Game 4—@Troy Trojans

ZippyRulz

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/troy-university/2017/08/27/gameday-preview-troy-trojans-expect-hunt-2017-glory/587635001/

GOTTA SEE THIS ONE

Sept. 23 vs. Akron. Former Auburn coach Terry Bowden returns to the state for the first time since he was at North Alabama from 2009-11. He was 29-9 with three NCAA Division II playoff appearances with the Lions. Bowden led Auburn from 1993 until he resigned midway through the 1998 season and had a 47-17-1 record. The 1993 Tigers, who were on NCAA probation, went 11-0. Bowden was Samford’s head coach from 1987-92. Entering his 24th season as a college head coach, the 61-year-old Bowden is 164-99-2.

4. Loaded offense: The Trojans return just 97.3 percent of their all-purpose yards from last season and, despite three new starters on the offensive line, are looking to post big numbers. Troy averaged 429.6 yards per game last season, its best since a school-record 498.8 in 2012. “Offensively, I think we were pretty good last year, and we got better as the year went on,” coordinator Kenny Edenfield said. “I’m excited to see if we can take it to the next step and be one of the top offenses in the country.”

Feeble offense haunts Troy Trojans in loss at Boise State

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/troy-university/2017/09/02/feeble-offense-haunts-troy-trojans-loss-boise-state/629192001/

BOISE, Idaho — Troy mustered just 215 yards offense — its weakest effort under coach Neal Brown — and failed to score an offensive touchdown in Saturday's 24-13 season-opening loss at Boise State.  Quarterback Brandon Silvers was 17-for-33 passing for 139 yards and an interception, while running back Jordan Chunn churned out 41 yards on 11 carries.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Any word on Zach Guiser? I believe he was knocked out in the last game. The team took his injury, really hard. I am not sure he should come back after that injury. 

Bowden spoke of it quickly in the after game presser @ 1:53

We are very talented at the skill positions this year, but our offensive line has been shaky. We lost three starters from last year. Our two backs are opposites, but both very effective. Defensively we've played well but seem to have issues getting pressure on the quarterback st times. Special teams are hit and miss at this point. 

Should be a good crowd Saturday. It's military appreciation and educator appreciation day as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched half of the Troy/NMSU game and I can't say I was too impressed with them. A solid G5 team obviously, but nobody really stood out that worries me. I think their QB is a 6th year senior and they have a pretty good RB that isn't quite back yet from an ACL tear? They didn't exactly light up NMSU, who was picked to finish 10th preseason in the Sunbelt, even though I'll admit they didn't look bad at all. Them getting more points than ISU did against us doesn't seem right. Hopefully it does end up like the ULL game a few seasons ago.

• Thanks 1

• We have not been able to run when a team commits to stopping the run right now. Like I noted before, the team went from 11 to 10 personnel in the game when they decided to try to pass more. (My thought: I would come out early in 10 personnel this week)

• Guiser in concussion protocol. They challenged the Davis targeting penalty, but not even sure they can do it. 

• Nick Johns wants to play football. May not play, cut his foot on glass. He is working with TE's and WR. Playing on all special teams. 

• We have to get somebody through to get pressure on the QB. Sampson come in and gave some late last week. Davis, Ward or Moore need to step up.

• Tommy's Int was a play put in at half time that wasn't ripped enough. Tommy is not the reason we lost.

•Wolf should be ready to go this week.

• Nate Stewart got all the spring first team reps and got hurt. (side note: I got to see a the scrimmage before he got hurt, and he was catching everything thrown his way. You can't make a lot of observations from a scrimmage, but that did make an early impression on me)

• Like 1