Three For Thursday [Cyclones @Zips]

Dr Z

Cyclones  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Zips
    • Cyclones by 10 or less
    • Cyclones by 11 or more
  2. 2. How many carries will Warren Ball have?

3. 3. How many yards will Jacob Park throw for?

This poll is closed to new votes

UNI's leading rusher had only 12 attempts (7.3 yds per carry) against the Cyclones in their first game. I would guess because UNI was down double digits early and passed (38 attempts). Iowa's leading rusher had 28 carries (4.2 yds per carry) against the Cyclones in their second game. He had one carry in OT. Iowa rushed for 164 yards in the game, and only averaged 4 yards a carry, so the Cyclones run defense seems to be somewhat sufficient, by only looking at stats. Maybe @Cykron can comment on the run D. 

I'm hoping to see Warren get 27+ carries, and Sands and Van add in another dozen or so. 

I went with iowa state by plus 11. I am not sold on our WR group and I am also not sold on our ability to run block. If we can't throw it, we surely can't drive people off the ball in the running game and vice versa. That sounds like a bad combo to me. I hope I am wrong. 

I really want want to see how our secondary matches up as well. This game should give us a pretty good indicator of where we are from a talent level standpoint. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

I would like to see us get Warren Ball in open field with some screens & bubbles (hopefully he can catch) & use some of the bigger receivers for blocking 

I am so with you on this one. I am not sure he needs the blocking once he hits the open field. I feel like this will make our offense more potent and really help free up our younger receivers. 

I voted ISU +11 also.  Hard to get a feel for much out of the first 2 games, but the offensive line was having trouble opening holes for Ball versus UAPB.  Warren was getting his yards on his own.  This will be much tougher against ISU.

On the other hand, Woodson had all day to throw last week.  He could sit in the pocket and go through as many progressions as there were receivers running patterns.  Unfortunately, our wrs weren't getting a lot of separation.  Perhaps we have come up with some different strategies for the passing game this week.  If I am the Cyclones, I stack the box to stop Ball and dare the Zips to beat you with the passing game.

Defensively?  Who knows?  A good team did anything they wanted and a bad team couldn't do anything against the Zips.  I hope the Cyclones offense is a helluva lot closer to the Golden Lions than the Nittany Lions or it's gonna be a long day.

Definitely a report card game.

• Like 2

I went ISU +11 also, and I think Park will have a lot of yards throwing against us.  I think WB will carry he workload, but then when we get behind we'll throw and down will come Warren's carries.  So  we need to throw to him as said above...but Park will throw for 350, and ISU wins 28-17...

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

UNI's leading rusher had only 12 attempts (7.3 yds per carry) against the Cyclones in their first game. I would guess because UNI was down double digits early and passed (38 attempts). Iowa's leading rusher had 28 carries (4.2 yds per carry) against the Cyclones in their second game. He had one carry in OT. Iowa rushed for 164 yards in the game, and only averaged 4 yards a carry, so the Cyclones run defense seems to be somewhat sufficient, by only looking at stats. Maybe @Cykron can comment on the run D. 

I'm hoping to see Warren get 27+ carries, and Sands and Van add in another dozen or so. 

We are not a great tackling team.  We had all kinds of guys slapping at Wadley last week instead of wrapping him up.  However, give Wadley credit.  He brought some great moves.  I would expect Ball to have a similar game.  Hope Ball gets slippery fingers.  We haven't caused a fumble turnover yet this season.  And I rarely saw anyone trying to rip the ball out (which is okay if they are wrapping up the ballcarrier, but we haven't been doing that either).  

Here is the x-factor.  #5 Kamari Cotton-Moya, our starting Strong Safety.  He is an incredibly hard hitter, but went out with a elbow injury last week and never returned.  I contend that Wadley wouldn't have scored his last touchdown if Cotton-Moya had been in there.  #4 Evrett Edwards is okay, but there is a dropoff.  Edwards danced with Wadley as he scored his last TD.  

Here is the y-factor.  #42 Marcel Spears.  Hardly any of us even knew his name before the season.  He had 17 tackles last week.  He bailed out a lot of teammates who missed tackles.  

Here is the z-factor.  #7 Joel Lanning will be playing only his third game ever on defense this week.  He started last season as a QB.  Seriously.  In the next to last game last season, he ran for 5 TDS . . . and then didn't play the following week!  I'm serious.  He is explosive in short yardage situations (the "Joel-dozer"), but he doesn't just lumber forward.  He hits holes and explodes to the end zone.  So far, he hasn't done much on defense to draw my attention, other than a nice QB hurry against UNI that led to an INT and our first TD.

• Thanks 1

On the other hand, our RB David Montgomery has caused 28 missed tackles in two games!  Hope your tacklers brought extra jocks because some guys are going to be faked out of them.  And others will need extra underwear because he knocks the crap out of would-be tacklers.  He trucked pre-season All-American Josey Jewell on one play last week.  

Iowa State will win by more than 11.

Warren Ball will have lots of carries and gain lots of yards, but will also have at least one big fumble in the red zone.  

Jacob Park is going to eat up your CBs.  When they crowd our WRs, they will get beaten badly.  We are finally going to play a game in which we look like we  have a Big 12 air raid offense.

I just don't think Akron's defense is going to be good enough to get stops.Offensively we don't have the perimeter weapons that we did last season. Woodson will have to be nearly perfect squeezing precision passes in tight windows for the Zips to have any chance. I expect Akron to get down early and forced to abandon the run.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I just don't think Akron's defense is going to be good enough to get stops.Offensively we don't have the perimeter weapons that we did last season. Woodson will have to be nearly perfect squeezing precision passes in tight windows for the Zips to have any chance. I expect Akron to get down early and forced to abandon the run.

My concern isn't Woodson, it's the receivers. Get Ball into open field with halfback screens and the halfback pass that the Steelers used to throw to Willie Parker.

Edited by zipsoutsider

21 hours ago, Cykron said:

Iowa State will win by more than 11.

Warren Ball will have lots of carries and gain lots of yards, but will also have at least one big fumble in the red zone.  

Jacob Park is going to eat up your CBs.  When they crowd our WRs, they will get beaten badly.  We are finally going to play a game in which we look like we  have a Big 12 air raid offense.

Do "Big 12 Air Raid offenses" usually look like air raid offenses out of conference or just against Big 12 defenses? ;)

20 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

My concern isn't Woodson, it's the receivers. Get Ball into open field with halfback screens and the halfback pass that the Steelers used to throw to Willie Parker.

My concern necessarily isn't Woodson neither. My concern is whether the Zips o-line can protect Woodson well enough and if Zips receivers can create enough separation so that Woodson doesn't have to force every pass into tight coverage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K92 said:

How do "Read One and Run offenses" fare against "Big XII defenses"?

Al lot depends on defensive lines and linebackers.  Good pressure on QBs certainly messes with the air raid.  It also helps to have LBs who cover well in the flats and over the middle.  I expect us to try to focus on our tall WRs against your CBs.  Look for lots of 3 receivers on one side.  Our WRs are pretty good at blocking and reading blocks.  I hope to see Deshaunte Jones (from Cincinnati) have a big game for the 60+ of his family and friends coming.  He is one of the smartest receivers I've ever seen.  Great route running and uses blocks downfield very well.