Summer 2017 workouts

zzx

2 hours ago, zzx said:

Great to see such enthusiasm in the weight room.  One of the things that Coach Campbell criticized about Iowa State when he arrived was that we didn't have very many guys that could lift the big numbers.  

Very proud of our team in sending some members over to Kent in support of their grieving team. That's total class and I'm proud of these Zips. This gets me more excited for Zip football than any cheap promotion our almost non-existent marketing dept can think of.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I am not getting my hopes up again.  I have zero expectations and will be ecstatic if we get a pleasant surprise.  Yeah, that's it.  The old reverse psychology trick.

Newman Williams  (Jr.) #35 TE

Team Squat Record broken on 06/23/17 by Newman Williams by squatting 630 twice, then on 06/30/17 squatted 655 twice and on the same date pushed the bar higher by squatting 675.  With this type of lower body power, short yards in game situation should be no doubt who should get the ball, or even on defense, need a run stopper, there it is.  What does the nation think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VSC1060 said:

Team Squat Record broken on 06/23/17 by Newman Williams by squatting 630 twice, then on 06/30/17 squatted 655 twice and on the same date pushed the bar higher by squatting 675.  With this type of lower body power, short yards in game situation should be no doubt who should get the ball, or even on defense, need a run stopper, there it is.  What does the nation think?

Newman Williams is one of the more highly discussed players on here. Various opinions on how he should be used, but I think most can agree its hard to do anything if he doesn't get and stay healthy.

I think the best way for any team to utilize any talented player is to use them at TE.

Holy cow!  That is impressive.  If he can use that power for blocking in short yardage situations, I pity the DE who gets double-teamed.

I'm generally suspicious of how well that kind of lifting translates on to the field, but here is a link to a Northern Iowa alumni who was a freak in the weight-room and is doing alright in the NFL now.   https://arizonasports.com/story/729233/david-johnson-leg-day-frightening/

Not looking forward to facing Williams on short yardage.  

I was just curious about something I've wondered for a while -- are the athletes who arrive "early", be it for Summer workouts or incoming freshmen who grad early -- able to stay in the dorms or do they have to find housing and pay rent?