Game 2—Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions

LZIp

10 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Talent differences aside, does it look like we have improved in any way from last week? I'm not sure we can say that we have.

I don't think you can really tell because we have gone from one end of the talent extreme to the other.

I don't see the alleged "noodle arm" that got some so upset last week, though. I see issues with receivers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I don't think you can really tell because we have gone from one end of the talent extreme to the other.

I don't see the alleged "noodle arm" that got some so upset last week, though. I see issues with receivers.

this. /thread. all we need to say about this game. hopefully some back ups get some experience in the 2nd half and impress.

So far in the first 2 games the following true freshman have gotten playing time: Meeks, Williams, Burkhart, Brimage, and Sampson. Seems like more than freshman than usual. I like how Sampson looked on that series. Came away with the sack.

edit: add Kobie Booker to the list.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LZIp said:

So far in the first 2 games the following true freshman have gotten playing time: Meeks, Williams, Burkhart, Brimage, and Sampson. Seems like more than freshman than usual. I like how Sampson looked on that series. Came away with the sack.

edit: add Kobie Booker to the list.

I also liked seeing Deltron Sands have a good series. He should be getting looks as the #2 guy.

It was also nice to see Reinke have a solid game. He has improved and can make a difference for us. 

Brandon Junk got called for too many penalties. We are in trouble at tight end. Who is the next man up at TE?

Also of note: Zach Gingrich kicked an extra point in the second half, his first score as a college athlete, and long snapper Hayden Grover snapped on an extra point in the second half. Chuck Turfe carried the ball for 7 yards on what I think was his first college carry, at the end of the game.

Hard to gauge the team based on this game. We out-talented them the same way PSU out-talented us. Some random observations:

• Star of the game was either Warren Ball or the referee. She was nice to look at and in great form, so to speak. I give the nod to Ball. She hurt her chances by taking too long to sort out penalties
  • Junk at TE was a disaster. Bowden got so mad you could see him pull Junk and gave the spot to Meeks, a true freshman. Good call on Terry's part. Let the frosh run with it until he proves he can't handle it. Until then it should be his spot
  • Our receiving is crying for the return of Wolfe. Too many mistakes and drops
  • Woody showed his arm tonight and he had all the strength we need. 
  • The OL was good but considering the opponent it means nothing. 
  • The DL improved. Boxen and Reinke look to be the real deal. Lots of guys got PT which bodes well for the future
  • Cato appears to be a solid #2 at QB. I hope he gets more and more reps. At some point in the season we will need him
  • Not sold on our DB's. They look average at best. Against ISU they will have their hands full.
  • Like 1

One final point. Tell the Zips to tuck in those damn gold undershirts. The team looked sloppy with a third of the players having a foot of shirt hanging out against their navy blues jerseys and pants. Against a classy all navy uni it looked bush league.

8 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Hard to gauge the team based on this game. We out-talented them the same way PSU out-talented us.

In these kinds of games, the only things you can really accurately assess are your OWN deficiencies.  Any successes can too easily be attributed to your opponent not being able to physically make plays, compared to all future opponents.  

So a couple of things stood out for me.

1) The missed executions in the passing game, whether it was on Tommy or the Receivers.  

2) On defense, I felt like when we were straight-up one-on-one, OL vs. DL in pass rush situations, they blocked us too successfully.   

42 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I noticed this as well.  Our pass rush was pretty weak.

I did think Brian Reinke looked good.

We did have true freshmen in the game fairly early, so I don't feel as strongly about this but I also felt like the OL had more trouble than they should have.

I am troubled that our receivers had difficulty getting open and at times they broke their routes. I would like to have seen Dre Williams and Nate Stewart. Young and Smith have never demonstrated consistency and Smith had too many penalties.

Pretty good student attendance at this game. As some have said some true freshman are playing. Brimage ought to keep his head in the game, however, at least when the defense is on the field. I saw Boxen calling him in and DeAndre was nowhere to be found till it was very late on the play clock. That's what causes penalties.On the other hand, Davis had a nice game at D/E and Warren Ball is a joy to watch.     

Edited by UA1987
    • Like 1