2017 Camp Thread

8 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

I suspect we have not seen the last of Chapman throwing the ball. Similar to D'Orazio several years ago there should be several big play opportunities with Tra'von throwing out of the WR position.   

I am expecting the same amount of completions from their senior years, and hoping for the same amount of receptions. 

37 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Here is something I didn't know: "....with help from his father, Thad Jemison, who played receiver in the early ’80s at Ohio State." I think Thad was a Kent assistant coach too.

Don't know if still there but I believe Dad was a WR coach at Kent & that is how he ended up at Kent Roosevelt 

On 8/8/2017 at 8:22 AM, LZIp said:

Few things here. Andre Williams had 2 great catches at approx. the 53 second and 1:37 marks. TW is suited up and playing. Bickley had a few TDs. It would be nice if he gave us something this year. He showed some promise his true freshman year but not much after that which is why I'm assuming he transferred the first time.

Some nice catches by the WRs.  I love it when WRs  extend themselves to help a QB who is leading them.  And as an Iowa State fan, I also liked the 50/50 balls being thrown up by the QBs.  It only takes a few of those to have a huge impact on the game.

10 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I agree about Bickley.  He sure seemed exciting as a freshman and then disappeared....

Bickley's big problem as a freshman was that it was far too easy to rip the ball out of his hands/arms. I would imagine that by now, he has had ample opportunity in the weight room to help remedy that. I am hoping he was inspired by JoJo and we see a little of that same style out of Bickley. It would be a huge help. 

Week 2 of camp and virtually no news. All of the reporting has been very short interviews with the players, mostly about their personal challenges to be ready for the season. Bowden's interviews have been few, but general enough to not shed a lot of light on anything. It seems to be the quietest camp of the Bowden era. Perhaps he has shut the media out to keep the QB situation a mystery. I realize the cat is out of the bag early after games begin, but practice time is much more limited after the season starts, too.

We usually see more videos from the FB program. So far, just 1.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Week 2 of camp and virtually no news. All of the reporting has been very short interviews with the players, mostly about their personal challenges to be ready for the season. Bowden's interviews have been few, but general enough to not shed a lot of light on anything. It seems to be the quietest camp of the Bowden era. 

I'll have some info and photos from today's scrimmage tomorrow by noon. Long day. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

And it's kinda of uninteresting drivel.

I think between all the active members on here we could probably put together some pretty decent reporting if we were really serious (and kinda already have courtesy of some very hardworking members):

Coach Interviews (with decent questions), Camp Analysis/Speculation, Pre-season schedule breakdowns, player interviews, player interest pieces (tell the background stories about our players that we never know), and photos courtesy of Dr. Z.  No game recount pieces because lets be real... we all probably watched the game.

Edited by Balsy

For GT this article is deep. Compared to other journalists it's pretty shallow. George got quotes but didn't ask any probing questions. Typical. He once again did not serve his readers.

• Like 1

Well written stories could help generate local interest. I am not saying it would pack the Info, but every little bit can help. When you create an emotional connection with the reader, they become engaged and at least in a loose sense, become a stakeholder and a stakehder is more likely to show upon a Saturday. 

Has GT ever written anything close to that in the last 5 years? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Balsy said:

No game recount pieces because lets be real... we all probably watched the game.

Those are the ones that disappoint me the most.  I waste my time reading short-story recaps of home games the next morning.  And it does absolutely nothing to generate any excitement for fans outside of our circle.  

24 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Well written stories could help generate local interest. I am not saying it would pack the Info, but every little bit can help. When you create an emotional connection with the reader, they become engaged

Exactly my point.  But don't downplay its impact.  It could have a great impact on fan interest.  

I know it's not the newspaper's "job" to increase attendance.  But it's pretty obvious to the Akron area's Sunday morning readers that the Akron Football Game was not a very fascinating event the night before.  I'm sure plenty of that can be attributed to the lack of emotional connection of the writer.    

33 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Those are the ones that disappoint me the most.  I waste my time reading short-story recaps of home games the next morning.  And it does absolutely nothing to generate any excitement for fans outside of our circle. 

Totally agree.  I used to write those for the Buchtelite, and I hated it.  My Editor-in-chief expected them though, so I really couldn't say no.  

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Well written stories could help generate local interest. I am not saying it would pack the Info, but every little bit can help. When you create an emotional connection with the reader, they become engaged and at least in a loose sense, become a stakeholder and a stakehder is more likely to show upon a Saturday. 

Has GT ever written anything close to that in the last 5 years? 

Totally agree!

Ugh, all this talk about better writing has me fired up!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

I wonder if D. Sands  is getting any carry's in camp or if he is turning out to be a bust. Depth at the RB position is critical.     

As reported here, Sands is dealing with some shoulder issues. He is a sophomore, so he has time to heal. Warren Ball, Van Edwards, and Manny Morgan will provide depth at RB. Keep in mind, both Van and Manny changed numbers this year, so when you see #7 or #9 in the backfield at the PSU game, don't be surprised. As a side note, Chuck Turfe does nothing but gain positive yards in practice. East High School's Jemarulin Suggs is also getting carries in practice. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr Z said:

As reported here, Sands is dealing with some shoulder issues. He is a sophomore, so he has time to heal. Warren Ball, Van Edwards, and Manny Morgan will provide depth at RB. Keep in mind, both Van and Manny changed numbers this year, so when you see #7 or #9 in the backfield at the PSU game, don't be surprised. As a side note, Chuck Turfe does nothing but gain positive yards in practice. East High School's Jemarulin Suggs is also getting carries in practice. 

I hope that's enough on the bench (Ball will be starting of course). Some say our running game lacked punch last year because of the Oline. I have to wonder. Morgan did have a great game at Marshall last year and I like Edwards receiving kickoffs (also had a big game against Ball St.), but it would have been nice to have Sands in the mix this year.          

Edited by UA1987