Nicknames and Mascots

Cykron

I've heard the you are named the Zips because of a zipper on a rubber boot.  Is that true?  How did that happen?  It seems a bit unfortunate.  Is it a nickname that you have grown to be fond of?  And what are some of the best jokes you have heard about it?  

And where does the kangaroo fit in?  

Inquiring minds want to know.  

Yeah, the zipper was invented in Akron.  So it's definitely an old-school nickname.  But I like it, it's unique & reflects the community.

Zippy the kangaroo came about via a student mascot contest, what, 50-some years ago?  I don't have time to google it this a.m.  Zippy won sort of as a joke - ala Yale's fight song "Boola Boola."  He's a funny mascot who is wimpy, utterly non-threatening & usually runs away from the other teams' mascots.  He's a comical mascot, not to be taken seriously.  Again, love it.  Though Zippy has a pouch, Zippy was always considered a male until recently, when someone pointed out only female kangaroos have pouches.  Lol.  Now sometimes Zippy's called a "she."  Whatever.  But it kinda spoils the non-threatening wimpy-ness of Zippy if he's morphed into a female.  It throws a politically incorrect curveball at his harmless, wimpy schtick.  Another mascot shouldn't want to beat up on a girl. Lol.  It ruins the inside joke.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Yeah, the zipper was invented in Akron.  So it's definitely an old-school nickname.  But I like it, it's unique & reflects the community.

Zippy the kangaroo came about via a student mascot contest, what, 50-some years ago?  I don't have time to google it this a.m.  Zippy won sort of as a joke - ala Yale's fight song "Boola Boola."  He's a funny mascot who is wimpy, utterly non-threatening & usually runs away from the other teams' mascots.  He's a comical mascot, not to be taken seriously.  Again, love it.  Though Zippy has a pouch, Zippy was always considered a male until recently, when someone pointed out only female kangaroos have pouches.  Lol.  Now sometimes Zippy's called a "she."  Whatever.  But it kinda spoils the non-threatening wimpy-ness of Zippy if he's morphed into a female.  It throws a politically incorrect curveball at his harmless, wimpy schtick.  Another mascot shouldn't want to beat up on a girl. Lol.  It ruins the inside joke.

Thanks.  Funny how that both of us got our nicknames in rather tangential ways.  I love the way you guys have embraced it.  It is certainly unique.

Akron Zippers first appeared in 1923 (BF Goodrich product name) and then The kangaroo mascot first came in 1953.  Making it's debut as "Mr. Zip".  Mr. Zippy transformed into Zippy, and he became she.  I actually like that Zippy is a girl, makes us like one of three schools with a female primary mascot.  

• 2 years later...

It's National Zipper Day everyone!  A BIG shout out to Benjamin Franklin Goodrich.  Hope he's tuned in!  And to the legendary Margaret Hamlin whose name was picked as the official nickname of The University of Akron athletic teams.  That was in I think 1927.  Hello, Maggie!

• Like 1