still not academically eligible.  But I'm holding out hope that he just simply doesn't want to waste his time replying to some dorky white guy. Lol.  

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

But he has yet to reply.  Naturally, I assume the worst, i.e., he's still not academically eligible.  But I'm holding out hope that he just simply doesn't want to waste his time replying to some dorky white guy. Lol.  

I'm actually shocked the responses I get from Zips players on Twitter...but they grew-up with twitter where we didn't so it must be different to them.