Game 3—Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

15 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Please share location.  You might be thinking of the Half-Proof shelf "liquor" that's by the beer and wine aisles, which is indeed restricted on Sunday until after noon.  All the State Liquor Stores, including the ones inside the Giant Eagle stores that sell 80 proof and higher are closed on Sunday.  

Please read.

All Acme Fresh Market State Liquor available:

Monday – Saturday: All State Liquor Locations
• 9 am – 10 pm
Sunday Hours: Acme Ellet, Hudson, Kent, Norton, and Bailey Rd
• 11 am – 10 pm
Sunday Hours: Acme Tallmadge, Montrose, Canton and North Canton
• 10 am – 10 pm

15 hours ago, UA1987 said:

Very impressed to hear about Iowa State fans and their team. This is the big one on our OOC schedule. Corn and hogs at the tailgates! We will be underdogs but I'm anticipating a great game. All Iowa State fans should know our local food tops out with sauerkraut balls, jojos, and canned brown gravy. Anyone that can guzzle a can of gravy and a beer afterwards brings luck to their team. No projectile vomiting in our new stadium please.           

You had me at sauerkraut balls.

22 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Please read.

All Acme Fresh Market State Liquor available:

Monday – Saturday: All State Liquor Locations
• 9 am – 10 pm
Sunday Hours: Acme Ellet, Hudson, Kent, Norton, and Bailey Rd
• 11 am – 10 pm
Sunday Hours: Acme Tallmadge, Montrose, Canton and North Canton
• 10 am – 10 pm

Thanks for providing that.  By looking at that list, have I always been missing out by living south of Akron?

State Liquor Store on South Main - Closed on Sunday

State Liquor Store on Manchester - Closed on Sunday

Acme Portage Lakes - No 80 Proof Liquor Sales at all.  (only 1/2 proof shelf liquor)

Giant Eagle Waterloo - State Liquor Store inside, but it's closed on Sunday.  

:(

This thread has just taken a nice turn toward the heart of Iowa State football fans . . . liquor store hours!  

What are the tailgate rules about alcohol?  Any funky "open container" laws?  Any problem serving mixed drinks (e.g. Cyclone OJ, Cyclone Sunrises, Coffee with Bailey's) in cups?  

Just added an avatar.  This is "Cy" and it is a cardinal-colored cyclone!  Or as we sometimes, say, "bird in a blender."  About 100 years ago, we played Northwestern and a reporter said we came into Evanston like a cyclone . . . and it stuck.  I personally prefer something that is more clearly cyclone-related, but kids love our Cy mascot who is about 7-feet tall and cute (the original Cy was taller and angry-looking).  Tons of fans have vanity plates like JOE4CY.  One of my personal favorites is CYNTIST.  Oh, those wacky faculty!  

Maybe someday our engineering school will come up with a remote control cyclone-looking drone that they can maneuver around the stadium on game-day!  

Cy-clone logo.gif

On 8/17/2017 at 8:18 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

No crazy liquor laws. Ohio grocery stores and gas stations sell beer. In addition to State stores, many larger grocery stores (Giant Eagle, Acme, etc.) sell liquor all day long. 

There are bars and restaurants across the street from the stadium (Exchange St.) that sell food and beer, but they are usually woefully understaffed for a big game (like Pitt a couple years ago). So to be safe, I would bring your own tailgate food rather than bank on getting something near the stadium.

As far as Akron tailgates go, Lot 9 is a small, but pretty active and fun area. I can't speak for any of the other lots. 

Unless it's a sunday they won't sale you Wine until after noon.  Which makes literally no sense.

I'm in Canton for business for a few days.  Hope to go to Infocision Stadium sometime on Thursday or Friday to scope out tailgating lots.   Can't wait to come for "real."

On 6/14/2017 at 1:08 PM, Cykron said:

We have a very strong tailgating tradition.  It was part of what made Campbell want to come to Ames.  We are hoping to put together something for our fans who come to tailgate.  Friendly Zip fans are also welcome.  

We have reserved Lot 4 (and gave a nice little contribution to the university) so that we could have a designated tailgate spot for the Iowa State game.  We should have a good group gathered there.  As stated above, "friendly Zips fans" are welcome.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cykron said:

As stated above, "friendly Zips fans" are welcome.  

I think you will find there are no other kind.  Very unlikely, but if you should happen to find a host who is not cordial, please point them out to us so we can ostracize them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

We have reserved Lot 4 (and gave a nice little contribution to the university) so that we could have a designated tailgate spot for the Iowa State game.  We should have a good group gathered there.  As stated above, "friendly Zips fans" are welcome.  

Good choice. The Delta Gams may even let you use their sand volleyball courts, or challenge you to a match :)

19 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Good choice. The Delta Gams may even let you use their sand volleyball courts, or challenge you to a match :)

There are a few other lots that I would have preferred, but they offered me Lot 4 and I thought it would be good.  It is a little difficult to get into the lot (it is not really at the corner like on the parking map), but I like the fact that it has a large grassy area between the lot and Buchtel.  We may have to put out a few signs to help direct people through Lot 13 which has to be entered via Carroll St.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 6:25 AM, skip-zip said:

Thanks for providing that.  By looking at that list, have I always been missing out by living south of Akron?

State Liquor Store on South Main - Closed on Sunday

State Liquor Store on Manchester - Closed on Sunday

Acme Portage Lakes - No 80 Proof Liquor Sales at all.  (only 1/2 proof shelf liquor)

Giant Eagle Waterloo - State Liquor Store inside, but it's closed on Sunday.  

:(

I was in Canton a few weeks ago and discovered this delightful gem:

http://www.fishersfoods.com/wine-and-beer/

This place is fantastic.  It is hard to believe that it is in a grocery store.  

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We will be hosting the Trojans of Troy...next year is it? I can't keep up with the OOC schedule anymore.

Eh, those aren't the real Trojans. They're more like a cheap knockoff brand haha. 

Anyhow, maybe that "Brain Trust" that took over the Rubber Bowl can buy naming rights when InfoCision runs out....stay tuned for THE RUBBER BOWL II. 

Agreed with both of you. I don't know how good they are, but they don't look like a joke and it'll be a tough game. Looking forward to getting more of a feel of how good our Zips are. Come out of non-conference 2-2 and I think we are well on our way to a bowl game. Troy and ISU will be good challenges as we all thought.

• Like 1