Game 8—@Toledo Rockets

Dr Z

Toledo's Logan Woodside has MAC's best returning QB -- by Elton Alexander

"....few are predicting a Toledo repeat of Western Michigan's undefeated regular season run to a profitable New Year's Bowl game, it is not out of the question. The Rockets play at Nevada, host Tulsa, and play at Miami (Fla.) in games where victories could easily vault them into the national rankings. From there, it's all about navigating through the MAC schedule, including late-season, mid-week games at Ohio University and at Bowling Green, back-to-back."

• 1 month later...

I have said for over 20 years about Toledo: Never count them out!

I like our chances, but this is not the game to show up cocky. Just take care of business(and run the ball more) and I like our chances!

Edited by lance99
added to a sentence

47 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Toledo by 17. I've said all year I think they are in a league of their own. Nothing has happened to make me think otherwise.

I have not caught any part of a Toledo game this year, but from their stats, this appears to be true. However, I don't think there is a lot of a distance between the top and the bottom of the MAC, overall, this year.

18 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I have not caught any part of a Toledo game this year, but from their stats, this appears to be true. However, I don't think there is a lot of a distance between the top and the bottom of the MAC, overall, this year.

They didn't look like all that yesterday. Sure, they put up 30 but they didn't look unbeatable at all. 

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Toledo by 17. I've said all year I think they are in a league of their own. Nothing has happened to make me think otherwise.

After watching their battle with EMU, I saw a glimmer of light.  I know Eastern has a great defense this year, but after today, I’m likig ours a lot more...

• Like 1

Now,just win the East. That means you HAVE to beat OU,finally. The division games now become THE most important. Even if you don't beat Toledo,you hold serve at home against UB,OU and KS.U likely with those 6 wins you get the division. And,Miami is taking the hard swallow right now. So,you hang a second loss on OU,and that IS the key game,come up with a big effort against UB who is really solid,in good shape. UB has 2 losses. Miami has 2 losses. OU only 1 loss. If it comes down to KS.U last game,I think it ends like 2005. Just don't go to sleep on UB. We don't need no stinkin' tiebreakers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Now,just win the East. That means you HAVE to beat OU,finally. The division games now become THE most important. Even if you don't beat Toledo,you hold serve at home against UB,OU and KS.U likely with those 6 wins you get the division. And,Miami is taking the hard swallow right now. So,you hang a second loss on OU,and that IS the key game,come up with a big effort against UB who is really solid,in good shape. UB has 2 losses. Miami has 2 losses. OU only 1 loss. If it comes down to KS.U last game,I think it ends like 2005. Just don't go to sleep on UB. We don't need no stinkin' tiebreakers.

I don't want to see Ianellos smug face if they beat us. 

19 hours ago, Balsy said:

One thing I don't think we've talked enough about is how we've seen this team improve week-to-week. 

We have matched up against teams so differently from week to week it can be tough to tell. I think that our defensive has been the most noticabely improved from week to week, especially in terms of tackling. 

My biggest concern continues to be WR position. Apart from Coney and Wolfe we are not getting the consistency we need to get and there is not a ton of notable improvement.

Edited by zipsoutsider

10 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

We have matched up against teams so differently from week to week it can be tough to tell. I think that our defensive has been the most noticabely improved from week to week, especially in terms of tackling. 

My biggest concern continues to be WR position. Apart from Coney and Wolfe we are not getting the consistency we need to get and there is not a ton of notable improvement.

They have pretty much settled in with Wolf, Coney & Smith with a tight end & Young & Chapman giving spot subs & 4 wide packages, it does appear to be our weakest link, just my opinion when you run this style offense you need to have bubbles & stay passes to be an extension of your run game, you need WR’s that can block & run the ball, the good spread teams that is the run game to keep the chains moving, Chapman has shown only one to have good skills with ball but our receivers don’t block very well, I would like see more out of offense, it’s pretty predictable 

26 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

His reps are down & so are his receptions, he plays mostly the H back reps when 4 wide & we have had at least 1 tight end on the field most of the time, your statement is false, sorry

I'll keep a better eye out. I have to admit, I had a hard time telling who the receivers were this week with the quality of the broadcast. I'd give my left pinky for college football snap counts. I do remember a lot of 12 personnel with Smith and Wolf early. Maybe I'll go back and try to rewatch who was playing when it was 11. 

chap.jpgchap-2.jpg