Les Miles

InTheZone

First of all let me just state that I am NOT a Bowden hater.  I think Terry's done a great job picking up the shell of a program left by Ianello's incompetence and Brookhart's risky failures in recruiting.  The program has stalled, but I think Terry can produce another bowl team if he can get past a rough set of circumstances this year.  

That being said....

If we endure a disaster of a season, which is very possible, and Terry gets let go, the possibility of Les Miles intrigues me.  I've heard multiple commentators over the last month state that Les is desperate to get back into coaching, and yesterday Rick Neuheisal stated that he felt Miles most likely landing spot for next season would be a MAC school.  Anyone have thoughts on Les Miles to the Zips?  Unlike Terry, he has great connections across the Midwest and he's a big time name that hasn't been out of big time coaching too long.  He's also got a national championship under his belt.  In my opinion it would be a major coup for the program.

I'd take Les in a heartbeat.   And I don't think it's all that tough to imagine, compared to maybe other "big name" hires, because of his age.  Solich was about 60 when he went to OU.  Miles is 62 right now.  Likewise, I think he'd also have to face the reality that he's in the "dawn" of his career.  I think it would just be a matter of whether he considers OUR particular MAC school to be a good opportunity for him to smell success one more time.  

59 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'd take Les in a heartbeat.   And I don't think it's all that tough to imagine, compared to maybe other "big name" hires, because of his age.  Solich was about 60 when he went to OU.  Miles is 62 right now.  Likewise, I think he'd also have to face the reality that he's in the "dawn" of his career.  I think it would just be a matter of whether he considers OUR particular MAC school to be a good opportunity for him to smell success one more time.  

He's in the twilight of his career not the dawn. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I feel a lot of it just comes down to how much he wants to coach. Akron couldn't afford to pay him the salary he is use to, but at the same time I can't see any team that can afford it willing to pay him it given his age. Despite me being a Bowden critic for the past 9-10 months, I was happy when we hired him. I would be even that much more happy if we landed Miles. I've never purchased season tickets for football, but I'd buy them within 10 minutes of the hire.

32 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel a lot of it just comes down to how much he wants to coach. Akron couldn't afford to pay him the salary he is use to, but at the same time I can't see any team that can afford it willing to pay him it given his age. Despite me being a Bowden critic for the past 9-10 months, I was happy when we hired him. I would be even that much more happy if we landed Miles. I've never purchased season tickets for football, but I'd buy them within 10 minutes of the hire.

You know they do have a alumni season-ticket pass for all sports right?  Ask them about it I bet they'd still give it to you.  Is $170 for all sports.  Though you really don't get to pick your seat, all general admission...but they've worked with me to upgrade seats before.

Anywho, I'm the ZNO Bowden-cheerleader.  If Bowden weren't the coach here anymore in the near future, I'd be happy with Les Miles.  It's a pipe-dream, but it fits my biggest criticism of "who can you find who's better".  No offense to Bowden, but Miles would be a step up for sure.  Not saying he could work miracles here, but there'd be more press for Akron, and the recruiting profile I would assume would increase.  Ianello -> Bowden -> Miles would be a positive program moving forward.  

14 minutes ago, Balsy said:

You know they do have a alumni season-ticket pass for all sports right?  Ask them about it I bet they'd still give it to you.  Is $170 for all sports.  Though you really don't get to pick your seat, all general admission...but they've worked with me to upgrade seats before.

Anywho, I'm the ZNO Bowden-cheerleader.  If Bowden weren't the coach here anymore in the near future, I'd be happy with Les Miles.  It's a pipe-dream, but it fits my biggest criticism of "who can you find who's better".  No offense to Bowden, but Miles would be a step up for sure.  Not saying he could work miracles here, but there'd be more press for Akron, and the recruiting profile I would assume would increase.  Ianello -> Bowden -> Miles would be a positive program moving forward.  

I'm aware of the alumni package and even contemplated it. I just can't justify paying an extra $100 to attend 2 football games per year. If it wasn't for the 2 midweek games and 1 FCS game, I'd probably opt in for the package. I don't attend any other Zips sports events besides basketball and football. Under MIles I'd probably actually attend the midweek games opposed to watching on TV as I feel he'd have us MAC contenders in no time. That's kind of the difference.

Edited by kreed5120

Obv this is a pipe dream, but I guess I'll play along. Like Keener, I'd be thrilled to get him, but only if he brought in a competent OC. His teams regularly grossly underachieved on offense with the talent he had down there in Baton Rouge.

Edited by LZIp

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm aware of the alumni package and even contemplated it. I just can't justify paying an extra $100 to attend 2 football games per year. If it wasn't for the 2 midweek games and 1 FCS game, I'd probably opt in for the package. I don't attend any other Zips sports events besides basketball and football. Under MIles I'd probably actually attend the midweek games opposed to watching on TV as I feel he'd have us MAC contenders in no time. That's kind of the difference.

That's fair, I just wanted to make sure.  :D  Some don't realize it exists.  I don't attend many games outside of Basketball or Football either, but I usually give the volleyball coach at my school the VB tickets, and I attend a soccer game or two if it's a nice evening/interesting opponent.  Well worth it for three sports, not much so for two.

6 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Maybe that would get Joe Akron excited about Zips football

Unfortunately the only thing that excites Joe Akron is Ohio State. The Zips could go 13-0 and qualify for a New Years six game and Joe Akron would pay little attention. It sucks, but I think it is the reality. Although I would love to go 13-0 and hopefully find out that I am wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

Unfortunately the only thing that excites Joe Akron is Ohio State. The Zips could go 13-0 and qualify for a New Years six game and Joe Akron would pay little attention. It sucks, but I think it is the reality. Although I would love to go 13-0 and hopefully find out that I am wrong.

Eh, at least Joe Akron Would actually watch the game and probably root for Akron this time.

15 hours ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

The Zips could go 13-0 and qualify for a New Years six game and Joe Akron would pay little attention.

I'd disagree on this part.  You're underestimating the BANDWAGON mentality of sports fans in NE Ohio.  People would be coming out of the woodwork and claiming that they've always been a huge Zips fan, and have been loyal to the school and supported them for decades.

Remember, these are the same Akronites who fill the bars every Saturday and buy all of that Red and Silver gear when OSWho is having a similar season, and most of them have no affiliation with that school whatsoever.  Akron, on the other hand, has tons of people who are Akron alums, or have family that are Akron alums, worked at the University, etc.  They'd go absolutely crazy if we had a season like you describe above.....

.....and then they'd disappear again just as quickly as they emerged.  

47 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'd disagree on this part.  You're underestimating the BANDWAGON mentality of sports fans in NE Ohio.  People would be coming out of the woodwork and claiming that they've always been a huge Zips fan, and have been loyal to the school and supported them for decades.

Remember, these are the same Akronites who fill the bars every Saturday and buy all of that Red and Silver gear when OSWho is having a similar season, and most of them have no affiliation with that school whatsoever.  Akron, on the other hand, has tons of people who are Akron alums, or have family that are Akron alums, worked at the University, etc.  They'd go absolutely crazy if we had a season like you describe above.....

.....and then they'd disappear again just as quickly as they emerged.  

I think it's somewhere in the middle. The year the Zips went to a bowl game, 1/2 of Joe Akron did not know about it. There is not enough real coverage of the Zips and having GT as the beat reporter doesn't help, but it has to be more than GT, it requires the city and all local media to take an interest. The city still seems completely disconnected from the program. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think Joe Akron would react to a 13-0 season with a collective yawn.  As long as the Buckeyes are riding high, no one in NE Ohio is going to spend one minute or one dime on the Zips.

Now, if the Buckeyes fell off the radar and lost to Michigan 10 years in a row at the same time Akron put together a 13 win season, then maybe around 9100 Joes might take note.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, K92 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think Joe Akron would react to a 13-0 season with a collective yawn.  As long as the Buckeyes are riding high, no one in NE Ohio is going to spend one minute or one dime on the Zips.

Now, if the Buckeyes fell off the radar and lost to Michigan 10 years in a row at the same time Akron put together a 13 win season, then maybe around 9100 Joes might take note.

What if that 13-0 season included wins over a #5 Penn State for example and maybe even a New Year's Day bowl win?