Women's Soccer Thread

A great week for the WSOC....followed up their 1-0 win Thursday night with a brilliant nil-nil draw against the best women's team in the MAC, Ball State.  Ball State was 8-1-1 coming in to the match.  Amani was great in goal, and the defense really stepped up and frustrated the Cardinal strikers.  We had several scoring opportunities as well, but their keeper was also solid.  This was as entertaining as a nil-nil game can be, and Akron did not back down once.  I'd guess BSU possessed 55% vs. Akron's 45%.  Zuk was again solid off the bench early and never came back out.  Abigail Brown, Rachel Eck, Rachel Bachman and Shea O'Brien all troubled the Cardinal defense.  Sydney Schipani honored before the match as the ONLY senior on this team.  With just Thursday's 3 p.m. match remaining, things are improving, a lot, but a little too late.

• Like 1

The season is now officially over for WSOC, but it ended brightly, as the team battled a very good Buffalo team to a 2-2 double overtime draw.  Rachel Bachman scored about half way through the match and Buffalo equalized just before half.  Bachman hit again just past 50 minutes gone but Buffalo equalized 30 seconds later.  Rylie Howman and Kiki got assists and Jiu was very active in goal and had several great saves.  In fact she's the first Zipper GK to record 100 or more saves in a season, and she's just a freshman.

So, a win over Miami, followed by double OT draws with the top team from the West Ball State and  the third best team in the East Buffalo to finish the season with a 3 match unbeaten streak.  Not too shabby.  Not great, but they didn't roll over and play dead after the long losing streak.  And only 1 senior leaving.  These women are not afraid to take the ball to the net and are beginning to learn how to give it as good as they take it physically.  2018 is a long way off, but I think this will be a MAC Tournament team in 2018.  Z.I.P and I were both wrong on our predictions for the record....:unsure:

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Toledo Rockets WSOC on their MAC Championship.  KSU #1 seed got knocked out 2 to 1 Friday by BGSU.  Awwwww. :unsure:

Zips WSOC will be a contender in 2019 and will surprise and make MAC final 4 in 2018.  My early predictions...Go Zips!

Well, I'm surprised that MAC champs Toledo kind of lucked out and does not play a seeded team in the first round.  They play 13-5-2 Wisconsin, who I think lost in the first round of the BiG Tournament.  Go Rockets!  Do it for the MAC!

The bracket:

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-tournament-brackets/women/di/divisionid-1/2017?utm_source=TopDrawerSoccer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1d9c0d19db-TDS-11-8-17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8340315a79-1d9c0d19db-31214089

Edited by Z.I.P.
  • Thanks 1