Season Predictions—Game by Game

lance99

On 7/17/2017 at 1:34 PM, kreed5120 said:

Bowden has been here long enough and the MAC East is one of the worst divisions in all of FBS. Anything short of 8 wins IMO should be viewed as failure. That being said there is no way in hell we're getting to 8 wins. 

How I see the season playing out is Akron goes 4-8 or 5-7. Bowden enters next season as a lame duck coach because the university is too poor to both pay him and another coach.

Bowl game or pull the plug.

Bowl eligibility is my minimum expectations as well. I would like to get there on a consistent basis before expecting something like 8 wins minimum.

George Thomas having a professional journalism job is one of the biggest mysteries to me. He didn't even use consistency in the other over/unders. Spells out BG's and uses numbers for the others.

11 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Same thought I had.  Can't spell.  Garbage journalism, like usual.  But nice job finding a way to wiggle the greatness of his beloved Suckeyes into the story. :thumb:

Yep.  The CSU Alum Buckeye Fan Trekkie.

@Penn State: We'll stay in this one for the first 15 minutes or so.  Let's stay healthy (as much as I hate to say that).  Loss 10-35

Arkansas-Pine Bluff:  Beautiful Day, embarrassing home crowd to open the season.  Fun game to watch.  Win 55-6

Iowa State: Crap shoot.  Fun and improving team to have in town.  I'll be optimistic.  Win 28-24 on a last minute TD.

@Troy: Borderline Top-25 team this year.  If this was at home, we'd have a puncher's chance.  Loss 17-38

@Bowling Green:  The MAC opener will decide how the season goes.  Drop to 2-3 (or potentially 1-4) here and disaster is around the corner.  Zips dropped by BG in a slugfest.  45-56 

Ball State:  Very winnable game.  Has the first 5 taken its toll?  Zips eek one out in the MAC Home opener, 35-31

@Western Michigan:  Brutal.  New coach, still a good team.  20-38 Loss

@Toledo: Equally Brutal.  Can't stop Toledo's offense.  17-45 Loss

Buffalo: Glad this one is at home or things could get really ugly.  Hopefully this isn't one of those "games we should win" that we don't.  Win UGLY 17-9

*Bye Week

@Miami:  Miami's improved, but not top of the MAC like a lot think.  Another game we'd have a shot at home.  Still close.  21-27 Loss

Ohio:  The MAC East is bad.  Really bad.  These guys aren't good, but are probably the best of em.  I'd like to say this is the year we finally beat them.  Can't.  6-20 Loss.

Kent:  Well..its a win?  Like I said, the East is bad.  Kent is TERRIBLE, even for them.  Closer than it looks, but thanks to a couple late TDs, we win 56-35.

Another 5-7 Season.  Not sure where we go from here.  The schedule is brutal, getting arguably 3 of the best 4 MAC teams on the road plus a very good Troy and Penn State teams away as well.  I think we have a ceiling of 7-5, a floor of 3-9.  Anything outside of that would shock me.  Go Browns.

On 7/17/2017 at 2:47 PM, kreed5120 said:

Why, because we had a run of incompetent coaches? We have the nicest facilities in the MAC. We play in a talent rich area. We play in arguably the worst division in all of FBS. We have the 2nd longest tenured coach in our division. Sputtering around 5-7/6/6 isn't good enough for me. We should be perennial contenders in the MAC East.

Let's predict the odds of the current coaching staff still employed in 2018 if it's a 5 or less win season. How does a seasoned team, with a half dozen NFL prospects - all active during the 2016 season, not win 6 games in the MAC East?  And sorry, but the lack of depth at the QB spot versus the injury roster, is not a valid excuse. That's a coaching / recruiting blunder. Look at the difference in the QB lineup this year.  (Who says hindsight is not 20/20?) If TB and Company really want to stick around, a 2017 bowl bid is the price to play poker. 

1 hour ago, Bigmexicanwoman said:

Let's predict the odds of the current coaching staff still employed in 2018 if it's a 5 or less win season. How does a seasoned team, with a half dozen NFL prospects - all active during the 2016 season, not win 6 games in the MAC East?  And sorry, but the lack of depth at the QB spot versus the injury roster, is not a valid excuse. That's a coaching / recruiting blunder. Look at the difference in the QB lineup this year.  (Who says hindsight is not 20/20?) If TB and Company really want to stick around, a 2017 bowl bid is the price to play poker. 

Your avatar and your screen name are confusing me.

Edited by K92

3 hours ago, Bigmexicanwoman said:

I will blame Russia 

@BigSexyMexy

I do not know what the odds would be that Bowden & Co. return for a 2018 season if they bag 5 or less wins, but I think the likelihood of that happening would be around 99 & 44/100th percent.

Not many were man enough to put it in writing and say what would make this season successful and why in their eyes, so I'll ask another question.

What would you need to see from Bowden & Co these last 2 seasons under contract to keep them on board?