Summer 2017 workouts

zzx

13 minutes ago, K92 said:

Maybe this QB should have been made a WR earlier and maybe the WR who came in as an emergency QB last year should have stayed a QB.

Nah.

Seems like quite an assumption based on the very limited info we have.

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Seems like quite an assumption based on the very limited info we have.

All I know is this. . . We have a very athletic player who is now a Senior who has not contributed a whole lot.  Seems like an incredible waste of talent.  How many times have you heard a coach say about a talented player "we gotta find a way to get him on the field"?  We didn't find a way.

Better late than never, I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K92 said:

All I know is this. . . We have a very athletic player who is now a Senior who has not contributed a whole lot.  Seems like an incredible waste of talent.  How many times have you heard a coach say about a talented player "we gotta find a way to get him on the field"?  We didn't find a way.

Better late than never, I guess.

Wasn't he the starter his first season eligible before he lost it due to being ineffective? Didn't he start about half of the games last season? Him not contributing a lot is due to him being a not very good QB. Pitt, Wisconsin, Minnesota,  Arizona, among others thought he was good enough to play QB. If he was WR, would he have even played over Natson, Wolf, or Lane last season?

I hope he does great this year. I'm not going to predict that he has been misused off of a video of him running a route though nor am I going to hold it against the coaching staff as he was given his chance at QB and got plenty of run there last season even as a backup. Based on what we've seen on the field, he isn't quite as talented as what many thought.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Wasn't he the starter his first season eligible before he lost it due to being ineffective? Didn't he start about half of the games last season? Him not contributing a lot is due to him being a not very good QB. Pitt, Wisconsin, Minnesota,  Arizona, among others thought he was good enough to play QB. If he was WR, would he have even played over Natson, Wolf, or Lane last season?

I hope he does great this year. I'm not going to predict that he has been misused off of a video of him running a route though nor am I going to hold it against the coaching staff as he was given his chance at QB and got plenty of run there last season even as a backup. Based on what we've seen on the field, he isn't quite as talented as what many thought.

I see what you're saying.  We are just coming from different angles.  My angle is the middle-aged approaching old man curmudgeon angle.  I know I am critical of the staff but when you have turned a 4-2 start into a 5-7 finish twice, I think you have earned some criticism.

I know, I know.  I left out the most important ingredient for any Zips fan:  Excuses.  I don't put any stock in excuses.  I'm an odd-ball these days, I realize.

Actually, I would love nothing more than the staff coming out and proving ol' K92 wrong.  Dead wrong.  When that happens, I won't shrink and disappear.  I will eat crow and bask in the success of the football Zips.  I just wish that the eternal optimists and apologists for this staff would finally accept reality for what it is and has been and stop making excuses for everything.

But whatever.  It takes all kinds to make the world go round or at least that's what I heard.  We all want the same thing.  We want our University and its sports teams to succeed to the highest degree.  I certainly don't bitch, pee-and-moan and complain because I enjoy watching the Zips lose.

Only a few more weeks until we see what we've got when the team takes the field.  I am hoping for a pleasant surprise.  If I am disappointed, I'm probably going to bitch, pee-and -moan and complain some more.  It's what I do.

Go Zips.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

A great example of how "star ratings" can really miss the mark.  

Yes, his first stint as a starter (2015) was a disaster.  I'll give him credit for the 2nd half performance to beat Kent in 2016.  There might have also been some spotty gadget plays where he picked up some nice gains on the ground in the wildcat or read-option.  Other than that, his expectations as a QB turned out to be a major disappointment.  

I'll be happy if we can salvage something more significant out of this last year of his career.  I hope he's working hard to be a productive receiver, and might even have a few big plays left in him.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

This story will probably only get more puzzling.  It was only 80 degrees and they were in shorts and tee shirts.  

Agreed.  Hyperthermia is rare, dying of hyperthermia is even that much more rare.  Of course this is preliminary, because the official CoD has not been released.

On 8/8/2017 at 0:37 PM, LZIp said:

I can't remember the thread this was in, but Kent State could be in some deeeeep doodoo

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kent-state-cannot-produce-certification-for-strength-coach-in-charge-during-death/

Ohio.com

The Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association questioned the apparent lack of certification.

"Today, the way liability is, if you're not certified by an accredited organization you're walking on thin ice," Executive Director Chuck Stiggins told the website. "Lawsuits could be $20 million-$30 million dollars. I can't imagine hiring someone without the appropriate credentials."

Strength%20Logo.jpg

From @coachsleeve

"Extremely excited to announce this new journey we about to take! Tonight I will be releasing the first Episode of "The Curriculum". This will give you an inside look into all of our staff developments on sports science, strength and conditioning, leadership, finance, guest appearances and so much more! Unfortunately, a lot of young coaches can not afford to do a hands on internship for different reasons. This will give you an opportunity to see exactly how and what we teach here at all the University of Akron. Subscribe to the YouTube page, I'll be releasing episode 1 tonight at 6:00pm featuring @camjosse of Defrancos Gym."

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa-Vi4QjP7YdIpwR-ZARUMw

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Tyler Heintz died from exertianal heat stroke.

An Ohio coroner has ruled that exertional heat stroke caused the death of a Kent State University football player after an offseason morning workout. The Portage County Coroner Office's released the findings of an autopsy of Tyler Heintz on Monday. Heintz died June 13 after being hospitalized following conditioning drills at Dix Stadium.