Game 3—Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

17 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Tennessee might be giving him a call.

Ugh.  I wouldn't go near the Tennessee program.  And there is so much arrogance to deal with there.  If Campbell wants just to coach, he is already in a good place to do it.  If he wants to become a pawn in a huge game of fundraising and donor ego management, then go to Knoxville.  

However, Campbell wouldn't be the first Iowa State head coach to go to Tennessee.  I was on a flight a few weeks ago and happened to sit next to Johnny Majors who left Ames to go to Knoxville.  

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

How much is ISU willing and able to pay him and staff? There is more $$$$$ sloshing around in the B1G and SEC.

This is the big question.  I think our donors will dig deep.  Our AD has shown that he will reward success and promise.  He did so with our previous head coach when he set the world on fire with a 6-win season.  But there is no way that we can dig Big 10 or SEC deep.  If Campbell wants the money, he will have plenty of opportunities to get it.  I think he will take his Iowa State money (and low cost of living) for several years until the right offer comes along.  In the long run, he will be able to do what he wants to do (change the culture of a program and turn it into a winner, then go on to try to be recognized as a premier coach of a premier program).  He can make as much money at Iowa State and the premier program as he can by leaving Iowa State for an intermediate stop before the premier program.  And there is so much risk that his ability to succeed will get limited by the baggage of the wannabe premier program.  Of course, there is also risk that he can't overcome our culture of not being very good, but he seems to be doing pretty well with us.

Perhaps the other big question is how deep the pockets of the Purple Raiders are!  

3 minutes ago, Cykron said:

However, Campbell wouldn't be the first Iowa State head coach to go to Tennessee.  I was on a flight a few weeks ago and happened to sit next to Johnny Majors who left Ames to go to Knoxville.  

I've always wanted to end up on a flight with someone famous.  Never happens. 

But you forgot one important fact.  Majors made a stop in Pitt and won a National Championship in between his tenures at ISU and Tennessee.  

Just now, skip-zip said:

I've always wanted to end up on a flight with someone famous.  Never happens. 

But you forgot one important fact.  Majors made a stop in Pitt and won a National Championship in between his tenures at ISU and Tennessee.  

Darn it.  That totally ruins my argument.  Thanks a lot for reminding me of that little fact.  I bow in defeat before you, Buckszip, and others.  :bow:

P.S.  Iowa being a low population state with cool things like the Iowa Caucus and World Food Prize increases the odds of having flights with famous people.  I've met presidential candidates and ambassadors on flights to/from Des Moines.  But Johnny Majors was my best yet!  

• 2 weeks later...

As we go into the last week of the Big 12 season:

• if Iowa State beats Kansas State on the road, and
  • if TCU loses to Baylor, (1-10) and
  • if Oklahoma State loses to Kansas (1-10), and
  • if Texas loses to Texas Tech, and
  • if West Virginia loses to Oklahoma, then

Iowa State will play Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game!  

"So, they're saying there's a chance?"

Just us winning is big enough in itself.   We have lost the last 9 games to the Vampire Bill Snyder who only comes to life once per year to suck our blood.  Seriously, the endings of our games are bordering on demonic.  

On 11/21/2017 at 5:19 PM, ZipsVoice said:

HEY!  We’ve got a game in less than ah hour!  Leave us alone!  We don’t have time for the Cyclones right now...

Come on.  You clicked on a post in the Iowa State thread.  What did you expect?  I purposefully posted this here and not in other threads because it was game day.  

News flash.  Matt Campbell named Big 12 Coach of the Year. 

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211687744

It will be especially noteworthy if Lincoln Riley of Oklahoma wins National Coach of the Year.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

As you know, Iowa State fans like to tailgate.  Well, apparently we like going to bowl games too (who knew, as we have only won 3 in 120 years of football).  The Liberty Bowl is sold out and we will probably have 40% of the crowd (25,000).  We have taken over Memphis.  Exhibit A:

This is 3:30pm Friday.  Our game isn't until Saturday!   Oops.  That's a lot of business profit going untapped!

• Like 1

Our season almost came down to this "fumble," our one-and-only lost fumble of the entire season.  Does that look like a fumble to you?  Or a TD?  Fortunately, our defense held on for the win. 

https://twitter.com/MouserTim/status/947510171496042497/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23947510171496042497

Looking forward to seeing some of you in Ames in September.

Edited by Cykron

One other note.  I stayed true to the Zips all the way to the bowl game, even so much as to get my car washed at Zips in Memphis.   I wore my Zips pin until it got replaced by a Liberty Bowl pin as my most recent road trip for the Cyclones.  

zips car wash 3.jpg

Edited by Cykron
  • Like 1

Not sure where else to put this other than here... 

Not really of interest to me, but maybe @Cykron will find it useful

Iowa State: Source tells FootballScoop former Kent State head coach Paul Haynes is expected to join Iowa State’s staff. Haynes had an offer to join Cincinnati’s staff as well; and potentially others we heard; but sources tell us he is expected to join the Iowa State staff now.

15 hours ago, CDMac said:

Interesting.  I haven't been paying much attention to the search, but I assume that this might be to replace Lou Ayeni, RB coach who took the same job as Northwestern.   I'm sorry to see him go.  Northwestern is his alma mater and his wife is from Chicago.  Ames is not Chicago (I write from Skokie, adjacent to Evanston).  I suspect there is more to the story, such as a better path to OC at Northwestern than Iowa State (where the OC is Tom Manning a Mount Union friend of Matt Campbell).  

Still, it is hard to imagine Ayeni leaving Iowa State.  He is leaving the cupboard full.  Ayeni "led" Matt Campbell to Iowa State by leaving Toledo first and bringing one of the guys in the RB room (Mike Warren, freshman offensive player of the year in the Big 12 three seasons ago).  I've talked with Ayeni about being significantly responsible for Campbell coming to Iowa State because of the communication he maintained.  He didn't deny it.  And then Campbell brings  David Montgomery.  RB Coach for Iowa State is a really good job right now because he would be walking right into one of the best RB rooms in the country, featuring David Montgomery (first team All-American by Pro Football Focus based on analytics, not votes) and plenty of other talent.  

If our o-line can block better, Montgomery could have a Heisman-caliber year.  It has happened before for Iowa State.  See Troy Davis, the only RB with back to back 2000 yard seasons.  And that was on a team that didn't have anything else, so everyone knew that he was going to get the ball every time.  We will be talking much more about Montgomery and the other RBs as the fall approaches.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2018 at 6:27 PM, CDMac said:

A Des Moines Register sportswriter is now saying that the report of Paul Haynes coming to Iowa State is "not true."  Anybody hearing anything else about him?  Did Cincinnati make a better offer?  Or did he decide to stay at Kent State?  Hahahaha on that one.  

4 hours ago, Cykron said:

A Des Moines Register sportswriter is now saying that the report of Paul Haynes coming to Iowa State is "not true."  Anybody hearing anything else about him?  Did Cincinnati make a better offer?  Or did he decide to stay at Kent State?  Hahahaha on that one.  

I heard he's still at KSU, but they moved his office to a basement storage area and took away his stapler.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Big news for Iowa State.  Tom Manning, OC, is leaving to coach tight ends for the Indianapolis Colts.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me except that he must have really wanted to be in the NFL and got a chance with Frank Reich (a fellow member of the Mount Union cult).   I don't think his value can be overestimated, so I'm really sorry to see him go.  Sounds like we are going to promote Manning's GA (Jeff Myers, yet another member of the Mount Union cult).  

1 minute ago, Cykron said:

Big news for Iowa State.  Tom Manning, OC, is leaving to coach tight ends for the Indianapolis Colts.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me except that he must have really wanted to be in the NFL and got a chance with Frank Reich (a fellow member of the Mount Union cult).   I don't think his value can be overestimated, so I'm really sorry to see him go.  Sounds like we are going to promote Manning's GA (Jeff Myers, yet another member of the Mount Union cult).  

GA to OC?!?!? Heck of a promotion if so.

54 minutes ago, LZIp said:

GA to OC?!?!? Heck of a promotion if so.

It is testing the fan's trust of Matt Campbell who want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it is just doesn't seem right at first glance.  Apparently, the GA has been working closely with Manning for many years so he is well-known for his ability to understand and run the offense.  Plus these Mount Union guys just seem to connect at an alternative level of reality than the rest of us.  It is also likely that Campbell himself will be working closely with the offense and maybe even calling plays for himself.