Where Will Goals Come From? Who'll Be Stopper?

Penn State Exhibition just 16 days away.  Regular Season right behind.  Who'll be the Zips #1 scoring threat, and who'll be the consistent defensive stalwart in 2017?  It's a pretty seasoned team, no true freshmen.  I'm placing my bets on Sudden Sam Gainford to be biggest threat, and Nick Hinds to step up this season on D.  Maybe Shane too?  Your thoughts?

• Like 1

Good topic....

thanks for starting the discussion...

Stopping goals is going to determine the success of the season.

If healthy, the zips have lots of fire power up top.  Stuart Holthusen was never really healthy last year.  Stuart was outstanding in the last part of 2015 and was a beast during the zips great tourney run.   Stuart , if healthy, is capable of having a great year.  Sam had a great summer with St. Louis.   Ezana scored goals for Erie in the summer and Marcel Zajac did well for Sigma FC.  When Nick Hinds was moved from outside Back to midfielder, he was a scoring machine in the last part of 2016.   Manel Cordeiro, if healthy, can be a good distributor to the scorers.  I have been told that Skye Harter is vastly improved.....and should contribute in the midfield.   David Egbo and Marc Alexander both will be talented freshman pushing for time in the front 6.    

One would have to assume that Nate Shultz and Niko De Vera are the front runners for the outside back positions.   Who will replace Danilo Radjen and Brad Ruhaak?   DeClan Watters from Ireland is the recruit that we know the least about....If he can step in as a freshman and do very well as a center back, there will be a lot of happy zip fans at the end of the year.

I don't know why the roster on GoZips.com hasn't been updated with the incoming class yet. Maybe they can't do that until the first practice with the coaches. With that said, I think we may see Freshmen David Egbo and Mark Alexander step up in their first season. Sam and Ezana both had great summer seasons in the development leagues. I look for significant numbers from Sam. If Ezana can get control of his "competitiveness" on the field, and really step up as a team player, he could also contribute heavily. I hear that Nick Hinds has been working really hard...proud of him and how he has stepped up. I look for him to be a key on both defense and offense. As TennZip mentioned, I hope that Manel and Stuart can stay healthy and on the field more often than off. If so, I know they will significantly contribute. Reggie Laryea should also contribute, and I also see Niko and Nate on the back line. I'm not sure how all the positions will fill in, but I think Jared and staff have good options. If past recruiting is any indication, I'm also expecting to see some additional players of whom we might not yet know. A little more than 2 weeks until we get to see some action. Go Zips.

Edited by Zip_ME87

Upon one viewing, I am impressed with freshman forward David Egbo.  He is stout and strong.  Egbo receives the ball with either foot and will shoot powerfully with either foot.  He may be that rare ambidextrous footballer.

Edited by fknbuflobo
addition
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I don't know why the roster on GoZips.com hasn't been updated with the incoming class yet. Maybe they can't do that until the first practice with the coaches. With that said, I think we may see Freshmen David Egbo and Mark Alexander step up in their first season. Sam and Ezana both had great summer seasons in the development leagues. I look for significant numbers from Sam. If Ezana can get control of his "competitiveness" on the field, and really step up as a team player, he could also contribute heavily. I hear that Nick Hinds has been working really hard...proud of him and how he has stepped up. I look for him to be a key on both defense and offense. As TennZip mentioned, I hope that Manel and Stuart can stay healthy and on the field more often than off. If so, I know they will significantly contribute. Reggie Laryea should also contribute, and I also see Niko and Nate on the back line. I'm not sure how all the positions will fill in, but I think Jared and staff have good options. If past recruiting is any indication, I'm also expecting to see some additional players of whom we might not yet know. A little more than 2 weeks until we get to see some action. Go Zips.

Thanks for catching that...I was confused, I knew there were incoming freshmen, but I was worried they de-commited or didn'tmake grades, or I don't know, maybe I was drinking too much!  I am also in agreement about Ezana...there were times last season that he could dominate.  Needs consistency.

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Thanks for catching that...I was confused, I knew there were incoming freshmen, but I was worried they de-commited or didn'tmake grades, or I don't know, maybe I was drinking too much!  I am also in agreement about Ezana...there were times last season that he could dominate.  Needs consistency.

It would be too much to expect that this will occur, but do not be surprised should EZ break out with double digit goals this season.

He has all the physical tools, and this is his fourth year in the program.  If not now, when?