Week 2, United Soccer Coaches

University of Akron at #34

Top 5:

1 Stanford University

2 Wake Forest University

3 Clemson University

4 Indiana University

5 University Of Maryland

Say WHAT?  This isn't the NSCAA poll, is it??  Weren't we #16/24 before beating the #10 team?  What gives?

3 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Say WHAT?  This isn't the NSCAA poll, is it??  Weren't we #16/24 before beating the #10 team?  What gives?

I don't understand what this poll is vs what was the NSCAA poll. I agree that it doesn't make sense to defeat the previous week's #10 team, but fall 10 spots from 24 to 34. Is this poll credible?

College Soccer News, for what it's worth has us #26 this week after a 1-2 start.  But we were #20 the week before, and dropped after beating Washinton, and they dropped from #10 to #13!!!!!

Edited by ZipsVoice
Added content.

2 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I don't understand what this poll is vs what was the NSCAA poll. I agree that it doesn't make sense to defeat the previous week's #10 team, but fall 10 spots from 24 to 34. Is this poll credible?

My understanding....the NSCAA poll no longer exists.  It has been replaced by the United Soccer coaches poll.

Akron was #24 last week based on UA having played one game against Utah Valley.(they dropped from 16 in the initial ranking to 24)

The poll comes out Tuesday around noon.  However, it does not include games played on Monday of the same week.

So, Akron's rating  this week factors in their loss at Denver and the win over Washington.  Ranking is also impacted by Utah Valley losing their 2nd game to Cal State Northridge and Denver losing their next game at home to Furman.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TennZip said:

My understanding....the NSCAA poll no longer exists.  It has been replaced by the United Soccer coaches poll.

Akron was #24 last week based on UA having played one game against Utah Valley.(they dropped from 16 in the initial ranking to 24)

The poll comes out Tuesday around noon.  However, it does not include games played on Monday of the same week.

So, Akron's rating  this week factors in their loss at Denver and the win over Washington.  Ranking is also impacted by Utah Valley losing their 2nd game to Cal State Northridge and Denver losing their next game at home to Furman.

Thanks TennZip. Even though I was there, I keep forgetting the Zips played Denver on a Monday and that could not be factored into the first week's rankings. It's too early in the season anyway to put much stock in these polls. Lots of soccer ahead of all these teams. I will say that neither UVU nor Denver impressed me. Not surprised at their losses, and unfortunately, I don't think either will help us with RPI later.

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index.php/polls/csn-top-30-poll/1082-college-soccer-news-top-30-national-poll-week-ending-september-10-2017

College soccer news has Western Michigan at #18 ; West Virginia at #19 and Akron at #25

(and their poll is very suspect as they left Stanford at #1....after Stanford lost 2-0 to Tulsa)

College Soccer News poll - Zips at 25 - up from 26...

Seattle jumped from 30 to 24, UMass Lowell dropped to 23.  Western Michigan 19th, West Virginia went from No rating to 18th.  Duke jumps to 16th from 30th.  Notre Dame is at 8th and Michigan State is #9.  Top 5 are:

1 - Stanford

2 - Maryland

3 - Indiana

4 - Wake Forrest

5 - Clemson

3 hours ago, chris said:

Three MAC teams are ranked higher than the Zips? :unsure2:

This poll is a joke at this point in the season. The Zips continue to fall because our opponents have fallen. meanwhile BUGS, WMU, and WVU get a higher ranking by defeating or tying teams who aren't even mentioned in this poll. :beam:

Edited by Zip_ME87

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

Maybe we are no longer good enough to rule the MAC.

Let the matches be played. Some coaches poll certainly isn't going to decide that.

1 hour ago, Zip_ME87 said:

According to this, WMU and WVU are ahead of Akron in RPI rank. BUGS is not.

41 WMU

61 WVU

98 Akron

119 BUGS

We will know a lot more about BUGS....after the next 10  days

they play at Michigan State wed. night

they play the fighting irish in south bend on the 19th

and finally ,the falcons play the suckeyes in Columbus on the 22nd

WMU....i will cut them some slack...they have a 3-2 win at Butler when Butler was #15 in the country

they also have  a 0-0 tie with Eastern Illinois

Edited by TennZip

2 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

This poll is a joke at this point in the season. The Zips continue to fall because our opponents have fallen. meanwhile BUGS, WMU, and WVU get a higher ranking by defeating or tying teams who aren't even mentioned in this poll. :beam:

exactly....you said you were not impressed by Denver.....and they lost last weekend to cal irvine and cal northridge

washington lost on sunday to mercer (GA)

Jared always puts together a great schedule....but sometimes....the opponents have down years (Georgetown was an example from last year's schedule)

2 hours ago, TennZip said:

exactly....you said you were not impressed by Denver.....and they lost last weekend to cal irvine and cal northridge

washington lost on sunday to mercer (GA)

Jared always puts together a great schedule....but sometimes....the opponents have down years (Georgetown was an example from last year's schedule)

I was not impressed by Denver or UVU, and we have a long way to go to prove our prowess. I should have been more clear that that poll is suspect because of the teams that are not on it as much as the seemingly strange positions of those that are.

Changed since my earlier posting

4 Notre Dame

8 Michigan State

30 WMU

35 Utah Valley

41 E Illinois

42 Butler

54 Syracuse

62 SIUE

67 WVU

82 St Louis

85 Pitt

91 Denver

102 Washington

103 Akron

113 Cleveland St

125 Bowling Green

129 UMass Lowell

145 NIU

150 St Mary's

182 Marshall

200 UCSB

UVU better than I thought, in RPI at least. UCSB and others hurt us as much as Notre Dame and Mich St could help. Ugh.