Game 8—@Toledo Rockets

Dr Z

14 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I'll keep a better eye out. I have to admit, I had a hard time telling who the receivers were this week with the quality of the broadcast. I'd give my left pinky for college football snap counts. I do remember a lot of 12 personnel with Smith and Wolf early. Maybe I'll go back and try to rewatch who was playing when it was 11. 

Trust me since Troy he has been limited, he is starting H receiver (4 wide) we have only been in it in obvious passing downs & he subs for Coney in (3 wide) which have been in a lot & we have also been in double tight end quite a bit

29 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Trust me since Troy he has been limited, he is starting H receiver (4 wide) we have only been in it in obvious passing downs & he subs for Coney in (3 wide) which have been in a lot & we have also been in double tight end quite a bit

Yeah, rewatching the first half of that game, I didn't realize how many 12 and 22 personnel sets we run. Way more than our typical 11. Sunday Zips games are tough for me. I have three NFL games on, and watch with a group. I also didn't realize how many snaps Bickley got. BTW, Booker played awesome. @94zipgrad, in your opinion, why is AJ changing it up?

I wish they had this data for the MAC.

25 minutes ago, CDMac said:

Can we monetize it?

I'll give you a like if you just put a check next to Wolf, Coney, Chapman, Kwad, Bickley and other receiver that is in on each play, and give me the totals next week. ?

I would also be interested for someone else to do the defensive line. 

If we can start to gather a history of data, then you can approach someone about selling it if that's your thing. I really only care about the Zips, but I'm sure there are college football fans that like the game enough to value this info. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I'll give you a like if you just put a check next to Wolf, Coney, Chapman, Kwad, Bickley and other receiver that is in on each play, and give me the totals next week

Damnit... I am reminded, now, of something I heard so often in the Marine Corps...

Don't volunteer for anything

Having All 22 film would be GREAT. That's the next evolution; All 22 access to collegiate football like Gamepass has for the NFL.

Let me see what I can do. You want the personnel packages (11, 12, 21, etc.) or just the receivers in on each play?

I guess what I'm asking is, do you want the end game of this data to reflect the personnel packages the Zips are deploying or do you just want to see the snap counts for each player?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CDMac said:

I guess what I'm asking is, do you want the end game of this data to reflect the personnel packages the Zips are deploying or do you just want to see the snap counts for each player?

I have nothing at this point, I will take anything you are willing to do! :bow::bow::bow::bow:

Start small, don't ruin your day by overdoing it. Hopefully others will join in. 

5 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Start small, don't ruin your day by overdoing it. Hopefully others will join in. 

Yeah, that's not how this old dog hunts...

Some is good; more is better :thumb:

I'll give it a whirl and see what I can come up with. I'll DVR the game and that will allow me to go back and get the data after we watch the game.

Momma isn't going to let me pause the game to count players on Saturday while it's live but I could do it Sunday morning before the NFL slate.

• Like 1

@CDMac & @Dr Z, please understand I could be completely wrong this week, this is what we have been doing since 2nd half of Troy,  game plan could be 4 wide & pass this week, my bet is they stay the same that has kept them in close games.  We could also fall behind & have to open it up, I don’t have an agenda was just adding to someone else’s WR comment

7 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

@CDMac & @Dr Z, please understand I could be completely wrong this week, this is what we have been doing since 2nd half of Troy,  game plan could be 4 wide & pass this week, my bet is they stay the same that has kept them in close games.  We could also fall behind & have to open it up, I don’t have an agenda was just adding to someone else’s WR comment

No worries -  we're not going to compile this data in order to prove you wrong/right (at least I'm not); we're just looking to detail the personnel packages because that's what football nerds do :rock: and it can be informative to know how they're trying to deploy their assets/attack the defense.

25 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I do agree we have seen less of Chapman - it would be interesting to document the defensive scheme when he is in the game vs. when he is not.

I remain concerned with our lack of playmakers.

50 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

@CDMac & @Dr Z, please understand I could be completely wrong this week

Understood. My intent is not to prove anybody wrong or right. I just like to see who, and how the Zips offense attacks the defense. And, how the offense evolves. Helps me better understand, and dissect the game and my team. I appreciate any of your input. 

24 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I remain concerned with our lack of playmakers.

How does that change? I don't think it will.

Maybe getting Booker more involved in the offense helps a bit. Maybe Sands can add a home run threat. But JoJo Natson ain't comin' back. Our offense pretty much is-what-it-is.

30 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

How does that change? I don't think it will.

Maybe getting Booker more involved in the offense helps a bit. Maybe Sands can add a home run threat. But JoJo Natson ain't comin' back. Our offense pretty much is-what-it-is.

I tend to agree. At this point it is what is. I was sort if  hoping maybe Stewart or A. Williams would see more action and turn out to be a threat but it doesn'tlook like that is going to happen. I am still holding out some hope we see a little more of Sands.

Maybe some of the plays eill emerge as we work Kato in and he runs the ball and we may yet see Chapman make big plays for us. It is just hard to adjust to life after Jojo, lol.

Amongst the Fans here, I think we could compile our own ZipsNation publication on just the Zips.  Between photographers, writers, and stat-watchers, we'd have the most info of any MAC fanbase out there...and we'd put the guy who get's paid to do this crap to shame.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 7:31 PM, Balsy said:

One thing I don't think we've talked enough about is how we've seen this team improve week-to-week. 

It has been fun to watch you guys improve.  And us too (Iowa State).  Who would have thought at the time that our game would likely have bowl implications for both teams?  At any rate, I hope both of us keep doing well and improving week to week.  Now let's get into a couple of decent bowls.  Or maybe even a rematch?  ;)

MAC Weekly Media Teleconference Audio (Bowden)

• In the first seven games, Akron has scored on its opening drive five times.  Conversely, Akron's defense has kept its opponents from scoring at all, forcing four turnovers.

• Day behind in preperation for Toledo because of getting home late. 

• Coach Bowden has more wins on Sunday than Hue Jackson this year. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

So how do we beat Toledo?

Looks like beautiful weather, so there's no chance we play on a Sunday. Damn.

I can see us holding the Rockets to under 30 points, but how do we score more than 30?

Beating WMU gives us a little swagger and confidence. That will help. But... 

Woodson needs to play his best game yet as a Zip

25 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Woodson needs to play his best game yet as a Zip

We need a Chapman, Wolfe, or other offensive player to step up. My money is on Chapman.

It would be great for Woody to have a career day, but it is no good if the receivers don't step up.

Edited by zipsoutsider