Game 3—Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

It is really quite common for the refs in a noncoference match up to come from the visiting team's conference. In the majority of games I have watched this year, at both levels (P5 and G5), that has been the case.

If you remember, that is one of the major reasons that Oklahoma State refuses to accept their loss to CMU last season. Gundy believes that the MAC refs were terrible and that is the only reason that they did not know of an extremely obscure rule that was not even challenged by OSU at the time.

Edited by UAZippers

19 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

It is really quite common for the refs in a noncoference match up to come from the visiting team's conference. In the majority of games I have watched this year, at both levels (P5 and G5), that has been the case.

If you remember, that is one of the major reasons that Oklahoma State refuses to accept their loss to CMU last season. Gundy believes that the MAC refs were terrible and that is the only reason that they did not know of an extremely obscure rule that was not even challenged by OSU at the time.

I believe it is determined when the game contract is signed. I wonder, has Akron been able to require the use MAC refs at any away Power 5 game?

It would seem to me that OOC games should be officiated by a non-affiliated officiating team to, at the very least, avoid the appearance of impropriety.        

Edited by UA1987

7 hours ago, UA1987 said:

There is also another fallout from this game in that we don't have Alvin Davis for the 1st half of the Troy game, which could really hurt as Guiser too may be out in a concussion protocol (not verified).           

That's the bad news.

The good news is that Troy isn't showing themselves as the big point scoring machine of the past in their first 3 games.  

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Losing Alvin sucks as I still think that call is a joke, but his replacement (Featherstone) is a starting caliber player as well so I do not expect it to be an issue.

I need to go look at the replay.  My recollection is that he went up over the top of him.  If he hit his head, he hit it with his body.  I'll see if I remembered correctly.  

After the "horsecollar" call, I remember the player going back to the sideline and saying that he had a hold of the guy by his shoulder as he was pulling him backwards.  

Finally got back to Ames.  We had a great time in Akron, starting at 7am in Lot 4, and we didn't leave until 6:30pm.  The staff was great in helping us get things set up in advance.  

Thanks for being gracious hosts, off and on the field.  And all the Zips fans I met were nice.  You are all welcome to tailgate with us next year.   We wish the best to you.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2017 at 9:49 PM, lilroodude said:

To me, this game put the final nail in the coffin for this coaching staff. The nail isn't pounded all the way in, but I feel like the program has regressed in the last couple of years. The discipline on the team is nonexistent, and the talent/player development just isn't there. We consistently look smaller and slower at positions we need to be bigger and faster at. Additionally, I want nothing to do with Milwee. He makes the offensive side of football look harder than it is. Bubble screens do not work when you're blocking with WRs that are sub-6'. 

Milwee is a joke. Until we demote him or get rid of him all together we will continue this pattern of horrible offensive football. Our offense hasn't been consistently good game in and game out since Bowden stopped calling the plays years ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Milwee is a joke. Until we demote him or get rid of him all together we will continue this pattern of horrible offensive football. Our offense hasn't been consistently good game in and game out since Bowden stopped calling the plays years ago.

Play calling was not that bad, yesterday, compared to other games. I was pleased that we have the run a chance to work but moved to the short pass sche.e to march it down the field. Our problem. Was our that they were going to force us to win without Ball. Our receivers and OL did not deliver for us.

I am not a Milder fan, but our offense became consistently good in 2015 and was fine until Tommy got hurt last year.

For those having a fit because Bowden didn't jump all over Nelson after the taunting call, he couldn't see the play (post game interview liink in Troy game thread) and therefore it is logical that he did not have a fit.

31 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

For those having a fit because Bowden didn't jump all over Nelson after the taunting call, he couldn't see the play (post game interview liink in Troy game thread) and therefore it is logical that he did not have a fit.

Huh? Bowden has a headset on that is connected to the coaches in the press box. I guarantee that those guys had a clear view of what transpired on the field during Kato's antics. 

40 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

they were going to force us to win without Ball.

This isn't rocket science everyone.  

We were going to have much more difficulty blocking Iowa State than we did against UAPB

And, Iowa State has guys that can tackle much better than UAPB.  

That's the end of the analysis.  Running the football in Week 2 vs. Week 3 was going to be incredibly more difficult., no matter what anyone thinks about how Iowa State planned to stop our offense.   

You have to make a lot of big plays to win games like this, and I think we only had ONE.  There were 3 Iowa State fumbles laying on the ground in the first half, and we got NONE of them.  Our only fumble resulted in a turnover.  That's the way it goes.  A lot of things need to work in your favor in a game like this.  

But if I were to point out one critical play:  You can't have an OL jump early on a 4th down play in ISU territory in the 3rd quarter when  you are only down 6 points.  Not giving ourselves a chance to convert at that moment essentially ended our last chance to win the ball game.    

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

Huh? Bowden has a headset on that is connected to the coaches in the press box. I guarantee that those guys had a clear view of what transpired on the field during Kato's antics. 

Anyone who chews out a player for the sake o f instant gratification before having idea of what happened is a fool. But based on the response around here, we have a lot of those these days.

20 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Anyone who chews out a player for the sake o f instant gratification before having idea of what happened is a fool. But based on the response around here, we have a lot of those these days.

Hilltopper is anything but a fool.

19 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

You sound like you are about to lose it because people are "starting" to be a little more critical of the coaching staff. 

Just wanted to say that we were really impressed by Infocision Stadium and the Zips fans that we met.  The overall turnout wasn't good, but the ones who were out were a good time.  I enjoyed the town as well.  Downtown was a little slow Saturday night, but we had plenty of fun Friday night in Highland Square and had a good end to Saturday night at the bars by campus.

My only complaint was the absolute cluster f*ck that was picking up will call tickets.

• Like 2

I was hoping that fan(s) of the 10 personnel would have some good analysis of what they saw from the Zips offense since they played so much of it during this game. I don't have numbers, but I would guess we were in 10 personnel seventy percent of the time. 

Interesting comment by Jacob. 

qb.jpg

I was unaware that the rule changed. Starting this season, it’s also a foul if he grabs the runner around the nameplate and hauls him down that way. That’s what the rule means by including “the area.”

Updated rule.

• Like 1

^^I had a good view of that play & saw that Sampson had only grabbed him by the jersey.  I just figured the refs got the call wrong, which would be really easy to do in that situation.  Didn't know the rule had been broadened.  Thanks, Doc.

P.s., I watched Sampson explaining to Bowden he only grabbed the jersey.  I was a bit surprised Akron didn't challenge the call but now understand why they didn't.

^^ I can relate, Balsy. While I think of myself as a realist and not a Bowden apologist or whatever, I would assume I am more patient than the old grumps is because the only ever Zips football I've ever known is 1-11 and 1-11. Then again, football before that wasn't anything to brag about either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Anybody notice a Zips quarterback playing on kickoff coverage during the Iowa State game?

Yeah I brought it up in my initial post game thoughts. He got knocked on his butt at least half the time and there wasn't even a return. No offense to him as I like him being a team player and doing whatever it is to get on the field, but I have trouble believing he is one of the best 11 to put out there.....at least yet.

Edited by LZIp

46 minutes ago, LZIp said:

^^ I can relate, Balsy. While I think of myself as a realist and not a Bowden apologist or whatever, I would assume I am more patient than the old grumps is because the only ever Zips football I've ever known is 1-11 and 1-11. Then again, football before that wasn't anything to brag about either.

Old grump checking in here to say even though you were born into the abject poverty of 1-11 Zips football you should still dream big.  You may never make it into the 13-0 1 percenter lifestyle but you shouldn't be satisfied with a 5-7 dead end job even though it did get you off the street.

4 minutes ago, K92 said:

Old grump checking in here to say even though you were born into the abject poverty of 1-11 Zips football you should still dream big.  You may never make it into the 13-0 1 percenter lifestyle but you shouldn't be satisfied with a 5-7 dead end job even though it did get you off the street.

I'll never be satisfied with a ceiling of 5-7.