2018 Commitment List

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2017 at 12:44 PM, GJGood said:

Whatever happened to recruiting throughout the state of Ohio? I know NEO is a priority but the Zips used to recruit other parts of the state as well.

Bowden mentioned in a presser not too long ago, just last month IIRC, that the staff focussed on NEO & western PA. After that they look to Florida. Toledo & Columbus are in play, but he said something about, with air travel, nowadays it's as easy, if not easier, to recruit Florida as it is southern Ohio.

I have heard those areas mentioned before by Bowden. I live in the Columbus area and see players signing with a lot of MAC schools from this area but rarely Akron. A ton of them go to Ohio but BG, Toledo, and Miami are certainly a presence here as well. I have just never understood why Akron doesn't seem to be as big of a recruiting player in this region as their conference counterparts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Akron2018 said:

Akron RB Commit Keyondre White 2 Touchdowns 132 Yards Can’t wait to see him Playing for the Zips

He'll certainly get the opportunity to play early in his career. We graduate our top 3 RB's (although Sands is making a good case for Top 3 consideration right now).

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 6:48 PM, LZIp said:

Updated: 15 commits so far....

Current D1 (FBS) Offer list for each commit:

Timothy Scippio - Akron, FAU

Rich Hall - Akron, FAU

Keyondre White - Akron, Army, BG, Buffalo, FAU, Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, USF, Syracuse, UAB

Te'Corey Tutson - Akron

Ramon Fields - Akron

Devanier Floyd - Akron

Ronald Beasley - Akron

Daishawn Brimage - Akron, CMU, Kent

Logan Hawkins - Akron, Army, Navy, Ball State, EMU

Gavin Blunt - Akron

Treon Sibley - Akron

Vincent Fonte - Akron, Kent State, Buffalo, BGSU

Ben Phillis - Akron

RJ Kelly - Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Minnesota, Iowa State, Appalachian State

Jalen Hooks - Akron, Boston College, Cincinnati, Kent State, Miami, Toledo

I agree with K92, this commitment list is a significant improvement in recruiting from prior years. Now, before someone jumps, we all know that this list will change, but I can remember prior years when Bowden was just starting here where we had 1 or 2 commitments at this time, as our program had sunk so low.    

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 11:44 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Isn't there some early signing day this year?  Like, November 10, or something like that?  Not waiting till February?

Early Signing Day Info

TL;DR

Beginning Dec. 20, prospective student-athletes can put pen to paper on the National Letters of Intent. The 72-hour window will close on Dec. 22, and the next opportunity to sign an NLI will be at any point between the first Wednesday in February and April 1 – in other words, the normal signing period that we all know and love.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

So B&G has the inside scoop then :ninja:

I thought I remembered Blunt played LB when I watched a few games earlier in the year. Then again, I can hardly remember everything I did yesterday.

Wish I could claim I did, but no. Aurora is D-III & I just read the news about Gavin in the paper. Lol

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Anyway, Gavin was named 1st-Team All-Ohio as a DB for the 2nd year in a row.  (I don't have a link to post.)

So, though he was listed as a WR, I'm going to assume we're going to look at him as a safety.

And just the opposite for Treon Sibley of Coventry.....   listed as a DB commit and received 1st team All-Ohio Division III as a WR

Other Zips Commits who made All-Ohio:

Division II:

1st team OL- RJ Kelly from Hoban

Honorable mention - Vincent Fonte OL from Copley

Division III:

2nd team RB - Devanier Floyd from East

3rd team DB - Daishawn Brimage from East

Edited by zzx
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Awesome. Seems like OL shouldn't be an issue for the foreseeable future as we've got some pretty good commits this year.

I would like to get excited about this area of the team too. It seems we have better talent coming in. But I am not sold that we have the best OL coach who can develop that talent. Last year and the year before we had a veteran OL and the results were poor. We never learned to run block and our pass blocking went downhill when we were in obvious passing situations against good, not great teams. You expect players to get better during the course of the season. Both years we got worse. I know our coach is the youngest on the team but he has to produce.

Bowden seems to support his coaches no matter what. To improve the team, and the coaching staff, he has to make hard, but necessary changes. The three areas that are glaring are offensive line, offensive coordinator and special teams. All coaches should be gone. We will be better because the talent is improving. Coaching has to improve too and then we will grow even faster.