Facebook asked me a question. . .

That should be a no-brainer.   But not here.  

But maybe there's hope.  If you were at the concert at Canal Park on Saturday, you would have seen that both the headline act and the guys in the opening band attempted to get the OHIO chant going with the crowd on several occasions for some cheap applause.  The response was pretty quiet.  Even the singer and his daughter both paraded themselves out in OSU gear.  

You'd think that the organizers (and Children's Hospital was the big beneficiary of the event) would have told them that a Large D-1 University was a few blocks down the road.      

6 hours ago, LZIp said:

Half of my dorm floor failed out before the first year was over.

That's the way it SHOULD be IMO.  College should be accessible not because of your ability to pay $$$ but your ability to work and achieve at what you're studying.  Too many college policies these days give second, third, forth chances because Universities need the $$$$.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balsy said:

That's the way it SHOULD be IMO.  College should be accessible not because of your ability to pay $$$ but your ability to work and achieve at what you're studying.  Too many college policies these days give second, third, forth chances because Universities need the $$$$.  

Akron should strive to have better than a lower than average graduation rate.

44 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Interesting - our graduation rate should be 50%, tops?

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Akron should strive to have better than a lower than average graduation rate.

Akron should strive to be the best place to get an education.  The best, most rigorous, and relevant curriculum taught by people who know what their doing/talking about (not part-time-contingent faculty).  Not an arbitrary number that has nothing to do with the strength of your program.

90% graduation rate doesn't mean good program to me.  To me it looks like a program that cuts corners to artificially inflate it's own success rate it uses to sell to people.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Interesting - our graduation rate should be 50%, tops?

59% is the national average today.  Graduation rates have been steadily rising over the last 30 years.  So...either 1) The quality of education at universities has increased so much that more people are graduating!  or 2) Universities have found a way to cut corners where ever they can in order to inflate their own numbers.

Which one is more likely?  My freshman classes should have been a 100x more difficult than they were.  My first real college class I took my sophomore year; genetics.

26 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

One of Bernie Sanders' speeches must have really had an influence on you.  

Actually Star Trek; where hard work determined your success...not your access to $$$$.  I don't necessarily agree with Bernie Sanders that college should be completely free, but the cost is out of control.

24 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

@balsy why does it have to be either or? 

What are you talking about?  When did I say it had to be either or? 

Edited by Balsy

57 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Akron should strive to be the best place to get an education.  The best, most rigorous, and relevant curriculum taught by people who know what their doing/talking about (not part-time-contingent faculty).  Not an arbitrary number that has nothing to do with the strength of your program.

90% graduation rate doesn't mean good program to me.  To me it looks like a program that cuts corners to artificially inflate it's own success rate it uses to sell to people.

59% is the national average today.  Graduation rates have been steadily rising over the last 30 years.  So...either 1) The quality of education at universities has increased so much that more people are graduating!  or 2) Universities have found a way to cut corners where ever they can in order to inflate their own numbers.

Which one is more likely?  My freshman classes should have been a 100x more difficult than they were.  My first real college class I took my sophomore year; genetics.

This is just an odd take. You don't think Akron's shitty graduation rates had/have anything to do with them having zero or very low admission requirements? The graduation rates have a lot more to do with who they let in than how tough the programs are.

Harvard has a 98% graduation rate. Their programs must be a joke! I'm sure there would be a pretty clear correlation when comparing the more "prestigious" schools with the schools with the higher graduation rates.

Half of my dorm floor failed out their freshman year because they partied every night, got into drugs, and never went to class. None of that has anything to do with how tough any programs are. It has everything to do with how responsible someone is, which is why I am posting it as my advice. Can't believe an innocent comment has evolved into this discussion.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

Actually Star Trek; where hard work determined your success...not your access to $$$$.  I don't necessarily agree with Bernie Sanders that college should be completely free, but the cost is out of control.

What are you talking about?  When did I say it had to be either or? 

You literally said either or

13 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

You literally said either or

Oh sorry I wasn't sure what you were referring to, that's my bad.  Of course I was being slightly hyperbolic, but that was because graduation rate has nothing to do with the quality of the education.  But when you put a financial incentive for institutions with graduation rate as the benchmark for either sanction or success, do you seriously believe that it's going to improve in quality?  Because I'm here to tell you it doesn't  It'll become a game of CEOs and whatever other ridiculous title they give themselves at universities, to cut corners wherever possible in order to meet the arbitrary benchmarks/criteria to make themselves look good.  I see this game happen all the time, as I work in that field....and none of it improves the integrity or quality of the education system.  That's the point I'm trying to drive.  If you like I can PM you all the firsthand accounts where I've seen this.

Edited by Balsy

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

This is just an odd take. You don't think Akron's shitty graduation rates had/have anything to do with them having zero or very low admission requirements? The graduation rates have a lot more to do with who they let in than how tough the programs are.

Harvard has a 98% graduation rate. Their programs must be a joke! I'm sure there would be a pretty clear correlation when comparing the more "prestigious" schools with the schools with the higher graduation rates.

Half of my dorm floor failed out their freshman year because they partied every night, got into drugs, and never went to class. None of that has anything to do with how tough any programs are. It has everything to do with how responsible someone is, which is why I am posting it as my advice. Can't believe an innocent comment has evolved into this discussion.

A 30% graduation rate at Akron, and a 84% graduation rate at OSU (public-public comparison) doesn't actually tell you anything about how good the institutions are, I agree with you.   Which is why I made the original comment the way I did.  I pretty much responded that it's the way it should be, prompting people to backlash to my comment, which is why I had to go into further explanation.

My original point was:  You should either sink or float by your own accord, money shouldn't have anything to do with it.  Unfortunately, states have started to put $$$ on the line for not retaining students longer.  Graduation rates (as you and I both agree) have nothing to do with the goodness of the programs, however the state's incentive structure for dwindling funding, does.

But I'm done with this particular point.

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

Oh sorry I wasn't sure what you were referring to, that's my bad.  Of course I was being slightly hyperbolic, but that was because graduation rate has nothing to do with the quality of the education.  But when you put a financial incentive for institutions with graduation rate as the benchmark for either sanction or success, do you seriously believe that it's going to improve in quality?  Because I'm here to tell you it doesn't  It'll become a game of CEOs and whatever other ridiculous title they give themselves at universities, to cut corners wherever possible in order to meet the arbitrary benchmarks/criteria to make themselves look good.  I see this game happen all the time, as I work in that field....and none of it improves the integrity or quality of the education system.  That's the point I'm trying to drive.  If you like I can PM you all the firsthand accounts where I've seen this.

I would not like that. Just a simple question. It's probably a little of both 

2 hours ago, K92 said:

I just started this thread to be a smartass not to start a debate over the square root of fuckall.  ???

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Also a little disappointed in the mature audience here that no one made a comment on the amount of likes in the initial post

Nothing but mute points guys. :unsure2: