Game 3—Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

9 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Anybody notice a Zips quarterback playing on kickoff coverage during the Iowa State game?

I'm assuming you're referring to Alex Ramart -- ?  He looked very good, making a nice tackle early in the game.  Now that I think about it, that might have been a punt defense.  The announcers mentioned his status also. 

And while I'm at this, the broadcast showed the "targeting" re-play about three times, and it was clear the hit was with the shoulder.  The play-by-play man was pretty flabbergasted by the call.  There ought to be a way to litigate these calls after the game, as there often is in professional sports.

Edited by Z.I.P.

48 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I'm assuming you're referring to Alex Ramart -- ?  He looked very good, making a nice tackle early in the game.  Now that I think about it, that might have been a punt defense.  The announcers mentioned his status also. 

And while I'm at this, the broadcast showed the "targeting" re-play about three times, and it was clear the hit was with the shoulder.  The play-by-play man was pretty flabbergasted by the call.  There ought to be a way to litigate these calls after the game, as there often is in professional sports.

They was talking about Johns, don't believe Ramart will play this year

Johns is 4th string & now doing special teams & tight end/H back because he wants to play

26 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

They was talking about Johns, don't believe Ramart will play this year

Johns is 4th string & now doing special teams & tight end/H back because he wants to play

Poor kid.  He left Virginia because they wanted him to change positions and now he is at Akron changing positions.

Not to change the subject from Bowden-bashing, but it is interesting to hear the reaction from Iowa State coaches and media.  They were very dissatisfied with the outcome.  We fans just enjoyed a big win, but the coaches and media really focused on things that still need improvement.  Here are a few links:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2017/09/17/peterson-youve-got-appreciate-campbells-honesty-even-after-27-point-road-victory/674741001/

https://cyclonefanatic.com/podcasts/instant-reaction-iowa-states-win-over-akron/

https://cyclonefanatic.com/podcasts/podcast-williams-woody-analyze-the-first-three-weeks-of-the-season/

11 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Not to change the subject from Bowden-bashing, but it is interesting to hear the reaction from Iowa State coaches and media.  They were very dissatisfied with the outcome.  We fans just enjoyed a big win, but the coaches and media really focused on things that still need improvement.  Here are a few links:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2017/09/17/peterson-youve-got-appreciate-campbells-honesty-even-after-27-point-road-victory/674741001/

https://cyclonefanatic.com/podcasts/instant-reaction-iowa-states-win-over-akron/

https://cyclonefanatic.com/podcasts/podcast-williams-woody-analyze-the-first-three-weeks-of-the-season/

Ok, so let me get this straight. . .

You're coming here to give us a little respite from the Bowden bashing by posting up some links which basically say ISU should have beaten our team by way more than 27 points.

Thank God you're not here to bash Bowden.  Your post may be the most passive aggressive post of all time.  Bravo!  ?????

Edited by K92

6 minutes ago, K92 said:

Ok, so let me get this straight. . .

You're coming here to give us a little respite from the Bowden bashing by posting up some links which basically say ISU should have beaten our team by way more than 27 points.

Thank God you're not here to bash Bowden.

Yeah, I guess that is what I did.  Sorry about that.  Frankly, I was a little surprised by the immediate reaction.  Personally, I just enjoyed us playing a decent game and winning the second half (which we haven't done very much).  I understand that the coaches want to keep us moving forward, but I thought that would come this week.  As a diehard fan of a frequent 3-win team, I just wanted to enjoy it for 24 hours or so.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cykron said:

Yeah, I guess that is what I did.  Sorry about that.  Frankly, I was a little surprised by the immediate reaction.  Personally, I just enjoyed us playing a decent game and winning the second half (which we haven't done very much).  I understand that the coaches want to keep us moving forward, but I thought that would come this week.  As a diehard fan of a frequent 3-win team, I just wanted to enjoy it for 24 hours or so.  

That's okay Cykron, at least your coach didn't come out and say that beating Northern Iowa was just like beating Akron!  :lol:

Hope you guys are watching on Thursday night as we host Texas in the Big 12 imitation of MAC-tion.  Seriously, we have had some fun games on weeknights.  In 2013, the refs took the Texas game away from us after calling a play back when we stripped the ball at the goal line and were heading for a TD with no whistles blowing until very, very, very late.  In 2011, we ended the BCS era by knocking Oklahoma State out of the national championship game and putting Alabama in by a statistical thread (but try to get a Tide fan to admit it, never happen).  In 2015, though not on a weeknight, it was Halloween and we shut out the Smallhorns.  The crowd was going nuts as Texas desperately tried to score at the end . . . and failed.  

We won't have a sellout because of Thursday night, but we will still have 55k fans (providing further proof that there isn't much to do in Iowa ;)).  And Thursday night games are killers for tailgating.  Hope your game next season gets scheduled for a Saturday afternoon or evening, so you can maximize your experience in Ames.  

Edited by Cykron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our season has taken an interesting twist.  It seems that our starting QB did not make the trip to Oklahoma and has "taken leave" of the team for "personal medical reasons."  Reliable sources are saying there is an issue between him and the head coach.  And there are other less reliable sources adding other thoughts.  700+ posts today about it.  Again, further proof that there is nothing else to do in Iowa.  

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Our season has taken an interesting twist.  It seems that our starting QB did not make the trip to Oklahoma and has "taken leave" of the team for "personal medical reasons."  Reliable sources are saying there is an issue between him and the head coach.  And there are other less reliable sources adding other thoughts.  700+ posts today about it.  Again, further proof that there is nothing else to do in Iowa.  

Yikes!

17 minutes ago, Cykron said:

He & Matt Campbell were really getting into it on the sideline during your last game.

11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

He & Matt Campbell were really getting into it on the sideline during your last game.

I sit in the front row of the upper deck corner with a pretty good view of our sideline, but didn't see it until I watched the replay on TV.  Campbell was saying good things about Park after the game and even making light of Park's personality.  However, it seems that it continued through the week.  And a backup took most of the snaps during practice.  Personally, I really like Park and his somewhat of an SOB attitude.  I'm hoping that Campbell's "trust the process" schtick takes Park to the next level.  He has enormous talent, but he needs keep himself under control and remember who the coach is.  

Edited by Cykron
  • Like 1