Zips in Soccer Heaven (i.e., UCSantaBarbara...)

UCSB lost their leading returning scorer to an ACL tear on the first day of practice, and now their season is slowly leaking away -- in the first week of September.  They lost an exhibition to D-2 Westmont (rivals from up the street) and then suffered ties to St Mary's and Siena before losing twice last weekend at San Diego and San Diego State.  So, this is surely a Must Win for the Gauchos and their loco fans.

Who's going to be there?  There is a Live Stream from the Big West Conference Network.  Here's the story from GauchoLand.   http://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-soccer/2017-18/releases/20170907lp0vwu

Calling Big Mike!  Shucks -- what happened to our NCAA Champs moji?

College soccer news...gives the zips some press

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index.php/articles/1081-things-are-beginning-to-heat-up-coast-to-coast-with-a-lot-of-momentum-building-contests-on-tap-this-weekend

Akron (1-2-0) vs. UCSB ( 0-2-2) – Saturday - Akron opened the season with 1-0 season losses on the road to Utah Valley and Denver. However, they returned to the friendly confines of FirstEnergy Stadium and rebounded by defeating highly regarded Washington 2-0.  

The return of redshirt senior forward Sam Gainford to the lineup in the contest with Washington helped to add additional punch to an Akron attack that didn’t score during their first two losses. Gainford joins fellow senior Stuart Holthusen to give the Zips a potent combination up-top. 

Akron picks up some more frequent flyer points with a trip to Santa Barbara where they will tangle with a UCSB squad that has had problems of their own with an offense that has produced only one goal in four games.  Nonetheless look for veteran Gaucho head coach Tim Vom Steeg to eventually sort it out and for the UCSB offense to get back in gear as the season progresses. 

15 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

UCSB lost their leading returning scorer to an ACL tear on the first day of practice, and now their season is slowly leaking away -- in the first week of September.  They lost an exhibition to D-2 Westmont (rivals from up the street) and then suffered ties to St Mary's and Siena before losing twice last weekend at San Diego and San Diego State.  So, this is surely a Must Win for the Gauchos and their loco fans.

Who's going to be there?  There is a Live Stream from the Big West Conference Network.  Here's the story from GauchoLand.   http://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-soccer/2017-18/releases/20170907lp0vwu

Calling Big Mike!  Shucks -- what happened to our NCAA Champs moji?

Will this be a free stream?

• Thanks 1

Hello fellow Zips fans!

I am an Akron native (OK actually Mogadore) who has been living in Santa Barbara for the past 30+ years. I am generally just a casual soccer fan, but I was thrilled to be in the stands in Harder Stadium in 2010 when the Zips won it all! I've also attended all the UCSB-Akron games that have been played out here since then.

And I will be back there tomorrow night in my Zips T-shirt to cheer them on! There is usually a small group of Akron fans, & I hope to meet up with them.

Crowd will be small because UCSB classes have not started yet. The UCSB team has a good local non-student following though, so the place won't be empty.

Both teams need the win! Should be a good game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MarkS said:

Hello fellow Zips fans!

I am an Akron native (OK actually Mogadore) who has been living in Santa Barbara for the past 30+ years. I am generally just a casual soccer fan, but I was thrilled to be in the stands in Harder Stadium in 2010 when the Zips won it all! I've also attended all the UCSB-Akron games that have been played out here since then.

And I will be back there tomorrow night in my Zips T-shirt to cheer them on! There is usually a small group of Akron fans, & I hope to meet up with them.

Crowd will be small because UCSB classes have not started yet. The UCSB team has a good local non-student following though, so the place won't be empty.

Both teams need the win! Should be a good game.

Mark, I would be in the Harder stands with you, but the cost of hotels in SB has absolutely gone THROUGH THE ROOF!  And suddenly.  I've been there three times since 2010 and have always found a room around $100-125/night.  Now it's basically impossible to find anything under $200 (+).  I will be back next year for Big West women's soccer when the Rainbow Wahine play @UCSB and Cal Poly again.  Maybe we can get together to go wining in Santa Ynez.  I hope and expect the Zips and Gauchos to continue the series, and am still trying to get some momentum for my idea of the Tire-Lager Trophy between the teams, sponsored by the Firestone Walker Brewing Co.  My friend, a winemaker in Los Olivos sees old Brooks Firestone and his kids and grandkids around town.  Gotta get that moving!!  :cheers:

Hi guys!  In West Virginia on a golf trip, and following Zips football win over Ark - PB and now soccer first half in SB...thrilled with score at half, on stat tracker...MARCEL!!!  keep it up Zips!!  And hopefully my play on the course continues to be productive.  Ryder cup format, 16 guys, North vs. South...maybe too much Titos tonight, I don't know...

Great win by the Zips in SB!

Akron fan contingent was small: me & and a U.A. alum who lives in Los Angeles (& who was also at the 2 previous Zips @ Gauchos games), and family of Niko De Vera (dad from Portland & aunts & cousins from Los Angeles & San Diego). We needed you there Z.I.P.!

From my vantage point, Zips dominated play most of the match. All goals (except the PK) were scored at the far end from where we were sitting, so I did not get a good look at any of them :(

Zips look to me like a team that could put together a strong season.

Here's the replay:

http://bigwest.sidearmstreaming.com/watch/?Archive=112

EDIT: link now dead, apparently these are temporary

Edited by MarkS
link died
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@MarkS ... Happy you and a few others were there to support our team. They deserve the support. This one wasn't to be for me, but I plan to be in St Louis next Saturday night. Thanks for the link to the replay. I've not been feeling well lately and could not stay up late (Eastern Time) for the match. Very happy to read recounts this morning and to watch excerpts from that link.

Really happy for Marcel Zajac...that first goal was on heckuva a shot. WOW. I remember Marcel going down in the match at home vs UW, but he looked well and gave me a thumbs up that he was okay after the match. Great team effort by all of our Zips on this one, watching some of the replay. Can't wait to see them next weekend and when they get back home.

GO ZIPS!!!

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Well, I got no pic on the usually reliable Big West broadcast.  BUT,  the gamecast tells me Zajac scored 7 minutes in for a quick advantage.  Very nice!

As it ended up, the video and audio returned just before halftime, and stayed up for the remainder of the game.  The UCSB announcing team were excellent, especially the color guy with the British accent!  They knew what they were talking about -- and gave Akron players credit for being top flight.