2018 Offers

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I don't like the idea of an unused scholarship. If they aren't a fit, I think we've seen our fair share transfer after a year anyway

Agreed. I bet there is a grad transfer out there with a year of eligibility that can make our team better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

According to 247sports, Moss is leaning towards South Carolina, but we are still even money on Neftali Alvarez.   How they determine this?  No idea.

I'm not sure if this is how they determined that, but in his twitter post, there's a #1 in the graphic by Gamecocks. :D

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If we don't land either Neftali Alvarez or TJ Moss, I'm thinking Groce should just pocket the scholarship for future use.

Jimmond is going to be our only senior who will graduate and open up a scholarship, so this way we'd have two to give out next year.

We're already quite stacked:

1. Jackson (5-8)

2. Hester (6-3)

3. Roscoe (6-3)

4. Ivey (6-4)

5. Banks (6-5)

6. Utomi (6-6)

7. Parrish (6-6)

8. Toles (6-6)

9. Poke (6-8)

10. Sayles (6-9)

11. Riak (6-10)

12. K-lac (6-11)

Stacked with midgets. D1 hoops wise, they are all bigger than me.

19 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Stacked with midgets. D1 hoops wise, they are all bigger than me.

Give it a rest.

The starting 5 of Big Dog (C), Kwan (PF), Antino (SG), Noah (PG), and Ivey (SF) was 384 inches

If the Zips elect to start Poke (C), Sayles (PF), Ivey (SG), Hester (PG), and Utomi (SF) that's 390 inches

Even if you swap out Hester (who I hear is more of a SG) for the shortest guy on the team (Loren Jackson), the Zips starting 5 will be 383 inches. There is even a chance Riak beat out Poke for starting C spot and that would add 2 inches to these numbers.

1 minute ago, kreed5120 said:

Give it a rest.

The starting 5 of Big Dog (C), Kwan (PF), Antino (SG), Noah (PG), and Ivey (SF) was 384 inches

If the Zips elect to start Poke (C), Sayles (PF), Ivey (SG), Hester (PG), and Utomi (SF) that's 390 inches

Even if you swap out Hester (who I hear is more of a SG) for the shortest guy on the team (Loren Jackson), the Zips starting 5 will be 383 inches. There is even a chance Riak beat out Poke for starting C spot and that would add 2 inches to these numbers.

Yeah but that's listed height :lol:

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Give it a rest.

But that assumes a guy who was always in foul trouble, a guy returning from open heart surgery, and a guy who was badly injured dunking and may not be as aggressive (it sure would get into my head). Nowhere is there a starting C that can be depended on. At this point.

3 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

But that assumes a guy who was always in foul trouble, a guy returning from open heart surgery, and a guy who was badly injured dunking and may not be as aggressive (it sure would get into my head). Nowhere is there a starting C that can be depended on. At this point.

Maybe, but your gripe has seemed to be with height, not abilities/accountability.

32 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

The comment I was responding to was you calling the Zips midgets when their projected starting 5 will be on par, if not taller, than the Dambrot lineups we're accustomed to. You seem to now be changing your argument, which is a completely different discussion. If Riak is too skittish and KLac picks up too many quick fouls to be effective centers that means they failed for lack of talent, not because they weren't tall enough. Obviously E-Man health is a factor nobody can predict.

Edited by kreed5120

30 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The comment I was responding to was you calling the Zips midgets when their projected starting 5 will be on par, if not taller, than the Dambrot lineups we're accustomed to. You seem to now be changing your argument, which is a completely different discussion. If Riak is too skittish and KLac picks up too many quick fouls to be effective centers that means they failed for lack of talent, not because they weren't tall enough. Obviously E-Man health is a factor nobody can predict.

I was referring to Sayles. Diak has never played one minute for us. He is an unknown. He could be a bomb or THE BOMB.

I think the views of some of the Zips fans have been a little skewed by Akron's great luck in having Zeke and Big Dog.  Quick, name 3 other top notch 6-10 or larger MAC big men in the last 10 years.  Tough job without cheating.

MAC teams get by with serviceable, not outstanding big men.  They may get a 6-7 to 6-9 quality forward type occasionally (Hall; Campbell; Moss, etc.), but the classic big man who is impactful in the MAC is a most rare commodity.

44 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think the views of some of the Zips fans have been a little skewed by Akron's great luck in having Zeke and Big Dog.  Quick, name 3 other top notch 6-10 or larger MAC big men in the last 10 years.  Tough job without cheating.

MAC teams get by with serviceable, not outstanding big men.  They may get a 6-7 to 6-9 quality forward type occasionally (Hall; Campbell; Moss, etc.), but the classic big man who is impactful in the MAC is a most rare commodity.

It was not luck

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

To me it's not even an issue about the MAC. Teams in general have been shying away from the traditional big. Hell Golden State won 2 out of the last 3 NBA titles playing a 6'7 guy predominately at center.