What Zips Newcomer Would You Like to See More?

Dr Z

Newcomer  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With two uncompetitive games, the coaching staff has been able to get a look at a lot of players that weren't here last year. Who has impressed you? Who do you think has potential to help the Zips win games in the MAC? What did ZN observe? Please discuss. 

I voted Nate Stewart but I would have voted for Burkhart and Williams also if more voting for more than one was an option.  We need to get as much experience as possible for the young receivers because we pretty much lose everybody after this season.  The Kwadster will be back but that's it.

I voted, Sampson. He had a real nice get off late in the game playing defensive end Saturday. 

You can watch the replay here. Start with 11 minutes left in the game and watch him dominate the right tackle. 

I can see his speed around the edge with a DB blitzing the gap creating disruption in situations. 

He has a good motor, and doesn't quit on plays either. 

I don't know I can pick one but I'll give my opinion on a couple things I feel to be true,

Meeks, blocking well & seems big & strong, want to see him get targeted to see what his ball skills are

Burkhart, in watching him you can see his explosiveness, the 4.4 speed & 39" vertical which separates you from the defense, we have several guys out there that are like 4.7 guys & cant create separation, plus pretty good size so with him & Wolf we can push the back end of the defense back by having deep threats which also helps the run game

Sampson, wish he was a little bigger but you could see his explosiveness off the ball & his motor while he was out there

That's a loaded question...

Williams, Stewart, and Burkhart just because we need help at WR.

Sands because he looks good and potentially better than Edwards. I actually assume he is, but am surprised by him being #4 on the depth chart.

Sampson because we need better/more of a pass rush.

Its good to have so many younger players showing potential.

Edited by LZIp

33 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

I like Sampson rushing the passer and feel he can make a huge impact off the edge.  However, I wonder with the graduations at WR this year if he could pull a "Jerome Lane" and move from DL to WR his sophomore year?

Hopefully it will not be needed. We have some guys who look like they could be the future at the position in Williams, Burkhart, Stewart, and McGriff (sitting out). MTB should also be back for his 6th year. Kwad Smith doesn't look like he'll ever round into a good overall WR, but he still has his use as a deep threat.

Edited by LZIp

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Hopefully it will not be needed. We have some guys who look like they could be the future at the position in Williams, Burkhart, Stewart, and McGriff (sitting out). MTB should also be back for his 6th year. Kwad Smith doesn't look like he'll ever round into a good overall WR, but he still has his use as a deep threat.

We've also got East's Daishawn Brimage coming in next year who's 6-1, 200 & has fantastic hands, as well as Ellet's Marquise Bridges (5-10, 180) who's speed is jaw-dropping.  I'm eager to see how his game translates & watch our coaching staff try various ways of getting the ball in his hands.  -He was a RB in high school but I'm betting they attempt to use him in the slot next year.

19 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

We've also got East's Daishawn Brimage coming in next year who's 6-1, 200 & has fantastic hands, as well as Ellet's Marquise Bridges (5-10, 180) who's speed is jaw-dropping.  I'm eager to see how his game translates & watch our coaching staff try various ways of getting the ball in his hands.  -He was a RB in high school but I'm betting they attempt to use him in the slot next year.

I am not counting on any nonqualifer's personally although Bridges does intrigue me, but I have been following East and Brimage just looks like a man among boys. Storied Rivals (@StoriedRivals on twitter) has been dropping lengthy highlight videos in middle of the week after their most recent games for anyone who wants to follow.

• Like 1

ziplion_02.jpg

Newcomers, Justin Sampson and DeAndre Brimage lineup up before Justin's first sack . — Photo by Dr Z

ziplion_03.jpg

Newcomer, Dustin Burkhart makes his first reception as a Zip. — Photo by Dr Z

ziplion_04.jpg

Newcomer, Deltron Sands scored his first touchdown as a Zip. — Photo by Dr Z

ziplion_05.jpg

Newcomer, Robbie Kelley talks to offensive coordinator AJ Milwee. — Photo by Dr Z

ziplion_06.jpg

Newcomer, Kato Nelson runs for positive yardage with the some assistance from newcomer Dylan Meeks. — Photo by Dr Z

ziplion_07.jpg

Newcomer, Andre Williams lines up in the slot. — Photo by Dr Z

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

During the weekly press conference, Bowden mentioned that Nate Stewart has been injured, which explains why we haven't seen him.

Can you share this? This is something the University should do anyways..... And for the record, we did see Stewart some, at least against PSU.

edit: Nevermind. I see it in the ISU game thread.

Edited by LZIp

I voted for Williams because we need some downfield plays from our WR's. If Burkhart and his 40-inch vertical give us that threat, then by all means let's see more of him.

Our edge rush has also been "meh." If Sampson can put some heat on the opposing QB, get him some reps.

This is week #3. There really hasn't been any reason for Bowden to open up the playbook in week's #1 or #2. Incumbent players have had their fair chance to prove they should be starting.

I expect to see some new wrinkles in the Zips offense and defense this week. And, some new, younger faces getting more PT too.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I voted for Williams because we need some downfield plays from our WR's. If Burkhart and his 40-inch vertical give us that threat, then by all means let's see more of him.

Our edge rush has also been "meh." If Sampson can put some heat on the opposing QB, get him some reps.

This is week #3. There really hasn't been any reason for Bowden to open up the playbook in week's #1 or #2. Incumbent players have had their fair chance to prove they should be starting.

I expect to see some new wrinkles in the Zips offense and defense this week. And, some new, younger faces getting more PT too.

I think he said Sampson saw about 15 reps last week.

• 1 month later...