Season Predictions—Game by Game

lance99

13 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

LOL. I get a kick out of the board's proclamation of what Bowden has to do. They aren't going to buy him out of a contract at this point. He is here through 2018. 

I agree. My comment was more towards what he has to do this year and next. He needs to make the MACC IMO one of the next 2 years to justify us giving him an extension.

10 hours ago, K-Roo said:

Because we obviously have so many better options than Bowden.   Let me list them for you... ( insert crickets sound effect here)

We don't need a bigger name. We need someone that can build us a winning tradition. Fleck was a nobody before he went to WMU. Not to say we'll find the next Fleck, but there are Campbell's and others out there that can build consistent MAC contenders. 

24 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I agree. My comment was more towards what he has to do this year and next. He needs to make the MACC IMO one of the next 2 years to justify us giving him an extension.

Next year won't be a part of the discussion on renewing him or not. When was the last coach to not have their contract renewed instead of being fired? Or who coached on a 1 year deal? The discussion on him being retained or not really all boils down to this season and what needs accomplished.

I was on the train to keep him until his contract runs up, but I think Zipps5 has a point. Why would any player consider your program when the coach is probably gone before you step foot on campus? You think other recruiting classes looked rough...wait til you see 2019's if they keep him without extending.

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Next year won't be a part of the discussion on renewing him or not. When was the last coach to not have their contract renewed instead of being fired? Or who coached on a 1 year deal? The discussion on him being retained or not really all boils down to this season and what needs accomplished.

Miami recently did this for Cooper in basketball. As coaching salaries rise, I think this will be a more common occurrence at the G5 level. I fully agree Bowden deserves to be fired if Zips go 5-7. Akron's financial problems are however heavily documented and the ABJ would have a field day writing about how the University is using student subsidies to pay a guy $500k to not coach.

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Miami recently did this for Cooper in basketball. As coaching salaries rise, I think this will be a more common occurrence at the G5 level. I fully agree Bowden deserves to be fired if Zips go 5-7. Akron's financial problems are however heavily documented and the ABJ would have a field day writing about how the University is using student subsidies to pay a guy $500k to not coach.

They would have to have a private donor pony up the cash imo for the exact reason you suggest. 

15 hours ago, LZIp said:

IWhy would any player consider your program when the coach is probably gone before you step foot on campus? 

This really makes sense when you have a coach with only one year left on his contract.  However, it amazes me that any player (or family) takes so seriously the likelihood that the coach will actually be there for the entirety of the player's career.  Isn't the average coaching span less than the 5 years that a normal player will have?  If so, then the player (and family) should recognize that it is actually unlikely that the coach will be there for as long as the he will be.

• Like 1

Looking at the Zips East schedule, I can't see a 4th place finish happening. I expect to win the East. 

East Division    
1. Ohio (11), 131

-       Had Jojo Natson held on to an easy TD catch the Zips beat the Bobcats, in Athens. We get them at home in 2017, and we'll be starting a QB that isn't a mid-season converted WR. OU's strength was their defense, and they graduated a lot on that side of the ball, including DE Tarell Basham (80th pick - Colts). This is a game the Zips MUST win. 
2. Miami (12) 129

-       Zips beat Miami handily in 2016. Martin has Miami back on track, but they're hardly a juggernaut. Definitely a winnable road game.
3. Bowling Green (1), 88

-       6 turnovers, a WR playing QB for the 2nd half (a reason for a few of those turnovers), and we still were in a position to win with 2 minutes remaining. A late INT and a fumbled punt return sealed the Zips fate, but BG is a bottom-tier MAC program that the Zips should beat in 2017.
4. Akron, 79

-       While the Zips are certainly capable of beating themselves, luckily they cannot play themselves.
5. Buffalo, 41

-       These guys were 2-10 last season. The Zips won’t lose to Buffalo at home.
6. Kent State, 36

-       The Zips won’t lose to Kent at home.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2017 at 8:02 AM, Balsy said:

@ Bowling Green -  Here comes the eminent infuriating game that Zips nation will blow up on.  BUT, Zips find a way to win and get the monkey of the shoulder.  4 - 1

vs. Ohio -  Zips kill two monkeys this year, and soundly beat the Bobcats.  7 - 4

vs. Kent - Zips, having beaten almost everyone in the East, are down to this game.  Win it, MAC Championship appearance and a Bowl game.  Lose it just another Bowl game.  First time in a long time this game means anything, Zips win it in a Blowout.  

Zips end regular season 8 - 4 and head to their first MAC Championship appearance in 12 years.  The squeak into the first spot in the West by virtue of beating Ohio and BGSU.  They face Toledo for all the marbles...can anyone say, 2013 repeat performance?

I was one game off on my predicted record...but nailed these two predictions.  Lets hope I nail the last two...

On 7/17/2017 at 12:53 AM, zipsoutsider said:

My predictions are based on a healthy Tommy Woodson.

-Penn State: We lose, but it is one of our better offensive performances against a quality team. Woodson rises to the occasion and plays well against many former HS foes, Ball flashes signs of greatness early until the PSU defense makes the necessary adjustments to plug up holes. If we have some early success, I expect trickery to make an early appearance.

-Arkansas-Pine Bluff: If we don't blow them out, we are in trouble. Warren Ball rushes for 175+ yards, Woodson throws for over 350 yds. It's a nice opportunity for less experienced receivers to get some game time route running and catches. Gilbert and Jamal Davis have their way with the backfield.

-Iowa State: This could go either way. A non-conference game like this is not going to be a hot seat qualifier, even if we don't win. 

-Troy: This will be a great test for us and give us the best preview into the conference schedule. 

-Bowling Green: The Zips finally turn the tide against BG and win.

-Ball State: This will be a good match up with an improving Ball State team. We should win, but should not despair if we don't.

-Western Michigan. We row...oh, wait. Zips win. PJ who?

-Toledo: Front runners for MAC title - this could be the biggest game of the season for the Zips if they are competitive this year.

-Buffalo: In the pattern of blow outs at home against Buffalo, we win and we can all forget about last year's disaster in Buffalo.

*Bye Week

-Miami: Bye week bliss strikes and we win, but not in a blowout. Weather will be miserable and a running game saves the day.

-Ohio: This could go either way, but isn't it about time we beat them?

-Portage County: Zips win big with a balanced scoring attack. Chapman ends his regular season career with the Zips on a high note and has a banner receiving day.

The scores are off, but winners are not far off.

Fun to look back:

@Penn State: Loss 10-35  (L 0-52, CORRECT, margin off by 27, YIKES!)

Arkansas-Pine Bluff:  Win 55-6 (W 52-3, CORRECT, margin correct!)

Iowa State: Win 28-24 (L 14-41, INCORRECT, not sure anyone thought Iowa State would have the season they have had)

@Troy:  Loss 17-38 (L, 17-22, CORRECT, margin off by 16.)

@Bowling Green:  Loss 45-56 (W 34-23, INCORRECT)

Ball State:  W 35-31 (W, 31-3, CORRECT, margin off by 24.  I almost nailed the Zips point total?)

@Western Michigan:  Loss 20-38 (W 14-13, INCORRECT)

@Toledo: Loss 17-45 (L 21-48, CORRECT, margin of by 1.  I'm awesome.)

Buffalo: Win 17-9 (W 21-20, CORRECT, margin off by 7.  Yep, pretty awesome.)

@Miami:  Loss 21-27 (L 24-14, CORRECT, margin off by 4.  I'm super awesome.)

Ohio:  Loss 6-20 (W 37-34, INCORRECT.  I suck)

Kent:  Win 56-35.  (TBD, but this could turn into a lot of offense)

So far, 8-3 on my picks.  Not bad.

Very interesting reading this thread.  I really figured the Zips would win 4 or 5 games this year.  Although I hoped the defense would improve over the disaster of 2016, I anticipated another struggle.  The defense was a pleasant surprise.  Much improved.

The offense was as exciting as watching paint dry (with the exception of 1st half vs. Ohio).  I expected that.  I expect it as long as Milwee is the OC.

A 7-5 finish was never in my wildest dreams.  Kudos to the kids.  They never quit.  When you have a team that was outgained 8 out of 12 times and pull out 7 wins, that is a testament to never giving up and finding ways to win.  Just think, if we had an offense with a pulse, Troy and Miami turn into wins and the Zips go 9-3! ???

Looking forward to going back to Detroit.  Been a long time coming.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bruce Willis Drummond said:

The offense was as exciting as watching paint dry (with the exception of 1st half vs. Ohio).  I expected that.  I expect it as long as Milwee is the OC.

I would say that the offense prior to Woodson getting hurt last year was a pretty dynamic and exciting offense to watch. That being the case, not sure that it is fair to saddle the lack of exciting play calling on Milwee. The first half of Ohio was exciting because the QB was making throws and the WR were making catches. They were pretty much the same plays called all year. Seems like exciting is more closely related to personnel than play calling. 

That being said, not a single trick play all year. Perhaps we have saved them all for the MAC championship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I would say that the offense prior to Woodson getting hurt last year was a pretty dynamic and exciting offense to watch. That being the case, not sure that it is fair to saddle the lack of exciting play calling on Milwee. The first half of Ohio was exciting because the QB was making throws and the WR were making catches. They were pretty much the same plays called all year. Seems like exciting is more closely related to personnel than play calling. 

That being said, not a single trick play all year. Perhaps we have saved them all for the MAC championship.

Creative playacting is all on Milwee. Executing those plays is all on the players. Both have had period of poor performance.

• Like 1

Now that the regular season is in the books:

Tied for most wins in regular season history, with a chance to tie and/or break the most wins in season history.

Beat 3 bowl eligible teams, for what I assume, is the most wins over bowl eligible teams in a regular season in team history. 3 were beat in 05, but that includes the MAC-C. Have a chance to break this record with a win in the MAC-C and/or bowl game.

Win MAC East outright.

Clinch 2nd MAC-C appearance in program history.

Finished with a better record than the 2016 MAC "Cinderella story" Western Michigan.

Preseason prediction by the pundits: 4th in the MAC East.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 3

On 7/27/2017 at 12:15 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Looking at the Zips East schedule, I can't see a 4th place finish happening. I expect to win the East. 

East Division    
1. Ohio (11), 131

-       Had Jojo Natson held on to an easy TD catch the Zips beat the Bobcats, in Athens. We get them at home in 2017, and we'll be starting a QB that isn't a mid-season converted WR. OU's strength was their defense, and they graduated a lot on that side of the ball, including DE Tarell Basham (80th pick - Colts). This is a game the Zips MUST win. 
2. Miami (12) 129

-       Zips beat Miami handily in 2016. Martin has Miami back on track, but they're hardly a juggernaut. Definitely a winnable road game.
3. Bowling Green (1), 88

-       6 turnovers, a WR playing QB for the 2nd half (a reason for a few of those turnovers), and we still were in a position to win with 2 minutes remaining. A late INT and a fumbled punt return sealed the Zips fate, but BG is a bottom-tier MAC program that the Zips should beat in 2017.
4. Akron, 79

-       While the Zips are certainly capable of beating themselves, luckily they cannot play themselves.
5. Buffalo, 41

-       These guys were 2-10 last season. The Zips won’t lose to Buffalo at home.
6. Kent State, 36

-       The Zips won’t lose to Kent at home.

This guy must be Nostradamus's relative? :champs:

• Like 3