Season Predictions—Game by Game

lance99

It is that time of the year again!

How will they do?

I will go first:

-Penn State: It is what it is, but will Bowden play it close to the vest, or will he play to win? Loss, but with questions 0-1

-Arkansas-Pine Bluff: Easy win 1-1

-Iowa State: I will walk back what I said on another thread, they are bad, but not Kansas bad. they are a 4-5 win team at best this year. With that being said I see a win. If they do not win this game IMHO, Bowden is on the hot seat and if the team collapses, he will NOT be around after Halloween....... 2-1

-Troy: This is NOT the team from 20 years ago. They are a middle of the pack Belt team and after a struggle, this should be a win. 3-1

-Bowling Green: This is a bad MAC East team, so this should be easy.... 4-1

-Ball State: This is the unknown of the season. I will give a win, but this could go either way..... 5-1

-Western Michigan. We go there this year and this is NOT last years team. Weather will be a factor, but if the Running game shows up, it is a win. 6-1

-Toledo: I have been saying this for over 20 years: Never count them out. Loss 6-2

-Buffalo: They're bad, really bad this year. There is a advantage of playing in the MAC East in years like this. 7-2

*Bye Week

-Miami: They are way better this year and nobody knows this yet. They are not there, so another win in Oxford. 8-2(The late Bye helps)

-Ohio: I want to say a win, but unless their Coach is fired/ walks, I see the streak continues. 8-3

-Portage County: Unless it is Toledo at 10am, I hate these games. However, Kent is back to being Kent again and this should be a easy win! 9-3

There you have it!, my prediction for this Season. How about yours?

• Like 2

My predictions are based on a healthy Tommy Woodson.

-Penn State: We lose, but it is one of our better offensive performances against a quality team. Woodson rises to the occasion and plays well against many former HS foes, Ball flashes signs of greatness early until the PSU defense makes the necessary adjustments to plug up holes. If we have some early success, I expect trickery to make an early appearance.

-Arkansas-Pine Bluff: If we don't blow them out, we are in trouble. Warren Ball rushes for 175+ yards, Woodson throws for over 350 yds. It's a nice opportunity for less experienced receivers to get some game time route running and catches. Gilbert and Jamal Davis have their way with the backfield.

-Iowa State: This could go either way. A non-conference game like this is not going to be a hot seat qualifier, even if we don't win. 

-Troy: This will be a great test for us and give us the best preview into the conference schedule. 

-Bowling Green: The Zips finally turn the tide against BG and win.

-Ball State: This will be a good match up with an improving Ball State team. We should win, but should not despair if we don't.

-Western Michigan. We row...oh, wait. Zips win. PJ who?

-Toledo: Front runners for MAC title - this could be the biggest game of the season for the Zips if they are competitive this year.

-Buffalo: In the pattern of blow outs at home against Buffalo, we win and we can all forget about last year's disaster in Buffalo.

*Bye Week

-Miami: Bye week bliss strikes and we win, but not in a blowout. Weather will be miserable and a running game saves the day.

-Ohio: This could go either way, but isn't it about time we beat them?

-Portage County: Zips win big with a balanced scoring attack. Chapman ends his regular season career with the Zips on a high note and has a banner receiving day.

Edited by zipsoutsider

Uh oh, looks like we've got some homers in the crowd.  Go Zips!

Healthy Tommy Woodson, Healthy Warren Ball, and breakout WR Tra'von Chapman.

@ Penn State -  Zips lose...but a well fought game, fun to watch.  Ball runs for 100.  0 - 1

vs. East-Jesus -  Ball runs for 100 again, Zips fans are treated to a phenomenal performance by WR Tra'von Chapman 100+, Ball 200+.  1 - 1

vs. Iowa State - The Cyclones are a team on the mend, Zips get a small early lead, and never lose it.  2 - 1

@ Troy - I'm in the same camp as Lance, I just feel a W here.  3 - 1.

@ Bowling Green -  Here comes the eminent infuriating game that Zips nation will blow up on.  BUT, Zips find a way to win and get the monkey of the shoulder.  4 - 1

vs. Ball State - Zips win a solid game.  5 - 1

@ Western Michigan -  This is where I disagree with Lance.  Zips have a better game, WMU still has significant talent, and zips always find to drop a mid season riding high game.  5 - 2.  Zips fans need to be careful to NOT overreact.

@. Toledo -  The future Western Champion soundly beats the Zips, and prompts a ZNO hyperbolic meltdown after losing 2-straight.  5 - 3

vs. Buffalo - Yup here it is, the disappointing loss of 2017.  ZNO forgets about still being above 500, someone starts a "Should Bowden be fired" thread, discussion starts to focus on will the Zips win another game...will we repeat 5-7?  5 - 4

@ Miami - Zips silence ZNO critics and beat the Redhawks.  6 - 4.

vs. Ohio -  Zips kill two monkeys this year, and soundly beat the Bobcats.  7 - 4

vs. Kent - Zips, having beaten almost everyone in the East, are down to this game.  Win it, MAC Championship appearance and a Bowl game.  Lose it just another Bowl game.  First time in a long time this game means anything, Zips win it in a Blowout.  Ball 150 yards, 2 TD.  Woodson 250+ 3 TD.  8 - 4.

Zips end regular season 8 - 4 and head to their first MAC Championship appearance in 12 years.  The squeak into the first spot in the West by virtue of beating Ohio and BGSU.  They face Toledo for all the marbles...can anyone say, 2013 repeat performance?

• Like 2

Why not, time to play along.

@ Penn State -  Zips lose in a blowout. Penn State is Top Ten material this year. Other years we've played them they have been significantly less talented.  0 - 1

vs. APB -  Better be a win.  1 - 1

vs. Iowa State - Much better team than people think, Even at our place, a loss.   1 - 2

@ Troy - If it was at home I might give it to the Zips. It's not. 1-3

@ Bowling Green -  Finally get the BUGS off our back. ;-).  2-3

vs. Ball State - At home and BSU is not particularly good right now, Zips.   3 - 3

@ Western Michigan -  Lot of talent left from a Big Six bowl appearance. And at WMU. Loss.  3 - 4

@. Toledo -  The future Western Champion soundly beats the Zips, and prompts a ZNO hyperbolic meltdown after losing 2-straight.  3 - 5

vs. Buffalo - Buffalo is bad, alternate year, Zips win. :) 4-5

@ Miami - Miami is absolutely a team on the rise, I think they win the East this year. 4-6

vs. Ohio -  Here's this years disappointing loss. Last second field goal knocks the Zips out of bowl contention. 4-7

vs. Kent - Zips feel a little better winning the Wagon Wheel again. 5-7 again.

I see a lot of homers in here.

Penn State Nittany Lions - Not worth discussing 0-1

Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions - Next. 1-1

Iowa State Cyclones - I expect a close loss 1-2

Troy Trojans  - People seem to forget this was a 10-3 team that lost to Clemson by only 6. They return a lot of players 1-3

Bowling Green Falcons - 2-3

Ball State Cardinals - This is a 50/50 IMO 3-3

Western Michigan Broncos - 3 TD loss 3-4

Toledo Rockets - 3-5

Buffalo Bulls - 4-5

Miami (OH) RedHawks - 4-6

Ohio Bobcats - 4-7

Kent State Golden Flashes - 5-7

@ Penn State -  I hope this is a really close game or a blow out.  Not one of those "down by 10" games in which you keep the starters in all game with only a small chance to win.  I want you to win because that will make our game with you even bigger.  I predict that you will get blown out, but be able to rest your starters so you don't get any silly injuries.  Loss  0-1.

vs. APB -  They have a football team?  Win 1-1.

vs. Iowa State - Lots of variables coming into this game.  Iowa State is still a year or so away from feeling the full impact of Matt Campbell's recruiting and coaching.  Momentum could be a huge factor as we have two in-state rivalry home games during the preceding two weeks.  Both Northern Iowa and Eastern Iowa University (we are the Iowa State University, they are just a directional school that mostly serves Chicago suburbs) are beatable.  If we win both of them, this game could take on a bowl-like feel for us, as we are very hungry to feel good about our team.  However, if we lose both of them, Campbell will be scrambling for his dignity and will be pulling out all his tricks.  Loss (for you) 1-2.

@ Troy - I want you to win out after losing to us because it will make us look better if you do, but I don't see this being a bounce-back for you.  Loss 1-3.

@ Bowling Green -  This game will begin your season turn-around.  Win 2-3.  

vs. Ball State - Big win that will make you wonder how you ever lost to us at home.  Win 3-3.

@ Western Michigan -  Now the momentum is swinging your way.  Win 4-3.

@. Toledo -  This will be the MAC game of the year.  Double OT.  Win 5-3.

vs. Buffalo - No problem looking past the Bulls.  Dominant win.  Win 6-3.  

@ Miami - Another classic MAC shootout.  Going with Miami mostly because it is a road game, but also because my wife went there.  Loss 6-4.

vs. Ohio -  Nice win over the Ohio state university.  Win 7-4.  

vs. Kent - Momentum builder for a bowl game.  Win 8-4.  

Far Away Bowl Game Against Local Team with a Big Fanbase.  But you pull it out in a game with a great 4th quarter and dominating Sports Center for a few days.  Win 9-4.  

See you in Ames on September 22, 2018 for a non-conference game between two teams that went to bowls in 2017!    

Edited by Cykron

Going to have to hold off until we really find out who is and isn't on the team. Kreed's looks pretty accurate though (I haven't read the others closely). You would hope we can find a way to come through against either Miami or OU. No way WMU beats us by 3 TDs IMO. I didn't forget my bet!

Edited by LZIp

Penn State Nittany Lions - Loss  0-1

Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions - Double digit win.  1-1

Iowa State Cyclones - Close game with something stupid happening.  Loss 1-2

Troy Trojans  - They are probably better than we expect  Win  2-2

Bowling Green Falcons - Closer than it should be, but we get the win  3-2

Ball State Cardinals - Close call  Win  4-2

Western Michigan Broncos - We never seem to do well against them. Loss 4-3

Toledo Rockets - Always a tough game. Loss 4-4

Buffalo Bulls - We better win this one and this is the real hot seat game. 5-4

Miami (OH) RedHawks - We play a complete game on Off, Def and Special Teams. Win 6-4

Ohio Bobcats - Can't get over the hump again! Loss 6-5

Kent State Golden Flashes Wagon Wheel win! 7-5

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

@ Penn State -  Zips lose in a blowout. Penn State is Top Ten material this year. Other years we've played them they have been significantly less talented.  0 - 1

vs. Iowa State - Much better team than people think, Even at our place, a loss.   1 - 2

vs. Ball State - At home and BSU is not particularly good right now, Zips.   3 - 3

@ Western Michigan -  Lot of talent left from a Big Six bowl appearance. And at WMU. Loss.  3 - 4

@. Toledo -  The future Western Champion soundly beats the Zips, and prompts a ZNO hyperbolic meltdown after losing 2-straight.  3 - 5

@ Miami - Miami is absolutely a team on the rise, I think they win the East this year. 4-6

vs. Ohio -  Here's this years disappointing loss. Last second field goal knocks the Zips out of bowl contention. 4-7

I would pick exactly what you did. 

3 hours ago, MDZip said:

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I see a lot of homers in here.

Penn State Nittany Lions - Not worth discussing 0-1

Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions - Next. 1-1

Iowa State Cyclones - I expect a close loss 1-2

Troy Trojans  - People seem to forget this was a 10-3 team that lost to Clemson by only 6. They return a lot of players 1-3

Bowling Green Falcons - 2-3

Ball State Cardinals - This is a 50/50 IMO 3-3

Western Michigan Broncos - 3 TD loss 3-4

Toledo Rockets - 3-5

Buffalo Bulls - 4-5

Miami (OH) RedHawks - 4-6

Ohio Bobcats - 4-7

Kent State Golden Flashes - 5-7

The only sane posts in this thread. Barring injuries this is the best would should hope for. If we lose a few key players it could be much worse.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Going to have to hold off until we really find out who is and isn't on the team. Kreed's looks pretty accurate though

That's where I am too.  I just can't even see the .500 mark.

And for those predicting 8 or 9 wins??  WOW.  I can't even dream that high at this point.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What would you all consider a successful season? Record and/or achievement wise.

Bowden has been here long enough and the MAC East is one of the worst divisions in all of FBS. Anything short of 8 wins IMO should be viewed as failure. That being said there is no way in hell we're getting to 8 wins. 

How I see the season playing out is Akron goes 4-8 or 5-7. Bowden enters next season as a lame duck coach because the university is too poor to both pay him and another coach.

Penn State- L

Arkansas-Pine Bluff- W

Iowa State- L

Troy- L

Bowling Green- L

Ball State- W

Western Michigan Broncos - L

Toledo- L

Buffalo- W

Miami (OH)- L

Ohio- W

Kent State- W

The schedule this year is brutal.  5-7, but I hope I'm wrong.

48 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Bowden has been here long enough and the MAC East is one of the worst divisions in all of FBS. Anything short of 8 wins IMO should be viewed as failure. That being said there is no way in hell we're getting to 8 wins. 

How I see the season playing out is Akron goes 4-8 or 5-7. Bowden enters next season as a lame duck coach because the university is too poor to both pay him and another coach.

8 wins or bust seems like a high standard for a program who has never won that many games in their FBS history.

Edited by LZIp

26 minutes ago, LZIp said:

8 wins or bust seems like a high standard for a program who has never won that many games in their FBS history.

Why, because we had a run of incompetent coaches? We have the nicest facilities in the MAC. We play in a talent rich area. We play in arguably the worst division in all of FBS. We have the 2nd longest tenured coach in our division. Sputtering around 5-7/6/6 isn't good enough for me. We should be perennial contenders in the MAC East.

Edited by kreed5120

What I like: Offensive line, defensive backfield, upper class team, intensity of summer voluntary workouts (I have never seen an effort like this) 

What I don't like: Woodson may no longer be a durable QB - will he tuck and run if needed?, Warren Ball has never made it through a season - these are two of our potential stars on the O this year that carry huge question marks.

I think we (if healthy) beat Iowa State, but lose to Troy to go 2-2 in OOC play and split our MAC schedule. Bowden and the Zips retain the Wagon Wheel and finally go to an early warm climate Bowl.            

Edited by UA1987

58 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

.... incompetent coaches?

IMO, there was only inarguably, one.

I am not clairvoyant enough to know who the most talented teams are in the month of July. With a healthy Woodson and Ball, the Zips will be in the mix. Akron will win or lose the MAC in the month of November, and that is a long way off. Enjoy the weather. ?

• Like 1

What the hell. I'm in on this thread because I am so incredibly bored reading how we beat up each other on non-Zip sports issues. 

My concerns:

1) Unproven QB (health-wise)

2) Poor run blocking line, based on last year's performance. Until they show they can do it i don't believe they will be able to run block just because it's a year later

3) Incompetent OC. He proved it last year. Coaching does cost us games guys.

4) Poor D line. First team talent is undecided and depth is unproven

5) Depth at WR

6) Special team play especially punting. Coaching makes a difference here too.

7) No winning culture

My prediction: 6-6

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

We play in a talent rich area. We play in arguably the worst division in all of FBS.

Sputtering around 5-7/6/6 isn't good enough for me. We should be perennial contenders in the MAC East.

Yes, this area has the talent, but we don't get enough of the good talent.  And maybe some forget the years where OU, Buffalo, and Kent were pretty much automatic wins every year during the Owens era.  So, you could also argue that the MAC East has never been a powerhouse during most of our 25 years in the MAC.

It still IS a mystery why we've only had very limited success.  I still appreciate the 7-3-1 FBS-record season from Gerry's boys in our inaugural MAC season in 1992.   Then there was the back door MAC title in 2005.  Then the bowl in 2015.   That's 3 out of 25 years.  Damn.    

We can't ever seem to get over the hump, despite factors that say that shouldn't be the case.  Hence, a .500 season and a bowl game seems like a realistic goal, most of the time.   

Edited by skip-zip

5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

What the hell. I'm in on this thread because I am so incredibly bored reading how we beat up each other on non-Zip sports issues. 

My concerns:

1) Unproven QB (health-wise)

2) Poor run blocking line, based on last year's performance. Until they show they can do it i don't believe they will be able to run block just because it's a year later

3) Incompetent OC. He proved it last year. Coaching does cost us games guys.

4) Poor D line. First team talent is undecided and depth is unproven

5) Depth at WR

6) Special team play especially punting. Coaching makes a difference here too.

7) No winning culture

My prediction: 6-6

QB, D line, punting, and WR are my top 4 concerns. I must say, not looking forward to boring punt returns again after a year of being dazzled by JoJo.

Honestly, none of it matters if Tommy isn't healthy because we will be too easy to shut down with a mediocre QB. 

IMHO, it Tommy isn't 100% we might see true freshman Alex Rammart in the mix.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr Z said:

IMO, there was only inarguably, one.

I am not clairvoyant enough to know who the most talented teams are in the month of July. With a healthy Woodson and Ball, the Zips will be in the mix.

Yep. At the end of the day if Woodson stays healthy we have a top 3 QB in the conference, maybe the top RB, again if healthy, and an improved defense. The MAC isn't good. We'll have our chances