Game 3—Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

Iowa State fan.  We are the Cyclones.  Hence "Cykron" for a username.  Not the most clever, but I cheer for both teams, except on September 16th.  

I just saw that game times have been announced for several of Iowa State's games.  Akron is at Noon.  Looking forward to being there with you.  

• Like 3

Welcome to the board and welcome in advance to Akron. We have had home and homes with Syracuse and Pitt and beaten them on the road only to lose at home on the return trips to Infocision. We have also lost to Indiana at home and would obviously love to add another P5 win. Matt Campbell is a local product (Canton) and former MAC coach so there's a good storyline for this game. Should be a good one.

Hopefully it will be a good game in which the Zips come out ahead. Iowa State is still not very good, but they seem to be trending upwards (if even very slowly) under Campbell. I recall reading positive things about them this offseason. We get them after Iowa and before Texas at home on ESPN. Hope they look past us. We beat them out for a few recruits this season. We need this game.

Indeed, Iowa State is trending up.  We were the best 3-Win team in the country last year.  Seriously.  

We pounded Texas Tech 66-10 toward the end of the season and knocked Mahomes out of the Heisman race.  Our previous starting QB, Joel Lanning, didn't start that game, but still scored 5 TDs (mostly breaking long runs in short yardage situations).  And still didn't start the next game.  And Lanning now has been moved to starting MLB.  Yes, Campbell is coaching his way.  And he has a former 4-star QB, Jacob Park, who originally went to Georgia who he moved to starting QB toward the end of last season.  Park is a very confident, gun-slinger who really seems to have earned Campbell's favor.  

We were competitive into the 4th quarter in several games last year, but we just didn't have the depth to hold on to the end.  Tom Manning took an offensive line that lost its best player before the season started and turned it into a decent unit by the end of the season.  I think we had 1 previous start on the o-line when we started the season.  Campbell's first two recruiting class are the best we've ever had, including the first one in which he started at the end of November 2015 with only half of his staff in place.  

We tend to be an ever-loyal bunch of fans.  One article called us the "most loyal fanbase" by dividing attendance over 3 years by number of wins!  We will have 60,000 in attendance when you come to town next year.  And that is both evidence of our loyalty as fans, and the ultimate proof that there is nothing else to do in Iowa.  It was the facilities, gameday environment, and probably the Big 12 paychecks that made Campbell get interested in the Iowa State job.  

I'm sure we will have more to discuss as the summer rolls on.  I'll try to post some links to previews about Iowa State, both objective ones and homers, as well as other interesting bits about us.  

4 hours ago, Steve1982 said:

I'm also planning on driving up from NC to see this game. I root for the Zips and the Hawkeyes so there is not doubt who I'll be rooting for. As we get closer I'll be needing some tailgating info from all you experts.

Hope you are doubly disappointed on Sept 16th!  

Akron fans should know that the Iowa State / Iowa rivalry is our lower-grade version of the Ohio State / Michigan rivalry, but it is quite intense.  On Sept. 9th, no one in Iowa cheers for both teams!  

Iowa State is the agriculture, engineering, vet school.

Iowa is the medical, law school.  

Northern Iowa is the teachers' college.

In other words, Iowa has the money.  And they proved it with a $6.5m settlement for wrongful firing a field hockey coach and Assistant AD. 

We prefer to think of Iowa as Eastern Iowa University because they cater to the Chicago suburbs and Iowa State is "the" state university of Iowa.  

If we enter the Akron game with victories over our two in-state rivals (both of whom beat us last year), we will be confident.  And we probably won't be looking ahead to Texas because that game is 12 days later on a Thursday (in our effort to prepare someday to join the MAC).  

Hello Pot!  When I make my annual trip to 

Akron, It does amaze me that one can park anywhere down town for $1.25 all day.  That is a good indicator of all the things going on in the metro.

Cykron, I'll be making the trip to Akron as well.  Tailgating at the Info?  Except for some uninspired efforts, Tailgating is limited to Lot 9.  I plan to pay the $30 to try to get a spot there.  It's a pretty lively spot pregame, but nothing post game.  By the way, a strong PK could almost put an extra point kick into lot 9!  Great location.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 1:14 PM, Ham said:

Hello Pot!  When I make my annual trip to 

Akron, It does amaze me that one can park anywhere down town for $1.25 all day.  That is a good indicator of all the things going on in the metro.

Cykron, I'll be making the trip to Akron as well.  Tailgating at the Info?  Except for some uninspired efforts, Tailgating is limited to Lot 9.  I plan to pay the $30 to try to get a spot there.  It's a pretty lively spot pregame, but nothing post game.  By the way, a strong PK could almost put an extra point kick into lot 9!  Great location.

We have a very strong tailgating tradition.  It was part of what made Campbell want to come to Ames.  We are hoping to put together something for our fans who come to tailgate.  Friendly Zip fans are also welcome.  

Cycron, there may be other places with a great tailgating experience, but Ames is a happening place.  Lot 9 is a really fun spot, but Ames would be Lot 9 X 1,000.  I've been working on friends to make the trip with little success.  Side trips like 15 mins to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, less than an hour to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, some great craft brewers raise an eyebrow, but no takers so far.  Like I said, I'll try for a spot in lot 9(which is theoretically for season ticket holders that are generous donors), but if you can put together a sizable group, there are other lots that could work.  There was some silly notion that alcohol would be prohibited, but  that was either abandon or just ignored.  They were charging $30 for first come single passes to Lot 9, but that's a bargain compared to Ames.

c

• Like 1

Thanks Ham.  I appreciate the advice.  I was in Akron a few weeks ago and scoped it out pretty well.  And I have family and friends in the area to help with connections to the university.  We had our eyes on Lot 9, but will probably end up doing something bigger, so we will need to move a little farther from the stadium.  

There are so many cool things in the area for those who don't get there very often, such as the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  I think we will have a lot of fans who will come and make a long weekend in order to take advantage of the opportunities.

1 hour ago, Steve1982 said:

Any chance you can get Darian Cotton? My all time favorite Cyclone, 

cotton.JPG

I don't know him personally, though i think he is from Iowa.  He was a fumble-forcing machine.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LZIp said:

I did not know where best to put it, so I choose here.

Cool.  I hope he comes.  It is shaping up to be a very fun day!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Is there any position a former QB can't be converted to??

A person playing the most important position has never been converted into the second most important position as far as I know.

20 minutes ago, K92 said:

A person playing the most important position has never been converted into the second most important position as far as I know.

Center? While not official, I think Jared Lorenzen would be a good candidate.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/jared-lorenzen-hefty-lefty-new-york-giants-500-pounds-project-lose-weight-videos

• Haha 1