2018 Offers

14 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I don't think it would be bad form if guys have already announced they're leaving. Plus I view the OU -> Illinois move differently than Illinois -> UA since they fired him.. Guess we will see

Good points Zippy5. Let me add to the equation that an assistant coach who was with Groce at Ohio and Illinois, Jamall Walker, is still at Illinois under coach Brad Underwood. Just something to factor in as well.

Edited by Illini Zip

39 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm fairly certain Jimond is staying despite Clark's unfounded rumors.  What are the Zips looking for if no one transfers?   Guess the kids will have better idea what they are doing after spring break.

We finished 11th in the MAC. We need an infusion of talent. The only players I'm 100% sold on is Utomi and Ivey. That is not to say there aren't others I see promise in and of course we have some transfers that had to sit out who I haven't seen. I just don't see a log jam at any position. If a player can ball and help us win games, Groce can easily find a spot for him in the rotation. 

10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We finished 11th in the MAC. We need an infusion of talent. The only players I'm 100% sold on is Utomi and Ivey. That is not to say there aren't others I see promise in and of course we have some transfers that had to sit out who I haven't seen. I just don't see a log jam at any position. If a player can ball and help us win games, Groce can easily find a spot for him in the rotation. 

We have 3 transfers who will be eligible next season, ideally 2 players who were injured most of the year back, and still have, at minimum, 2 scholarships open. Infusion of talent is coming.

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I'm fairly certain Jimond is staying despite Clark's unfounded rumors.  What are the Zips looking for if no one transfers?   Guess the kids will have better idea what they are doing after spring break.

I never said they were founded or unfounded.  I said it was brought up by a number of people with whom I had discussed the Zips.  I was quite surprised by it and brought it up to see what others had heard.  My hope is that it all has no basis.

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I never said they were founded or unfounded.  I said it was brought up by a number of people with whom I had discussed the Zips.  I was quite surprised by it and brought it up to see what others had heard.  My hope is that it all has no basis.

Oh.   :rolleyes:. (sorry, Clark needed an emoticon in last post)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

We have 3 transfers who will be eligible next season, ideally 2 players who were injured most of the year back, and still have, at minimum, 2 scholarships open. Infusion of talent is coming.

The question posed, or at least how I inferred it, was what types of players the Zips are looking to add this off-season (assuming nobody transfers). I was simply stating that I feel the Zips shouldn't limit themselves to recruiting a player solely based off position. They need to get whoever is most talented. I feel Utomi and Ivey are the only locks to start next season. Everyone else is going to have to compete for their role in the rotation. I just personally don't see a logjam at any position. That doesn't mean one can't develop if a lot of guys develop over the offseason.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3

I think first and foremost, we need the ever-elusive-but-ever-so-important killer guard. I understand we need talent everywhere, but that killer guard makes the difference come March and can take you to that next level. He had that guard at OU with Cooper (Kellogg was solid from deep, too). Look at March Madness this year. How do teams like Loyola become Cinderellas? They have the guards that step up and hit the big shots or make the key passes. Look at WVU. Their success almost single-handily came from Jevon Carter, who was the heart and soul of that team. Much like Terry Francona has revolutionized the importance of a bullpen mafia, college basketball is dominated by killer guards. You can neutralize athletic forwards with a killer guard or two; typically only the blue-chippers are match-up proof, and even then those blue-chip forwards play like guards.

The importance of the killer guard is showing by the number of guards we have offered so far.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think first and foremost, we need the ever-elusive-but-ever-so-important killer guard. I understand we need talent everywhere, but that killer guard makes the difference come March and can take you to that next level. He had that guard at OU with Cooper (Kellogg was solid from deep, too). Look at March Madness this year. How do teams like Loyola become Cinderellas? They have the guards that step up and hit the big shots or make the key passes. Look at WVU. Their success almost single-handily came from Jevon Carter, who was the heart and soul of that team. Much like Terry Francona has revolutionized the importance of a bullpen mafia, college basketball is dominated by killer guards. You can neutralize athletic forwards with a killer guard or two; typically only the blue-chippers are match-up proof, and even then those blue-chip forwards play like guards.

The importance of the killer guard is showing by the number of guards we have offered so far.

I hope we can get one of these guards. I also hope a good enough one might already be on the team....

• Like 3

From what I can tell, Roscoe will be coming in as a sophomore and Banks as a junior. Is that correct?

JG is showing early that he is not afraid of looking to junior colleges for players. The three signees in this class is already more than Dambrot had in his entire tenure with the Zips. I've always found JC players interesting, trading one or two years of eligibility for someone who comes in a little more experienced and developed.

This is not helping our messy scholarship distribution though.

Time will tell, but I like what I see in these two commits (granted it's only a few highlights). I'm guessing Banks (PG) as a JC transfer gets to play right away and Roscoe (SG) has to sit out a year, losing a year of eligibility in the process (2 years left)?

I think it would be nice to round this class out with a true freshman big we can redshirt. Any word on any other bigs visiting, Abba Laval is still a year away.

3 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Time will tell, but I like what I see in these two commits (granted it's only a few highlights). I'm guessing Banks (PG) as a JC transfer gets to play right away and Roscoe (SG) has to sit out a year, losing a year of eligibility in the process (2 years left)?

I think it would be nice to round this class out with a true freshman big we can redshirt. Any word on any other bigs visiting, Abba Laval is still a year away.

Appears Roscoe is eligible immediately and has 3 years of eligibility

• Thanks 1