Ulysees Gilbert Wants ZipsNation to Know...

Dr Z

OK, OK, OK. . .

Here you see the power of the pen.  A well written piece on a Zips player gets the blood flowing through the body of the fan reading it.  I lapped up those words like a  starving Amishman at a $2.99 buffet.  This is where the Beacon Journal has failed the University for years and years and countless years.  There are many stories to be told every season that could potentially pique the interest of the fabled Joe Akron but they are never told.  The University, the staff, the players and the local media outlets all need to come together and realize how important and integral in-depth coverage is to developing any type of fan base for our football product.  Same goes for basketball.  Build it and they will come has proven not to be the case.  Just win baby, has not filled the JAR.

You know, back when NASCAR was popular, the costs of being the title sponsor of were rising rapidly.  I remember watching a segment on Inside NASCAR about these costs and that the payout to the race teams to be, for example, the Robert Yates Racing #88 UPS Ford driven by Dale Jarrett were extremely high, but UPS needed to spend an amount equal to the sponsorship activating it.  United Parcel had to run an advertising campaign surrounding the sponsorship to get any mileage out of the first chunk of money spent.  Kinda the old "if a tree falls in the forest but no one is there to hear it" deal.  The potential for return on investment was much much larger than the NASCAR community.  Millions of dollars were spent on commercials like this, run on non-NASCAR broadcasts to catch people's attention.

It's an apples and oranges comparison, but who is activating the investments UA has made in their athletic program?  How much should UA spend?  How much coverage should the BJ provide?  They should have a vested interest in the success of the local University.  How much responsibility falls on us to demand it?

Can't wait for the next CK Zips article.  Love it.  Ready to buckle my chin strap and get after it.  Go Zips!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K92 said:

Here you see the power of the pen.  A well written piece on a Zips player gets the blood flowing through the body of the fan reading it.  I lapped up those words like a  starving Amishman at a $2.99 buffet.  This is where the Beacon Journal has failed the University for years and years and countless years.  There are many stories to be told every season that could potentially pique the interest of the fabled Joe Akron but they are never told.  The University, the staff, the players and the local media outlets all need to come together and realize how important and integral in-depth coverage is to developing any type of fan base for our football product.  Same goes for basketball.  Build it and they will come has proven not to be the case.  Just win baby, has not filled the JAR.

Starving Amishman - classic. Lets be clear here - what killed the chance for an attendance bump at the Info opening was shot down by the opioid crisis in Ohio (poor #11 and no one ready to step in at backup QB) and the 'I" dud one year later. Agreed another great article.     

Edited by UA1987

Pertaining to Gilbert's comment about the personnel grouping. Maybe it's an interpretation thing, but I see a lot of use from the tight end Mike Gesicki. He seems to be very involved in the play, so much so, that he may be a good read. He lines up off the line often, but also on. Lead blocks on the edge, pass protects in backfield, releases into passing routes too (48 receptions last year). 

In the USC game, Gesicki pass blocked, lead blocked, and run pass routes from this same personnel and formation. This play was a counter sweep right. 

run_right01.png

Games for review:

PSU vs USC   PSU vs Pitt

• 6 months later...

I was able to attend the "Talk with the Coach"  Friday at the JAR prior to the victory over Kent and ended up talking with UG for a bit.  I'm 6'2" (prob 6'3" with shoes) and found myself looking up to UG.  I'd have to say he's at least 6'4".  It prompted me to check the roster as I didn't remember him being listed that tall and it has him at 6'1".   Now 6'4" (or 5") is a fantastic size for an NFL linebacker - don't ya think?

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Gilbert Named to Bronko Nagurski Watch List

The Football Writers Association of America released its 2018 Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List today, selecting 97 defensive standouts from 61 schools in all 10 Division I FBS conferences on a roster that includes three returning players from last season's FWAA All-America team.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...