I don't mind so much giving up the goal in the last few minutes when Loyola subbed a number of their starters back in against our subs to get the win. Perhaps the sting of giving up that goal and taking the loss will motivate some to now want to not experience that feeling again. However, I find the Zips continued lack of finishing to be troubling. A number of open shots missed and other opportunities not taken. I also don't understand the hesitation, which i saw twice in the first half, to follow through on a fast break counter attack. Twice the Zips were quickly moving forward with several players ahead of their defenders but then held up to allow more of our players to move up field, allowing the defenders to get up field as well. Is there an issue with driving to the goal with less than an optimal number of attacking players? Sure seemed to pay off for Diego Valeri and Darren Mattocks last night.

Edited by Zip_ME87

2 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I don't mind so much giving up the goal in the last few minutes when Loyola subbed a number of their starters back in against our subs to get the win. Perhaps the sting of giving up that goal and taking the loss will motivate some to now want to not experience that feeling again. However, I find the Zips continued lack of finishing to be troubling. A number of open shots missed and other opportunities not taken. I also don't understand the hesitation, which i saw twice in the first half, to follow through on a fast break counter attack. Twice the Zips were quickly moving forward with several players ahead of their defenders but then held up to allow more of our players to move up field, allowing the defenders to get up field as well. Is there an issue with driving to the goal with less than an optimal number of attacking players? Sure seemed to pay off for Diego Valeri and Darren Mattocks last night.

I have always liked the way the Zips have done just that in the past, and they were usually confident that even if the attack was thwarted, the center mids would have the pace and spacing to collect any breakups and prevent any quick counters, while keeping the ball in the offensive third.  Maybe no confidence in the support yet?

8 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Maybe no confidence in the support yet?

Perhaps no confidence in themselves (the players that were forward) and lack of speed for the support to move up quickly. The match was frustrating..."stinker" as Jared called it.

Loyola MD were a good test for Zips.

They were athletic and organized.

Zips played well for most of the match.

But the last 10 minutes was a train wreck.

No purpose is served by calling out players who will likely play a total of 10 minutes on the year. 

Embick emptied the bench for the last 20 plus bench.

Even so, the Zips in there played abysmally. 

There is no way Loyola should have had all those chances in the last 10 minutes, with their starters in or not. 

Doesn't matter.

I am disappointed that some at the end of our bench played as though they had some better place to be, something else they preferred doing.

There was no pride in Zips' performance during the last 10 minutes of that match.

I hope that bitter taste in our mouths (coaches, players, everybody) stays until the victory over Utah Valley State is safely in the books.