Women's Soccer Thread

Hopefully we'll be saying that more this year.  Today was a good step forward.  Exhibition win over Robert Morris in PA.  Lots of youngsters on this squad, so who knows, but we'll get a look Friday under the lights and Sunday afternoon.  My quess is 5 wins, but possibly 8 optimistically.    4 and 7 MAC record, but if things fall in place 5 and 6 and a berth in MAC tourney.  Catie Corrigan, Shea O'Brien and Erica Schrader keys, and newcomers Rylie Howman and keeper Grace Young should be contributors.  Still more fun than 5 seasons ago...

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Balsy said:

I think the proper term is WSOC or Lady Zips...

See, I was worried about that "Lady" thingy...hence going with the "Women" tag...I know Noreen doesn't want them playing "lady-like" soccer!  So I guess my old age is showing, whilst trying to be PC!

Not a bad start for WSOC.  8 freshmen start against 2 time defending champ Milwaukee from Horizon League, and picked to win again in 2017.  0-0 draw, with the team looking stronger as match progressed.  Impressed with frosh keeper Amani Jiu, who made some very athletic saves, and commanded the backs well.  Also, freshmen Wilson twins are strong, fast and relentless.  St. V/St. M product Catie Corrigan shows good offensive skills and a good boot.  Tomorrow should be a chance to see how quickly they rebound from an overtime match on two day rest.

• Like 1

This time it counts....Zips WSOC win their first regular season match of 2018, 3-0 over Green Bay.  A little disorganized to start the match but then settled into a nice attack in the second, similar to Friday night.  Erica Schrader seems to like the leadership role and Baughman, Corrigan and O'Brien look more relaxed now they have a season or two under them.  Jiu in goal is sure going to be a factor going forward.  Now the first road trip and the competition gets a little tougher.  I like 1-0-1 after the first weekend though.

• Like 2

Ouch...Ouch...Ouch....

A bad weekend in Chicago for WSOC.  Young and inexperienced, it showed against better competition.  I expect a better outcome and a comeback this Thursday against Cleveland State.  Come on out and see, Cub Cadet this Thursday....

21 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

If you need a Zip fix, soccer fix, whatever....just bored....the Women's soccer team ....WSOC....are playing Loyola - Chicago on ESPN3...

I always try to watch the Lady Zips whenever I can.  Hopefully they'll be on ESPN3 more often, I know i see WBB during the season from time to time.  The Zips feed has always been so bad I haven't even tried looking at it in years.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, ZipsVoice said:

My quess is 5 wins, but possibly 8 optimistically.

Okay, I had a chance to watch 30-35 minutes of the second half of tonight's game.  And...ZipsVoice is my new source of info on Zips Women's soccer.   Cleveland State was the better team throughout tonight, clearly displaying more team speed and passing ability.  Akron was successful at playing a physical game against them, but athleticism won out.   I thought we would be able to escape with a draw, but I saw if any real scoring opportunities for the Zips.  On the other hand, my Leahi Soccer Club protégé, Ali Lorenzo, #10 of CSU was the best player on the field.  After beating KSU last week, Cleveland State is in first in the MAC East.

13 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Okay, I had a chance to watch 30-35 minutes of the second half of tonight's game.  And...ZipsVoice is my new source of info on Zips Women's soccer.   Cleveland State was the better team throughout tonight, clearly displaying more team speed and passing ability.  Akron was successful at playing a physical game against them, but athleticism won out.   I thought we would be able to escape with a draw, but I saw if any real scoring opportunities for the Zips.  On the other hand, my Leahi Soccer Club protégé, Ali Lorenzo, #10 of CSU was the best player on the field.  After beating KSU last week, Cleveland State is in first in the MAC East.

Thanks for the shout out Z.I.P.  I agree, Lorenzo was pretty darn good, and she had lots of opportunities, and was unlucky not to score.  The ESPN3 announcers seemed to think Prathapa was CSU's best, but I wasn't impressed.  She missed a point blank shot that could have ended it in regulation.  Only one correction....Cleveland State is in the Horizon League, but you are right, after beating both Akron and Kent they WOULD be in first in the MAC East!!  (or was your comment tongue-in-cheek?)

Edited by ZipsVoice
spelling
  • Haha 1

Another lost weekend for WSOC.  Thursday vs. Cleveland St. they played hard and defended well, but couldn't push the "score" button, and today was the same thing.  They deserved a point on Thursday, but dropped it in the second OT period, and the Niagara goal today was a roller between GK's feet, but she was screened off seeing the...err...shot.  Thursday was a solid physical match, but Sunday was a lethargic first half.  But they played very hard and pressing in the second.  The youth is showing, not sure they're used to playing at this speed for 90 minutes yet.  Still a fun team to watch though, and they really try.  Rachel Eck got in for the first time and had some promising looks.  Catie Corrigan was all hustle off the bench in the second half, Anamarie Alfery had a nice match at right wing.  Erica Schrader still shows leadership and hustle.  It's gonna turn around, it's just a question of when?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Women held their own against a damn good Dayton team but came up a goal short, but they played hard, and everyone seemed content with the effort, if not the result.  Amato making up for lost time since she returned to play.  Interesting that the Dayton goalkeeper coach played for Stow High School, Matt Tipton.  Friday night will tell us more before the MAC begns, as they play Duquesne.  Men are away on Saturday, and Friday's forecast is very good - 78 and sunny, so Friday night would be a nice night to watch some Zip Soccer....

• Like 1

I think this is my past post in this topic....6 losses in a row doesn't exactly excite.  When I posted "Women Win!"  I didn't expect it to just be that one game....sorry, not trying to be negative here.  Last night vs. Duquesne the WSOC looked okay, but definitely regressed.  I guess a 1-0 loss to yet a second 2016 A10 Champion (??) isn't the end of the world, but there isn't a clear goal scorer on this squad.  Granted 8 freshman starters meant for a long season.  The MAC starts now and I think maybe I was even too optimistic thinking they'd win 4 MAC games...Hope they can turn this around, lots of great people in this program.

Edited by ZipsVoice
spelling
  • Sad 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:34 PM, ZipsVoice said:

I think this is my past post in this topic....6 losses in a row doesn't exactly excite.  When I posted "Women Win!"  I didn't expect it to just be that one game....sorry, not trying to be negative here.  Last night vs. Duquesne the WSOC looked okay, but definitely regressed.  I guess a 1-0 loss to yet a second 2016 A10 Champion (??) isn't the end of the world, but there isn't a clear goal scorer on this squad.  Granted 8 freshman starters meant for a long season.  The MAC starts now and I think maybe I was even too optimistic thinking they'd win 4 MAC games...Hope they can turn this around, lots of great people in this program.

Yeah -- this is NOT the type of schedule that is needed by a young team trying to get some level of confidence going into MAC play!  Doesn't Arkansas-Pine Bluff have a women's soccer team?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Women at Central Michigan, just scored the equalizer with 5:31 remaining...Ashley Amato!  On a corner.   Maybe.....

I hate watching soccer on artificial turf.  Looks like lots of bouncing plus a little wind in Mt. Pleasant....

• 2 weeks later...

What a great night for the WSOC.  This was how they can play.  Very nice 1 nil win over Miami.  Granted, Miami is not the elite MAC team this year, but Zips played hard-nosed aggressive soccer to gain this win.  Long time coming and the women deserve to be happy to win a match rather than a moral victory.  Amani was solid ingoal, and only had 1 save, but smothered 4 tough crosses before they made it to the crease.  Ally Brown very active and got an assist on the goal.  Shea O’Brien and Erica Schrader showed leadership, and Kiana contributed all night.  They all did.  Won the majority of 50 - 50 balls.  And Rachel Eck’s goal was very good.  Banged it home.  Kudos on coach’s mass substitution with under 10 to get defensive and fresh legged.  

• Like 2