Game 3—Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

23 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Iowa State blew that game.  Definitely should have won. 

Typical Iowa State,  snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If we can pressure the QB we have a chance. Otherwise with those big receivers it could be a long day. Iowa let them back in the game 3rd quarter when Park had time to throw. he was not too accurate with any rush at all.

Blowing games is what we do.  It's what we've always done.  I hope we just come out bombs away on Saturday.  Sling the rock, and use the pass to set up the run.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a 50/50 crowd and good energy from our squad.  I also could see us being hungover and falling on our face.

I have no idea what to make of your squad.  I don't take much away from being shredded by a likely playoff team, nor do I take much from shedding one of the worst FCS programs.

That makes me nervous.  Line seems about right, but I wouldn't be shocked by any result.

Two injured lineman according to Don Best injury "report."

09/10/17 DL Jamahl Johnson Ankle "?" Saturday vs. Akron

09/10/17 OL Oge Udeogu Elbow "?" Saturday vs. Akron

Junior right guard Oge Udeogu wasn’t dressed for Saturday’s game and had his right arm wrapped. ISU Coach Matt Campbell said he had cleanup surgery on his elbow after getting “dinged up a little bit” in practice the week before.

2 hours ago, blueandgold said:

I definitely feel that we're going to have our hands full against Iowa State. We have to establish the run early and hope that our receivers can catch the ball when given the opportunity.

I'd start with the pass game if they come out in a run stop defense. I think they will target Warren Ball and see if our previously injured QB can pass and if our depleted receiver corps from last year can get open. No read option if Woodson is not a serious threat in running the football for nice gains and the decision needs to be quick if we do run it. Work Warren into the game for 20 to 25 carries with a balanced attack once they back out of the box. I also wouldn't mind seeing a little razzle dazzle fake or a Chapman pass in this game. Iowa State is very good and we will have to do just about everything right to win. Lets hope Bowden doesn't treat this as a scrimmage in order to work into shape for MAC play. These winnable out of conference games mean a lot to the fans and could determine if we get a decent bowl invite. By the way, I have to wonder if the Bahama bowl or some of the lower tier Florida bowls will be available this year after hurricane Irma.      

Edited by UA1987

18 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

I'd start with the pass game if they come out in a run stop defense. I think they will target Warren Ball and see if our previously injured QB can pass and if our depleted receiver corps from last year can get open. No read option if Woodson is not a serious threat in running the football for nice gains and the decision needs to be quick if we do run it. Work Warren into the game for 20 to 25 carries with a balanced attack once they back out of the box. I also wouldn't mind seeing a little razzle dazzle fake or a Chapman pass in this game. Iowa State is very good and we will have to do just about everything right to win. Lets hope Bowden doesn't treat this as a scrimmage in order to work into shape for MAC play. These winnable out of conference games mean a lot to the fans and could determine if we get a decent bowl invite. By the way, I have to wonder if the Bahama bowl or some of the lower tier Florida bowls will be available this year after hurricane Irma.      

I would like to see us through to Ball if they load up to stop the run. We need to get him the ball, one way or the other.

19 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Two injured lineman according to Don Best injury "report."

09/10/17 DL Jamahl Johnson Ankle "?" Saturday vs. Akron

09/10/17 OL Oge Udeogu Elbow "?" Saturday vs. Akron

Junior right guard Oge Udeogu wasn’t dressed for Saturday’s game and had his right arm wrapped. ISU Coach Matt Campbell said he had cleanup surgery on his elbow after getting “dinged up a little bit” in practice the week before.

More important is that #5 Kamari Cotton-Moya didn't finish the game last week and seems unlikely to play this week.  He is our hardest hitting DB and we are a much weaker defense against the run without him.  Exhibit A:  see the end of the game last Saturday.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

This will be the 1st game where we can make any real judgement on the Zips this season. I'm expecting to lose by 10+ points as we lost a lot of talent from what proved to not be that great of a team last year. I would love for the Zips to prove me wrong and pull off the upset. 

You are correct.  This is the first real "measuring stick" for where we stand.  

I'd like to compare this to what we were thinking heading into the App State game at home last year.  We opened with a demolition of a I-AA and a blowout loss to a Major last year too.  But unlike this year, we had a 3rd game against Marshall before our high-profile home game, and that performance certainly had us feeling much more confident than I think most of us will feel heading into this game.  

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

@Cykron are there any NFL prospects on Iowa State's team that Zips fans (that like that kind of thing) can look out for?

A lot of us talk about #5 WR Allen Lazard as an NFL prospect.  He is smart, has great size and shape, good route runner, but is a little slow.  He is also a solid punt returner.  And while he has made big plays for three years, he has also dropped easy catches in the first two games.  He needs to have a spectacular rest of the season because I think his draft stock has gone down so far this year.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Steve1982 said:

Typical Iowa State,  snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If we can pressure the QB we have a chance. Otherwise with those big receivers it could be a long day. Iowa let them back in the game 3rd quarter when Park had time to throw. he was not too accurate with any rush at all.

Iowa State fans refer to this as strapping on your nut cup!  We have been kicked in the groin so often.  Exhibit B:  The Kansas State game two seasons ago that was the final straw for the previous head coach.  

Our fan site even tried to make some nut cups with their logo on them, but got shut down by the trademark nazis.  

Edited by Cykron

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

@Cykron are there any NFL prospects on Iowa State's team that Zips fans (that like that kind of thing) can look out for?

WR, Allen Lazard will certainly be a draft pick.  

This game will be very similar to Penn State.  Stud RB, WR, and QB capable of getting the ball to either.  Talent level won't be as high, but the Zips will have their hands full.

What is the early weather forecast?

Speaking of our fan site, if you haven't already done so, you have to visit CycloneFanatic.com.  As you can tell, I spend quite a bit of time on various fan websites.  I have never seen anything remotely close to this site.  It is huge (more than 10,000 active users) and it is a true community.  The publisher of the site raises money for kids with special medical needs and we all rally to support the causes.  You can get help with just about anything (with actual help mixed in amongst the clever comments).  Of course, you have to expect trolls (mostly from Eastern Iowa University) and idiots (junior high kids and 40 year olds living in their mother's basements).  The "ignore" tool is your best friend as it blocks their "contributions" from your view (until someone else replies to them).  

And there is even some really good football analysis and perspective.  For instance, here is a really good piece on last Saturday's game with Eastern Iowa University.  https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/the-sunday-after-iowa-instant-classic.230970/

And an interview with Head Coach Matt Campbell.  https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/podcast-one-on-one-w-campbell-pre-akron.231001/

We have a wide variety of podcasts, such as ones by Jared Stansbury and Rob Gray that actually focus on football.  We have CFTV breakdowns of previous games with Jeff Woody, the RB who scored our most famous TD in the double OT win over Oklahoma State in 2011.  And the FAWcast (Friday After Work) is pretty much what all of us do at the bar on Friday nights during away games ("these guys will say anything").  

The site is pretty generous in accepting users from other teams.  Just don't be a jerk.  Expect us to be overconfident.  After all, we were the best 3-win team in the country last year!  And we are a member of the Big 12 and you are in the MAC, so that means we are better, right?  Cyclone Fanatic is a fan site.  Don't expect it to be anything else.  Our chief fanatic, Chris Williams (C-Dub) is fond of saying, "We aren't Cyclone fans because it is easy, we are Cyclone fans because it is awesome."  Seriously, we have the most loyal fans as proved by statistics that compare attendance to wins over the last three years for all D1 football programs.  We're #1, we're #1.  The photo of tailgating below shows only about half of the official university tailgating lots.  We look forward to seeing you in Ames next year.  If you come, you are welcome at mine or any one of 1000 others, because it is really just one big tailgate.  Seriously, if you aren't a jerk and you wish us good luck as you walk through the tailgate lots, you will be offered drinks dozens of times.  Looking forward to seeing some of you there.  I'm Cycsk.

image.png

• Thanks 2

We currently have 124 RSVP's for our tailgate, only a handful of whom I've ever met.   Even some Zips fans.   

We have RSVP's from 124 people for the tailgate in Akron, even some Zips fans.  And we have settled on a menu featuring Montechristo breakfast sandwiches (ham & cheese with cardinal and gold dipping sauces), Cyclone OJ (vodka, OJ, and a grenadine swirl), and more.   

Hope to see some of you there.

Edited by Cykron

We seem to match up size wise with Iowa State, except that they have tall talented receivers. Iowa State has more depth, but I think we are close to their athleticism. I'm not 100% sold on their QB who has only 5 starts under his belt, but had a good week against iowa. Not sure how special teams compare, but these squads will play an important role, if Bowden goes all out to game plan and tries win this one with all hands on deck.      

Edited by UA1987

11 hours ago, you am i said:

Remember the name David Montgomery. You'll be hearing it a lot during the game. He's a running back for Iowa State who is tough to stop.

David Montgomery is from Mount Healthy High School in Cincinnati.

2 minutes ago, Cykron said:

David Montgomery is from Mount Healthy High School in Cincinnati.

And speaking of Ohio, did you know:

• Many of the early settlers in Iowa were from Ohio.
  • Our stadium is named after Jack Trice from Hiram, Ohio.  He played high school for East Tech in Cleveland and came to Iowa State with his coach, Sam Willaman.
  • My wife is from Akron (Bath Township, Revere High School).

I guess this means that Ohio is a good place to be from!  Take that however you want to.  

Two Ohio State head coaches have come from Iowa State:  Sam Willaman and Earl Bruce.  

It seems that there was an intentional effort in the early 20th Century for Iowa State to become more like Ohio State in terms of its athletic program.  Didn't quite work out.