Game 3—Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

4 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

Hope Zack is ok. 

That being said NIU just knocked off Nebraska on the road. 

I'd kill to have a program like theirs.  Not sure that will ever happen with the current staff. Sigh 

It will not. Nebraska would beat us like PSU did.

No worries though because we have a bunch of verbal recruits right now. Some of them actually have offers from other D1 schools. I predict some of them actually make it to campus. ?

I find it sickening to realize how Nelson is a huge A-hole who would actually taunt that Iowa state defender. Where do I start?

1 - look at the scoreboard

2 - You did not even get a first down on that play, big shot!

3 - The player was hurt on the ground, you classless bastard!

What a prick!

14 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

I find it sickening to realize how Nelson is a huge A-hole who would actually taunt that Iowa state defender. Where do I start?

1 - look at the scoreboard

2 - You did not even get a first down on that play, big shot!

3 - The player was hurt on the ground, you classless bastard!

What a prick!

I am finding it hard to like this kid even if he proves to be a great player. 

Whatever Nelson's deal is, he is not ready to lead the offense. Emotional maturity is part of the equation and he isn't there yet.

Woodson looks pretty good and there was some improvement from Smith and Young. Wolfe was in for one play, that I can recall. We badly need him. Nate Stewart made an amazing catch in Q 4. Let's hope he starts seeing more action.

Punting was better and as much as the D struggeled they are much better than last year, but still not close to 2015 quality. We are probably another year away from that, though we have some legit tale talent that still needs further development. It feels like D Line and Safety are still are weakest positions. 

I give props to Campbell. They came ready to shut down Ball and they did. I also give props to the coaching staff for not conti using to force something that wasn't working and let Woodson lead us down the field a couple of times. I also like the 2 back look and wondered why we did not do that more.

We can win 6 games this year if the Zips don't self-destruct. I have been more embarrassed by the cheap hits and stupid penalilties by Zips players than ever before. That being said, the targeting call on Davis was a joke.

Darien Dailey was the star (if there is such a thing today) on defense.  He played well throughout the contest.  I wish I could share zipsoutsider's optimism but six wins is a real stretch to me.  I can't believe, after watching today, that we will win more than 4 total.  Kwads showed his speed, and the move of Ericksen to center in the first half was a great adjustment that gave TW more time.  Why they went back to Quigley in the second half is beyond me.  Boxen, Camara were both invisible, but Williams played well on the D line.

But GOD....those stoooopid penalties!

• Like 1

What I seen. I was there firsthand:

Akron has to stop the dumb penalties. That is a given. However the p-poor tackling/contaiment is far worst. Some of the plays, a Bad City Series/ Suburban League would not do. We are in that game if that happens at Halftime. 

The Iowa State Fans are First Class! They know what they are and I do not know what goes on in Ames, but I wish we had their Fan Base for the level of commitment.

Did we regress that bad? Am I looking into this too much? Are we an average MAC team this year? Heck, Eastern looks good so far, and I thought I would never say that.

I am mad, and I know that, but is there a light at the end of the tunnel that is not a train?

Edited by lance99
  • Thanks 1

Where to start....

Iowa State is a program that I think is on the rise but they are not a team that should have beaten us as bad as they did today. This is a game we could have won if we played our best, and at worst should have lost by the 9 or 10 points the spread was. We showed the ability to stop them and drive on them WITH EASE. Their DL (I don't know if they are any good or not) seemed to dominate our O-line as we were not opening up any holes in the run game. I am still not impressed with our WRs. I would credit some sacks to them. Those I believe are our two weak points on the team, but I do think we have enough talent to have another bowl season so I am not throwing in the towel yet. We do play in the MAC...

With that said, my patience with the coaching staff is wearing very thin. We are still dealing with the same crap that we have been since year 1. Numerous costly penalties and turnovers. We always seems to make the worst of situations. Going for it on 4th down? Offensive line jumps. Ball gets deflected right in your hands for a possible interception? Drop. Fumble in the open field? We try and pick it up and run instead of jump on it and the offense recovers. Blown coverage. Subs look confused everytime one comes in on defense. Hell our defense always looks confused and its rare they are lined up on time. Time after time after time. These are not the plays of winning football program. No offense to Nick Johns, but I have trouble believing a player who was a QB not two weeks ago is one of our best 11 players to put on kickoff. He got knocked on his ass time after time and their wasn't even a return! Were Wolf and Bickley healthy enough to play or not? If they were, I see no reason why our best WRs did not start the game. If they weren't, why did we play them at all? Makes no sense to me. Darian Dailey in my opinion is a pretty darn good player. I see no reason why Jordan George (who I like, but think is playing out of position - even though he did have good coverage on that first TD), is getting so much playing time over him.

I thought the Alvin Davis targeting call was a joke in real-time. It looked like your standard football play to me, but I did not see a replay. It was apparently egregious enough for the refs to uphold.  That is another play that cost us. I didn't see the Kato taunt as I left before then, but that is very disappointing on multiple levels if what I've read is correct.

Like I said, based on getting a read on a similarly talented opponent, I think we have enough talent to have a bowl season. We still need a WR or two to step up and I think holes will be there for Ball come conference play. A lot of our issues, to me, are a result of poor coaching. Injuries can't be used as an excuse (yet anyways). We need to beat the teams we are supposed to beat and finally get over the hump vs a decent team or two. If not, it's time to start looking for fresh blood to lead the program.

• Like 3

To me, this game put the final nail in the coffin for this coaching staff. The nail isn't pounded all the way in, but I feel like the program has regressed in the last couple of years. The discipline on the team is nonexistent, and the talent/player development just isn't there. We consistently look smaller and slower at positions we need to be bigger and faster at. Additionally, I want nothing to do with Milwee. He makes the offensive side of football look harder than it is. Bubble screens do not work when you're blocking with WRs that are sub-6'. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lilroodude said:

To me, this game put the final nail in the coffin for this coaching staff. The nail isn't pounded all the way in, but I feel like the program has regressed in the last couple of years. The discipline on the team is nonexistent, and the talent/player development just isn't there. We consistently look smaller and slower at positions we need to be bigger and faster at. Additionally, I want nothing to do with Milwee. He makes the offensive side of football look harder than it is. Bubble screens do not work when you're blocking with WRs that are sub-6'. 

One of them that got blown up was Chapman completely missed his block, not sure if he is pressing or what but he has dropped a lot of passes & fumbles without any real contact, we just made game 20-14 & had some momentum 

9 hours ago, lilroodude said:

To me, this game put the final nail in the coffin for this coaching staff.

The discipline on the team is nonexistent, and the talent/player development just isn't there. We consistently look smaller and slower at positions we need to be bigger and faster at. Additionally, I want nothing to do with Milwee. He makes the offensive side of football look harder than it is. Bubble screens do not work when you're blocking with WRs that are sub-6'. 

Some good points here.  I sure hope it's not time to turn the page, but it was pretty unanimous at our after-game tailgate that people have really given up on any future with this staff.   Milwee seemed to get the brunt of it.  And the "Bowden aura" is long gone.    The perception that they're building teams from year-to-year instead of "building a program"  keeps coming up.  So does projections about this team maybe winning no more than 4 games.  And the fact that Bowden has only beaten one team with a winning record returned to the surface.  

Even though it bums me out, I have to admit that we failed miserably in our first real "measuring stick game" of the season.  We got embarrassed at home by a team that will probably finish somewhere near the bottom of the Big 12.   And watching things unravel the way they did during the 2nd half of that game certainly has to make some people believe that a change is imminent.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 2

^^ Sounds about right on our side. I thought our starting DEs played well, at least in run defense. I would like to see them get more pressure on passing downs. There seemed to be a drop off when back ups went in. Ball's lack of success really didn't have anything to do with himself.

Observations: Big 12 officiating took away home field advantage and there is a need for more aggressive play calling on offense. I would rather lose a game like this trying to win than get homered in our own stadium. Go for it on 4th and 8 in their territory and when we were close (20-14) pull out the WR pass or something like that (UTEP did it against AZ) to try and take the lead. Beautiful day and the bands were great. I turned around and complimented a couple of Iowa State fans on their band a lady said 'Yeah we know'. Good things - I thought Bell and Jamal Davis played well. Lastly, is there any way that we might want to run back a kickoff or not fair catch a punt or should we just have everyone waive a white flag on these receiving teams?               

Edited by UA1987

47 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Observations: Big 12 officiating took away home field advantage and there is a need for more aggressive play calling on offense. I would rather lose a game like this trying to win than get homered in our own stadium. Go for it on 4th and 8 in their territory and when we were close (20-14) pull out the WR pass or something like that (UTEP did it against AZ) to try and take the lead. Beautiful day and the bands were great. I turned around and complimented a couple of Iowa State fans on their band a lady said 'Yeah we know'. Good things - I thought Bell and Jamal Davis played well. Lastly, is there any way that we might want to run back a kickoff or not fair catch a punt or should we just have everyone waive a white flag on these receiving teams?               

You are exactly right about the officials. That targeting call was terrible. The horse collar was questionable at best. The TD pass that made it 27 to 14, there was a missed hold on our DE coming off the corner who would have had a shot at a sack. At least two blatantly missed block in the back calls. I could continue but I'll stop. 

35 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Why do they have Big-12 officials officiating a MAC home game?  Always bizarre to me.  I can't imagine an incentive for a conference's refs to possibly give the benefit of the doubt to teams from a conference that employs them.  :tomato:

Probably one of the 'conditions' that ISU demanded for playing a game at Akron.

39 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Probably one of the 'conditions' that ISU demanded for playing a game at Akron.

Probably?

Anyhow, the first ref from the game that I looked at is from Rapid City. Very young 31, and I'm sure he does a good job, but they are there to protect their conference members.

There is also another fallout from this game in that we don't have Alvin Davis for the 1st half of the Troy game, which could really hurt as Guiser too may be out in a concussion protocol (not verified).

Lastly, Iowa State will use this game as a recruiting tool as their HC knows NE Ohio. Very costly game for the Zips.           

Edited by UA1987