Game 9—Buffalo Bulls

zipsoutsider

3 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

May the Redhawks and Bobkitties beat the hell out of each other in a rivalry game next Tuesday night. Go Redhawks ...Go Zips!

Cool thing is we don 't really have to root for one over the other like in other years where we absolutely needed a team to lose. But while two losses for the Bobkittens would nice especially since they still have Toledo. I'd still be OK with giving Miami three losses. We have to play them there and they finish with EMU and Ball St. 

What a fun game to attend!  As I sat there in the cold and rain, I doubted we would win.   The few of us left at the end were on our cold feet.  After the game I learned that I was sitting next to the father-in-law of the offensive line coach. (I had to think quickly to myself what's Milwee's job again?)  Then I realized the OC is different from the OLC.  Anyway, the funny part is that that father-in-law, himself a former coach, went ballistic when Woodson didn't take a knee on the second to last play.

The targeting penalty occurred right in front of me, and it looked like our player slipped or unintentionally hit the Buffalo guy's head.  However, I knew that flag was coming. Also, looked like we got a generous ball placement on that one pass for a first down which they reviewed.

I don't remember another close, back and forth game like that at Infocision.  Makes for a much better evening.

58 minutes ago, LZIp said:

3. Could have been better. I'd like Woody to execute better on what should be some automatic throws. He, and the offense, did come through in the clutch though. It seemed we either drove right down the field or had 3 and outs all day. No in between.

I initially thought the same thing, but for a while in Q3, he really wasn't getting the time he needed. Bowden also mentioned in one interview that he took a shot to the shoulder and was not the same for a couple of plays but seemed to bounce back. I do not think there is another MAC QB who can stay in the picket like him and make plays.

This definitely looked like the Western Michigan game all over again.   One team piled up a ton of yards, but didn't find enough points.  Both games also included a drive-stopping interception in the end zone.  Akron's defense does just enough to win.  

Whew.  That missed Buffalo field goal at the end now becomes the highlight of the year thus far.    Looked good part of the way, and then drifted.  The football Gods must like the Zips this year.  

• Haha 1

Congrats to the Zips. BIG win.

Woody had some throws I'm sure he wants back but he found a way to keep digging and came up clutch.

Congrats to him for:

Senior QB Thomas Woodson (Monroeville, Pa.) went 21-of-29 and threw for a season-high 291 yards and all three touchdowns.  He moved into second place on Akron's career passing chart and now has 6,834 yards (second to Charlie Frye).  Woodson is also second in career passing touchdowns with 53.

Edited by CDMac

So happy with the win.  Woodson sometimes looks slow and in trouble, but his arm is amazing.  All three TDs were zipped (no pun intended) and in tight coverage.  The offense did shine, but up until Deltron Sands became the man, it was the pass offense only.  I know we all hate the iCoach, but I'll take his play calling for the first three quarters over Mildew-ee.  Not once....NOT ONCE....did we try a run outside the tackles, and so many times early Thomas held the ball too long on the handoff.  Finally Deltron ran the ball with authority and the line blocked well for him.  But 3 yards rushing for the first 45 minutes of play?????  C'mon.  Great win though.  Go Zips!

36 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

So happy with the win.  Woodson sometimes looks slow and in trouble, but his arm is amazing.  All three TDs were zipped (no pun intended) and in tight coverage.  The offense did shine, but up until Deltron Sands became the man, it was the pass offense only.  I know we all hate the iCoach, but I'll take his play calling for the first three quarters over Mildew-ee.  Not once....NOT ONCE....did we try a run outside the tackles, and so many times early Thomas held the ball too long on the handoff.  Finally Deltron ran the ball with authority and the line blocked well for him.  But 3 yards rushing for the first 45 minutes of play?????  C'mon.  Great win though.  Go Zips!

Ianello is not the OC.

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

We have a few things impacting our run game right now:

1. Erickson moved to play center while Gautheny is out. We were very effective running to Erickson side before he assumed responsibilities as a center.

2. Injury to Newman Williams - we had some of our best runs with Williams and Booker as blockers. 

3. Edwards and Morgan are not skilled at making something out of nothing. Sands is better at this. I think that going down the stretch Sands might be the man. I hope, anyway.

4. We were not passing well enough to have tge pass open up the run.

5. We did try, very early to both run outside of tackles as well as het sweeps. They just were not there.

6. Today, we went up against one of the best LBs in the league (Hodge.)

These factors all add up and our run game has been stifled as a result. 

Edited by zipsoutsider
  • Thanks 1