2017 NCAA D1 Mens Soccer Rankings

Sure, but IMO it's silly, especially if the goal is to use results to rank teams. A team that advances on PKs in its conference tournament should be more highly rated for the NCAA tournament than a team that fails to advance on PKs in its conf tournament.

6 hours ago, SBZipfan said:

Sure, but IMO it's silly, especially if the goal is to use results to rank teams. A team that advances on PKs in its conference tournament should be more highly rated for the NCAA tournament than a team that fails to advance on PKs in its conf tournament.

Contributions you have made to numerous soccer forums are respected and appreciated.

I do not intend to be condescending or pedantic.  I only wish to communicate.

NCAA must become more like FIFA rather than less. 

If NCAA soccer wishes to remain relevant to the US Soccer Big Picture, they must adopt FIFA rules.  

Those rules include draws being scored for one point. 

In a tournament setting, one side must advance (obviously).

The time honored, if odious, method to determine who advances is PKs.

The advancing side gains only the one point for the draw, because match was not decided during play.

RPI is an American departure from FIFA rules, but FIFA has similar mechanisms to seed tournaments.

A neutral site draw is not worth as much as a neutral site win.  Not in old fashioned FIFA scoring.  Not in RPI.

While the overall RPI changed during that same time, the relationship between Indiana and Wisconsin did NOT change after their match last week in BiG Final.

In relation to each other, how these two sides were before the match remained unchanged after the match.

Nothing was decided in that draw.  RPI did not tilt one way or another.

I seems to me that you are advocating weighting RPI differently, awarding a greater bonus to teams that advance via PKs.

That is a worthy discussion.

But bear in mind that the more you mess with the bonus' and penalties in RPI, the further from FIFA tournament scoring we get.

I fervently believe  that making NCAA soccer (almost) exactly like FIFA soccer is the only way collegiate soccer will increase its influence.

No side should move up in ranking (or seeding) by advancing via PKs.

Someone had to be BiG Tourney Champ.

Had Wisconsin won the BiG Final, they would have been seeded higher. 

But that did not happen.  It was a draw.

fknbuflobo, I certainly appreciate your point of view, which comes from a big-picture vantage point of the role of college soccer in US soccer, and of US soccer in world soccer. My perspective is different; I'm more of a general fan of second-tier (in terms of overall popularity) college sports, including hockey and lacrosse as well as soccer. So when soccer does something different than these other sports, that's what stands out to me.

One thing I really appreciate about college soccer is the more liberal substitution rules, which give more players time on the field. I'd hate to see that change. (Other things, like different treatment of the clock, does not make a lot of sense to me.)

Anyway, rankings are all moot now! 

And TDS is now treating the Indiana-Wisconsin game as a draw when quoting the two teams' records, so all of this appears to have been based on a mistake at TDS, now corrected ...

Edited by SBZipfan
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Whether anyone agrees or not, NCAA rule is that a game that goes to PKs is recorded as a tie unless it is the National Championship game. 

TDS and others should reflect records per the NCAA rules for consistency. 

On 11/23/2017 at 1:10 AM, SBZipfan said:

fknbuflobo, I certainly appreciate your point of view, which comes from a big-picture vantage point of the role of college soccer in US soccer, and of US soccer in world soccer. My perspective is different; I'm more of a general fan of second-tier (in terms of overall popularity) college sports, including hockey and lacrosse as well as soccer. So when soccer does something different than these other sports, that's what stands out to me.

One thing I really appreciate about college soccer is the more liberal substitution rules, which give more players time on the field. I'd hate to see that change.

The one thing I would like to see change about the NCAA sub rule is that once a player has been on the field and taken out, that player should not be allowed to return. Allow all the subs you want up to the number available on the bench, but not allow them to exit and re-enter. College baseball does this just like pro baseball. Why can’t collegiate soccer at least do that. More players can be allowed to play, but like in the pros, the teams/players with better fitness have the advantage that they should. 

• Like 3