Game 3—Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

On 8/10/2017 at 3:36 PM, LZIp said:

ISU preview provided by Deadspin. Interesting note - it appears their QB from last year is now...a middle linebacker?

http://deadspin.com/nobodys-better-at-maintaining-mediocrity-than-iowa-stat-1797683090?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I didn't read the article, but here is my summary of his career transition:

• In the next to last game of last season, Lanning scored 5 TDs in a single game against Texas Tech (mostly long runs against short yardage defense).
  • Thenhe  barely played in the finale against West Virginia (well, he did score a TD that was called back for a penalty).  
  • Now his is the starting MLB and doing really well according to sources.  Coach said that he was too good to keep off the field, but wanted Park at QB.

I predict Lanning will be the only player in college football to score on offense and defense as he may still play in short yardage situations.  In our Spring game, Lanning (former starting QB) intercepted a pass from Park (current QB) and took it for a Pick 6.    

Edited by Cykron

Here is a link to a really unfortunate story about the Iowa State defensive line coach losing his son in a motorcycle accident in Toledo a week or so ago.  So sad.  

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2017/07/31/iowa-state-assistant-eli-rasheed-practicing-heavy-heart-after-death-son/526030001/

Hi, ISU fan here.

A buddy and I are planning on coming, and when I look at StubHub I only see tickets in the middle of the field for about $37, give or take.  Is this game pretty close to sold out and that's all that's left?  Or is it pretty easy to come by a ticket for less than that on game day?

I don't know much about your following or fan interest and don't want to be ignorant and assume anything either way.  Looking forward to the road trip, and ready to pound some breakfast beers.

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hi, ISU fan here.

A buddy and I are planning on coming, and when I look at StubHub I only see tickets in the middle of the field for about $37, give or take.  Is this game pretty close to sold out and that's all that's left?  Or is it pretty easy to come by a ticket for less than that on game day?

I don't know much about your following or fan interest and don't want to be ignorant and assume anything either way.  Looking forward to the road trip, and ready to pound some breakfast beers.

This is the official link through the university. However, I'd bet my left nut you could get GA tickets on gameday for $15.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/university-of-akron-zips-football-vs-akron-ohio-09-16-2017/event/050052DB86071847?artistid=821759&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=8&tm_link=venue_msg-0_050052DB86071847#efeat4212

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Do they sell GA in advance?

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hi, ISU fan here.

Stay tuned.  We will be having a good-sized tailgate for Iowa State fans.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LZIp said:

You could bet both nuts and still feel 100% safe.

1 hour ago, Zipgrad01 said:

You could bet both nuts and still feel 100% safe.

We won't sell out and if you are looking for seats on the Visitor side, you will be fine. The home side lower level mid section probably won't sell out but they might get sparse than normal with it being Jason Taylor day and the fact that most of those are season ticket seats.

Edited by zipsoutsider

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:37 PM, Cykron said:

Thanks Ham.  I appreciate the advice.  I was in Akron a few weeks ago and scoped it out pretty well.  And I have family and friends in the area to help with connections to the university.  We had our eyes on Lot 9, but will probably end up doing something bigger, so we will need to move a little farther from the stadium.  

There are so many cool things in the area for those who don't get there very often, such as the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  I think we will have a lot of fans who will come and make a long weekend in order to take advantage of the opportunities.

To totally understand the Akron tradition, see if your group can rent out the Rubber Bowl for your large tailgating get-together.

I hear it is only a short bus ride from campus.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:37 PM, Cykron said:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, KentZip said:

To totally understand the Akron tradition, see if your group can rent out the Rubber Bowl for your large tailgating get-together.

And with all of the news we've heard over the last few years about "major multi-million renovations", it should look better than ever !!  :lol:

What a great idea for our Iowa State fans to see the beautiful legacy of our football tradition.  

The "Jason Taylor Played Here" feeling would certainly be an experience that the Iowans would never forget !!

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KentZip said:

Good one!  I go to Akron several times a year and am familiar with the Rubber Bowl.   And have read the articles about its "renovation."  

We each have our stadium heritages.  Ours is the only D-1 stadium in the country named after an African-American (Jack Trice, cool story, link below).  Yours was named after a prophylactic.  We both have good reasons to be proud.  And that is about as trash-talking as I get!

http://www.kagavi.com/the-jack-trice-story/

On 8/15/2017 at 1:00 PM, Dr Z said:

888-99AKRON or email tickets@uakron.edu for any game ticket and parking information. 

Just called and bought $15 general admission tickets.  Don't even think that they charged me a service or shipping fee.  Nice.  

P.S.  I just sold some upper deck corner tickets for our game with (Eastern) Iowa University for $125 each.

Are there any goofy liquor laws in Ohio that we need to be aware of?  In Iowa, the rules are such:  you have to be 21 to buy it, you can buy all levels at any store that has a license to sell (including grocery stores and gas stations), and you can't get it between 2AM and 6AM (8AM on Sunday).  That's about it.  But I've found a lot of states have crazy liquor laws in regards to time and place sales restrictions, so I always like to have a game plan.

We're planning on Ubering down to the stadium from our hotel and just walking around with a couple cases of Yuengling, with our goal of hitting Cykron's ISU tailgate.  Would be fun to hit some Zip 'gates too.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

If he had ever put a roof on it, we could have called it the Con-Dome  

That may be an old joke to you guys, but I didn't think of it.  And it is hilarious.  For those of us who just parachute into Akron occasionally, the unique use of the word "rubber" still catches me off-guard sometimes.  "Oh, yeah, the rubber used for tires."

14 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Are there any goofy liquor laws in Ohio that we need to be aware of?  In Iowa, the rules are such:  you have to be 21 to buy it, you can buy all levels at any store that has a license to sell (including grocery stores and gas stations), and you can't get it between 2AM and 6AM (8AM on Sunday).  That's about it.  But I've found a lot of states have crazy liquor laws in regards to time and place sales restrictions, so I always like to have a game plan.

We're planning on Ubering down to the stadium from our hotel and just walking around with a couple cases of Yuengling, with our goal of hitting Cykron's ISU tailgate.  Would be fun to hit some Zip 'gates too.

No crazy liquor laws. Ohio grocery stores and gas stations sell beer. In addition to State stores, many larger grocery stores (Giant Eagle, Acme, etc.) sell liquor all day long. 

There are bars and restaurants across the street from the stadium (Exchange St.) that sell food and beer, but they are usually woefully understaffed for a big game (like Pitt a couple years ago). So to be safe, I would bring your own tailgate food rather than bank on getting something near the stadium.

As far as Akron tailgates go, Lot 9 is a small, but pretty active and fun area. I can't speak for any of the other lots. 

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

No crazy liquor laws. Ohio grocery stores and gas stations sell beer. In addition to State stores, many larger grocery stores (Giant Eagle, Acme, etc.) sell liquor all day long. 

There are bars and restaurants across the street from the stadium (Exchange St.) that sell food and beer, but they are usually woefully understaffed for a big game (like Pitt a couple years ago). So to be safe, I would bring your own tailgate food rather than bank on getting something near the stadium.

As far as Akron tailgates go, Lot 9 is a small, but pretty active and fun area. I can't speak for any of the other lots. 

Sounds good.  Thanks for the advice.

17 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

One thing I can add....

If you are staying for the weekend, make sure you buy LIQUOR on Saturday.  All you'll find on Sunday is the 50% reduced proof crap in the grocery and convenience stores.  

The Acme in my town sells liquor anytime after noon on Sunday. Many stores do. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The Acme in my town sells liquor anytime after noon on Sunday. Many stores do. 

Please share location.  You might be thinking of the Half-Proof shelf "liquor" that's by the beer and wine aisles, which is indeed restricted on Sunday until after noon.  All the State Liquor Stores, including the ones inside the Giant Eagle stores that sell 80 proof and higher are closed on Sunday.  

Very impressed to hear about Iowa State fans and their team. This is the big one on our OOC schedule. Corn and hogs at the tailgates! We will be underdogs but I'm anticipating a great game. All Iowa State fans should know our local food tops out with sauerkraut balls, jojos, and canned brown gravy. Anyone that can guzzle a can of gravy and a beer afterwards brings luck to their team. No projectile vomiting in our new stadium please.