Scrimmage Photography & Interviews

Dr Z

practice_01_Aug2017.jpg

The team takes the field early Saturday morning.

practice_02_Aug2017.jpg

Thomas Woodson warms up.

practice_03_Aug2017.jpg

Robbie Kelley gets ready for the Zips scrimmage.

practice_04_Aug2017.jpg

The offensive line gets some work on the side. 

practice_05_Aug2017.jpg

Cedric McCoy helps Jovann Letuli defend a spin move.

practice_06_Aug2017.jpg

Jemarulin Suggs works on his catching skills.

practice_07_Aug2017.jpg

Warren Ball looks the football into his hands. 

practice_08_Aug2017.jpg

AJ Coney reaches for a pass, as "coach" Mykel keeps his teammates motivated. 

practice_09_Aug2017.jpg

Jaquavis Dixon gets ready for his successful day of work. 

practice_10_Aug2017.jpg

Anthony Young looks to be healthy this year. 

practice_11_Aug2017.jpg

Coach Stroud is optimistic about the team's talent level this year. 

practice_12_Aug2017.jpg

Some of the linebackers get some ball skill work in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I spoke with assistant head coach Todd Stroud, and head coach Terry Bowden after scrimmage yesterday.

Can you tell me about the talent level of this team compared to previous years here? Coach Stroud: We’ve had some special players at the defensive line position here in spots. We have had a couple dominate ends in Nordly Capi and Jamal Marcus, but the biggest difference now, especially over the last four days of work, has been the evolvement of about eight guys that can play winning football in the MAC. We have a lot of healthy competition going on at the defensive tackle spot, especially with Camera and Darius Copeland. Brennan Williams is starting to challenge Brock Boxen, we have a great battle at the left end position with Deon’Tae Moore and Jamal Davis. Jamal has really come on in the past three weeks. Our former walk on Brian Reinke is starting at right end, and he had three sacks today, he is moving around really well, and he is getting pushed by Josh Ward. So we have eight guys that we believe there is not a whole lot of difference between these eight guys. It’s a good problem to have.

We had players breaking records in the weight room this off-season, we have seen a Sports Illustrated workout article on Warren Ball, are we going to see a more physical team this season? Coach Stroud: I think so. The sole purpose of a good strength and conditioning program is injury prevention. I think the fact that we have had the same strength and conditioning coach here for three years, you will start to see obvious benefits this year.

What can you tell fans to get them excited for this season? Coach Stroud: As a defensive unit I think we have identified who our guys are right now. Last year, we lost four of our front seven, now we have experience coming back at linebacker, and with our two deep in the front seven, with the exception of Jamal Davis, they all have game experience.

Can you speak about the secondary? Coach Stroud: One of our corners in particular, Darian Dailey, we feel like he is going to be a special corner for us. Alvin Davis stood out again today, we have great leadership in Zach Guiser. This is probably the best backend we have had since we have been here, and that’s saying a mouthful because we were really good on the backend last year. They are all (secondary) doing great.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What was Tommy’s schedule like this week? Coach Bowden: Tommy has to go out and show that he is over his injuries. Every day he gets well, he gets better and better, he just needs to go out and show that he can lead this football team.

So he is throwing? Coach Bowden: Yes, he is throwing.

Was he able to go today in scrimmage? Coach Bowden: No, he wasn’t able to go today, so we held him out.

Of the QB’s that played today in scrimmage, who looked good? Coach Bowden: They were all about the same. Defense dominated, we have a lot of injuries though, a lot of lineman out, a lot of backs out, and a lot of receivers out so the QB’s didn’t really have an opportunity to shine today. I don’t think anybody made any real mistakes, but they are all in a bunch.

With the defense dominated today’s scrimmage, can you tell me who stood out? Coach Bowden: I can’t really name one person because they played so well, they just gave up no plays. The offense has been taking charge most of the early scrimmages, today was the first day that I thought the defense totally dominated the day. The offense never really moved the football, so it’s good to see, if we are going to be a good football team, it’s going to start with defense.

What is the attitude as you prepare for PSU? Coach Bowden: The fact that PSU is our opening game is in the back of the their (the players) mind, and that motivates you to practice hard. But we are not doing any kind of game planning for our first game, we are still in our preseason. About nine days before the game we will start focusing on the particular plays both offensively and defensively. The fact that we play PSU early, the players know what an opportunity it is to go out and play in front of a big audience on national television and play the best they can play.

Is your running game or passing game further along this preseason? Coach Bowden: When we scrimmage and we don’t play Warren Ball (which was the case today), because we don’t want to get him hurt, we are not as good in the running game. They are both coming along, but we need to get better and better at the running game and feature that more and more.

We are fairly certain that Austin Wolf and Tra’Von Chapman will catch their fair share of balls this year, who else do you see contributing in the wide receiver group? Coach Bowden: AJ Coney has been a starter, so AJ, but yes Chapman and Wolf can play, then everybody else has a chance to contribute.

How will you get pressure from your front seven this year? Coach Bowden: We have moved Jamal Davis to a defensive end, Josh Ward is a young guy that has skills at rushing the passer, and of course our linebackers, when they blitz, they have a great chance. Ulysees Gilbert was one of our best rushers from the linebacker position, so we’ll find the best, and most talented people and find ways to get them to attack the quarterback.

What makes Ulysees Gilbert special? Coach Bowden: He’s a hard worker and he’s smart. He’s six foot two, and weighs two twenty-eight and runs a four four. He has great athletic ability, and besides that, he has great work ethic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

It sounds like we were one year away from the depth that we needed last year. I like hearing about the talent starting to stack up on defense. When you consider that we really only stopped stacking the D with transfers 2 years ago, the transition happened pretty quickly. 

If you get a chance to go and interview, again, maybe ask if there will be any changes in the kicking game, like using different PKs for kicking off and FGs. O'Leary did a good job for us with FGs last year but we were among the worst in the nation for kick offs. Our punting game also was fairly dismal. Gasser did not punt long, but he was descent at putting the ball where it needed go.

Normally I get everything TB is doing, both tactics and strategy. But I gotta admit I don't understand why he answers questions about TW's injury the way he does. TB does not ever directly answer a question. I'd rather him pull a Lou Holtz and describe disaster than say TW is doing well, but not playing. What is that? We will not take Penn State by surprise no matter how well TW is. The next team is Arkansas PB and we don't have to hide players' status for them. If the team wants to build excitement for the season and put fans in the stands tell us the truth. If TW is passing how far? How much speed on the ball? Can his shoulder take a hit? Personally, until TW recovers, I have no problem with going into the season with one of our backup QB's.

Thank you Dr. Z for all your information. At least you asked the hard questions. We are starved for something to believe in and you gave us hope. Much appreciated.

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Normally I get everything TB is doing, both tactics and strategy. But I gotta admit I don't understand why he answers questions about TW's injury the way he does. TB does not ever directly answer a question. I'd rather him pull a Lou Holtz and describe disaster than say TW is doing well, but not playing. What is that? 

Don't forget, he also went to law school...lawyer speak. :)

Last season he answered that way, because they were seeing different things from Tommy on different days. I wonder if that is still happening. I really hope not. It sounds like they were sitting some folks out to protect them from a pre-season injury. Let's hope that's all it was. If Tommy is healthy, he can get by with fewer reps.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

A couple of other notes from the day. I was told there will be a few walk-ons added to the roster this week, for those interested. One senior offensive player told me: "watch out for Tra'Von, he has been blowing up practices." @UA1987, from coach Stroud's comments about the defensive line rotation I'm guessing if the eight man rotation stays healthy, they would prefer to redshirt Justin Sampson, but MAN he gets off the ball quick. From as much as one can evaluate a quarterback in practice, I am impressed with Robby Kelley's release and accuracy. I also noticed Kato seems more comfortable in the pocket, keeping in mind you can't hit him in practice. For those tight end lovers, Darryl Long looks every bit of 6'4" and 250, if I were a QB in the redzone, and I saw him crossing the endzone, I'm chucking it up high to him. 

Thanks Doc. As pointed out above, TB's answers were kind of meh where we didn't really learn anything. That sort of leads me to believe Woody will be good to go week 1 without any setbacks, but who knows. I like that Reinke seems like a lock to start at right DE. I like what I saw out of him in limited time last year. Wasn't he originally a walk on?

I never realized how much Keener loves tight ends ;)

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I like that Reinke seems like a lock to start at right DE. I like what I saw out of him in limited time last year. Wasn't he originally a walk on?

He was. I was also told he had a great offseason in the weight room. I have seen some quickness around the end from him this summer. I would have him on a bet sheet with odds for the first sack of the season. 

59 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Last time I'll bring this up as I can't imagine him not being here already if he was coming back, but any Brian Bell sighting? I have not seen him in any videos and he is not on the roster.

I'll keep an eye out. I was told at this time of the season the roster is changing daily. 

12 hours ago, LZIp said:

Thanks Doc. As pointed out above, TB's answers were kind of meh where we didn't really learn anything. That sort of leads me to believe Woody will be good to go week 1 without any setbacks, but who knows. I like that Reinke seems like a lock to start at right DE. I like what I saw out of him in limited time last year. Wasn't he originally a walk on?

I never realized how much Keener loves tight ends ;)

I mean who wouldn't love tight ends in the college game???  Especially when the highest rated TE in FBS last year netted his team almost 500 whopping yards???  Woohoo!!!