Game 2—Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions

LZIp

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I wouldn't have a problem with that.  But if every other program in the lower part of D-1A is doing it to notch an easy win on their schedule, aren't we hurting ourselves if we don't do the same?

The prospect of starting most seasons with an 0-3 record would be a tough hole to climb out of.   If it weren't for that, I'd surely want to see a higher level competitor fill that spot.  

I think it would be a really, really good idea for G5 schools to change their way of thinking across the board.  As a fan of a G5 school, I tend to think that our fan base looks down on lower tier P5 schools that pad their record with cupcakes to get to .500 to grab that magical bowl invite, while at the same time, justifying our doing the same.  The difference is that those lower P5 schools have the money to buy a win.  We don't.  Make a list of the reasons for buying a game.  Make a list of reasons for scheduling a payday.  I think some of the reasons cancel each other out.  There are schools that only schedule payday games.  There are schools that only schedule cupcakes.  We do both and they seem to be at odds with each other.

If it is an accurate portrayal that our level of destitution is such that we can simply not survive without a payday game, we certainly can't afford to pay anyone anything to come here.  The price is much too large to buy a win.  If we are really that poor, we should schedule 2 payday games a year.  It could be a good thing.  It gives you 2 chances to pull off a miracle, which you and others put a lot of stock in.  What's the upside of getting a win vs. a low 1AA?  The general consensus of this board was that the beating we took from PSU was expected and there was little to learn about our team from the experience.  It also appears that the general consensus of this board is that the destruction of UAPB is expected and there will be little to learn about our team from the experience.  We are paying a helluva price to put a slash mark in the win column and wait until game 3 to know anything about our own team.

I think that it is past time for the leadership of the G5 conferences to start to think differently about some solutions to the predicament we are in playing in FBS.  I think there are some things that they should definitely try, but it would take courage.

I would say as a G5 program you play for two things - your conference championship, and a bowl berth.

If it is legal to play a cupcake, and the cupcake game counts towards bowl eligibility, you need to do it. That game automatically puts you 17% of the way to a bowl. Bowl berths are important.

The $600,000 price UNLV paid for their poison cupcake last weekend is way above the prevailing scale. Historically black colleges can be scheduled for under $400k.

The $1,000,000 the Zips got for Penn state pays the appearance fees for Iowa State and Pine Bluff. With some change to spare. That's a fair use of the money.

The beating incurred by playing two Top 10 P5 teams in September will kill most G5 teams. Playing a smaller program like Pine Bluff after a physical Big10 team is perfect.

For comparison, here are the "major" (non D1-AA) 2017 MAC opponents:

Akron

Penn State, Iowa State (Home), Troy

BG 

Michigan State, Northwestern, Middle Tennessee

Buffalo

Army, FAU, Minnesota

Kent

Clemson, Marshall, Louisville

Miami

Marshall, Cinci and Notre Dame

OU

Purdue, Kansas (Home), UMass

Ball State

Illinois, UAB, WKU

CMU

Syracuse, Kansas and Boston College

EMU

Army, Kentucky, Rutgers, Charlotte

Northern Illinois

Boston College, Nebraska, SDSU

Toledo

Nevada, Miami FL, Tulsa

WMU

@ USC, @ Mich State, Idaho

16 minutes ago, K92 said:

I understand "conventional wisdom".  Where has "conventional wisdom" gotten the Zips and the MAC?

I don't think the conventional wisdom regarding scheduling has been the Zips primary problem since they've been in the MAC.

I could write a book on all the problems...I probably already have...I just need to compile my posts beginning in 1997.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Lot 9 this weekend. Weather looks to be perfect. :cheers:

No.  Scheduling has not been the primary problem, but there is a primary problem that needs addressed.  It is the elephant in the room no one wants to touch with a 39 and a half foot pole.

Edited by K92
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Buffalo

Army, FAU, Minnesota

OU

Purdue, Kansas (Home), UMass

Ball State

Illinois, UAB, WKU

CMU

Syracuse, Kansas and Boston College

EMU

Army, Kentucky, Rutgers, Charlotte

These are all perfect and what we should shoot for. Take your payday but give yourself a puncher's chance at the least.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lilroodude said:

And no, I don't think we would be hurting ourselves to schedule an extra P5 pay game. In fact, I think we'd be helping ourselves in recruiting. Who would kids rather play: UAPB or a P5 school? I would hope the kids you are recruiting would like the chance to knock off Goliath as a David. Law of averages says if you play P5 teams enough, eventually you'll win one. 

I get it.  I argue the same point all the time when it pertains to basketball.  But G5 football schools don't have 95% of their other games still remaining to absorb the losses.  

One might also be able to argue that basketball parity from #1 to #100 is a different story than football is when comparing #1 to #100.  

Edited by skip-zip

18 hours ago, zippy5 said:

These are all perfect and what we should shoot for. Take your payday but give yourself a puncher's chance at the least.

The 2019 schedule, if it holds, will fit your mold exactly:

@Illinois

vs UAB

vs Troy

4th game will probably be a home vs FCS.

If they're going to schedule a FCS team, at least schedule a program that is decent. Pine Bluff has had one good year in the last 10 since Coleman began coaching them and is 10-35 in the last 5+. I have no interest in attending this game. It does nothing for the Zips. Also, why is this game at 6:30 and competing with the Ohio State-Oklahoma game? ESPN3 can't be that demanding about this game. Good luck drawing a crowd for this one. Probably see ya next week against Iowa State.

8 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I would argue there's nothing to gain from playing a good 1-AA team. Either don't schedule them at all or schedule the APBs of the world that is (should be) a sure win. The JMUs of the world can beat us, and that is not worth the risk

Wasn't it JMU that almost beat us in what was it...Bowden's first or 2nd year here?

So...back to the game. 

Game Day Timeline

7 AM                   Parking lots 6, 8, 9, 10, and 72 open for tailgating. 

All other lots will open four hours prior to kickoff.

9 AM                   Main Ticket Office (near Gate 1, Southwest corner) opens.

Noon                   Team Shop opens at the stadium.

2 PM                   Gates to Touchdown Music Fest open.

Enter on Union Street side.

Team Shop trailer opens at Touchdown Music Fest.

Clevelander Ray Flanagan takes the 330 Roadshow stage.

2:30 PM              Pay parking lots open.

3 PM                   Touchdown Music Fest begins with Nikki Lane.

4:15 PM              Ohio’s Pride– The UA Marching Band performs at the Touchdown Music Fest.

4:30 PM              Zips’ Football team arrival at the corner of Exchange and Union (Lot 6)

ZipsFest opens inside Stile Athletics Field House.

4:45 PM              J.D. McPherson takes the stage at the Touchdown Music Fest.

5 PM                   House of LaRose Lobby opens.

5:30 PM              Stadium gates open.

Ticket windows at each gate open.

6:30 PM              Kickoff vs. Arkansas Pine Bluff

Halftime              Meet-and-Greet with J.D. McPherson & Nikki Lane [Gate 4]

Postgame          Autograph session with four Zips [north endzone concourse]

Children welcomed to play on the field [after cooling off period].

Concessions:    A new food option at games this year is the Old Carolina True Q Zone,

located on the North Endzone Concourse.