The Tight End Position

zipsoutsider

On 8/14/2017 at 1:29 PM, Dr Z said:

For those tight end lovers, Darryl Long looks every bit of 6'4" and 250, if I were a QB in the redzone, and I saw him crossing the endzone, I'm chucking it up high to him. 

Tight Ends are a great weapon in the NFL.  Not nearly as much in the MAC.

8 minutes ago, K92 said:

If all goes according to plan, they will be helping to open up some nice holes for #34 this year. The team has nice size at the position right now.  IMO, I thought #10 was the type of weapon that nobody else in the MAC had last year. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

If all goes according to plan, they will be helping to open up some nice holes for #34 this year. The team has nice size at the position right now.  IMO, I thought #10 was the type of weapon that nobody else in the MAC had last year. 

I'm with ya, Doc but weapons need to be integrated into the system and game plan or they are just wasted talent.  Many schools have problems with this, not just the Zips.

38 minutes ago, K92 said:

Please tell our OC that TE's do indeed exist. I think he likens them to unicorns or good Kent State football .......they are not for real :lol:

Since I have followed Akron football (27 years), I can remember three tight ends who had some kind of stats, Mike Brake, Tim Ritley, and Kris Kasparak. Am I missing anyone?

List the best statistical year from your favorite Zips TE weapon.

Mike Brake (2003) 27 rec 449 yards 5 TD

Ritley (2000) 16 rec 250 yards 1 TD

Kasparak (2005) 27 rec 312 yards 0 TD  *These stats include a 6/70 yard  bowl game

Mykel Traylor-Bennett  (2016)  9 rec 97 yards 1 TD / 10 attempts 46 yards 4 TD *These stats are only for 7 games because of injury

I remember a TE by the name of Kelly who played several decades ago and even played a game or two with the Browns when the owners went with replacement players during a strike. I have no stats to offer, but I do recall he was one of the best TE's the Zips have ever had. That is to someone who has been watching Zip football for nearly  50 years. He even played one season at center for Huggins. I loved his subbing in against Middle Tenn and seeing their thugs go flying out of the lane as he sent a message not to f--- with the Zips.

17 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

He even played one season at center for Huggins. 

Before my time, but Chris Kelley scored 90 points in three seasons for the Zips basketball team. He was drafted in the 7th round by the Steelers, I don't think he ever played a down for them, but he played two games for the Browns, and kicked an extra point?!? 

(1986) Chris Kelley 31 rec 480 yards  4 TD

If the Zips can recruit a guy with first round pick OJ Howard's skills (and put Alabama player talent around him), they can look forward to a statistical season like he had last year (2016) 45 rec 595 yards and 3 TD  He did this in 15 games. Makes you wonder how many more TD's our TE would have scored if he was healthy and got to play in fifteen instead of 5 TD's in seven games. It would project out to just a little over 10 TDs. O.J. Howard's blocking will provide greatest impact in Tampa.

(1996) Jason Taylor 1 rec 1 yards 1 TD (as Hilltopper referred to above)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/14/2017 at 2:44 PM, Dr Z said:

Since I have followed Akron football (27 years), I can remember three tight ends who had some kind of stats, Mike Brake, Tim Ritley, and Kris Kasparak. Am I missing anyone?

List the best statistical year from your favorite Zips TE weapon.

Mike Brake (2003) 27 rec 449 yards 5 TD

Ritley (2000) 16 rec 250 yards 1 TD

Kasparak (2005) 27 rec 312 yards 0 TD  *These stats include a 6/70 yard  bowl game

Mykel Traylor-Bennett  (2016)  9 rec 97 yards 1 TD / 10 attempts 46 yards 4 TD *These stats are only for 7 games because of injury

Of the true tight ends listed here (Traylor-Bennett was more of an H back and wildcat runner than tight end), I won't say Booker was utilized well with only 6 catches but he scored more TDs (3) than anyone but Brake. Happy Thanksgiving Zips fans. Enjoy the sight of the stadium today where the Zips will be playing for the MAC Championship next week! ?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 2:19 PM, Buckzip said:

I'd like to see him on the DL. 

After watching him all season you might be on to something. He has difficulty catching. But is bulky enough to be at a DL or LB spot inside. Then,MAYBE they get the second coming of Cody Grice by using him in the backfield on short yardage. That would be a site!

5 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

After watching him all season you might be on to something. He has difficulty catching. But is bulky enough to be at a DL or LB spot inside. Then,MAYBE they get the second coming of Cody Grice by using him in the backfield on short yardage. That would be a site!

He has been pretty damn good in his current position, especially considering he is a true freshman. He has 1 "drop" all year, so I don't see where your opinion of him having difficulty catching the ball is coming from, unless you're solely basing it on his body type. 3 TD/drop ratio is pretty good if you ask me, and we aren't even talking about his blocking ability here.

5 hours ago, Bruce Willis Drummond said:

Any TE, not just Booker, is gonna have trouble catching the ball when they don’t leave the line of scrimmage.

:lol::lol: I"ve always said that Milwee can shut down our O better than any DC.

• Haha 1