2017 Camp Thread

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Maybe his most insight ever! I liked that article. Sampson is apparently transitioning to LB, which is surprising to me. Hopefully he ends up contributing more than the last ST V. DE converted to LB (Junius). Two players getting academics straightened out. Can't help but guess one is Bell. The other??

University of Akron football: Zips coach Terry Bowden still facing difficult decisions after final Saturday scrimmage of fall camp

"One of the most important is choosing who will serve as backup to starting quarterback Thomas Woodson, who appears to be completely healthy after offseason shoulder surgery." - music to my ears.

• Like 1

Concerning the D...

We look to be stacked like pancakes at DB and DE.

But I'm pretty concerned that it looks like we've only got 4 viable DT's:

Brock Boxen 6-3, 290

Ibrahima Camara 6-3, 285

Darius Copeland 6-1 275 (though he got pushed around a lot last year)

Brennan Williams 6-1 285 (& he hasn't played much thus far in his career)

DeAndre Brimage will likely be redshirted.  We can't afford an injury at DT.  It could derail the season.  (Is it strange that we have 18 OL but only 4 DT's?)

At LB, we moved two of our best looking prospects to DE:

Jamal Davis ii 6-4, 235

Josh Ward 6-2, 240

Though we've got the MAC preseason DPOY in UGIII, this leaves us awfully inexperienced at LB.  

29 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Concerning the D...

Brock Boxen 6-3, 290

Ibrahima Camara 6-3, 285

DeAndre Brimage will likely be redshirted.  We can't afford an injury at DT.  It could derail the season.  (Is it strange that we have 18 OL but only 4 DT's?)

Jamal Davis ii 6-4, 235

Josh Ward 6-2, 240

Though we've got the MAC preseason DPOY in UGIII, this leaves us awfully inexperienced at LB.  

We play the DE as a hybrid DE/LB position so it isn't as big of a deal as you might think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Concerning the D...

Brock Boxen 6-3, 290

Ibrahima Camara 6-3, 285

Jamal Davis ii 6-4, 235

Josh Ward 6-2, 240

ew 

True Freshman Matt Hanson could play on the inside if needed. He's 6'3" 245 lbs and might be better suited as a D/E. 300 lb O Lineman Andrew Siegman could help out if an injury thins the ranks.

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

Who's running back punts for the Zips this year? Chapman with his scared cat moves would be great at making people miss, but could he field the ball without mishaps. I do worry about Tra'Von's cat moves in traffic as a receiver as someone is liable to blindside him and cause a turnover. Those jumping around fake out moves are good in thin coverage.      

8 hours ago, K92 said:

Apple versus Windows.  Does that mean iPhone versus Droid or Macintosh versus IBM PC?  Does it really have anything to do with Microsoft at all or is it just one of the dumbest questions I've ever heard?

My guess is that it means Mac vs PC. Seems that iPhone vs Android would have been more relevant 

42 minutes ago, WD UA 2015 said:

Seems that iPhone vs Android would have been more relevant 

Absolutely!  Many times when a Zip player makes a great play I find myself sitting there wondering what phone they prefer!