This team

Buckzip

17 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I had this team starting 1-3 and I'm feeling very confident in that prediction. We lost a lot of talent from what wasn't a great team to start with. I've unfairly been labeled a pessimist by this board for sharing my candid opinion on Bowden and the state of our football program. I lost all faith in Bowden after our back-to-back-to-back losses to Buffalo, Toledo, and Bowling Green last season. Losing to Toledo wasn't bad, losing to them by 31 at home was. 

Who do you bring in to replace Bowden? That's not our problem, it's Larry Williams and his staff concern. Larry Williams made a slam dunk hire in Groce. I trust his judgement in bringing in someone whose better than Bowden.

Spot on!

On 9/16/2017 at 10:08 PM, zipsoutsider said:

Alex Ramart is the next Zips starting QB. Our problem is not a qb problem. 

This is exactly who I believe is potentially our best player for the future. He seems to have all the tools to be a really good QB. Let's hope you and I are right about this and they give him a chance to prove it.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 1:20 PM, Lee Adams said:

1) A QB who has definitely lost something. No matter what you may want to say, Woodson's arm is still not 'right'.And it seems obvious that he is trying to protect it by avoiding running.

I agree. You can see it in his throwing mechanics. Watch his throwing motion right near the release.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:46 PM, LZIp said:

Looking at the Luke Fickell's of the world anymore just isn't realistic.

Funny you mention this guy as unattainable, when he looks just as clueless running the Cincinnati sideline right now as he did trying to coach Columbus State a few years ago.   I'm sure his narrow wins against Austin Peay and the Sweaters of Oxford are going to look pretty impressive, and elevate his untouchable status even higher.  :lol:

23 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Funny you mention this guy as unattainable, when he looks just as clueless running the Cincinnati sideline right now as he did trying to coach Columbus State a few years ago.   I'm sure his narrow wins against Austin Peay and the Sweaters of Oxford are going to look pretty impressive, and elevate his untouchable status even higher.  :lol:

I was talking past tense in the sense of him being a coordinator at OSU, being that I believe he was the runner up when we hired Ianello. I don't think those types (coordinator at top programs) are realistic options in today's college football dynamic unless we are really ready to open up the checkbook.

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, Buckzip said:

I think we need to stay away from position coaches and either get a major school coordinator or a lower lever winning head coach. Winning is winning. 

The problem with a major school coordinator is that those coaches are making near or even over 7 figures. Akron would pretty much need to double what they pay Bowden to get any of them.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The problem with a major school coordinator is that those coaches are making near or even over 7 figures. Akron would pretty much need to double what they pay Bowden to get any of them.

Not in all cases. Some want to be a HC to start moving up the ranks. Granted if we got that type, he wouldn't last long if he was successful, but perhaps having some success would make it much easier to replace him when that time comes. 

13 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Not in all cases. Some want to be a HC to start moving up the ranks. Granted if we got that type, he wouldn't last long if he was successful, but perhaps having some success would make it much easier to replace him when that time comes. 

Even a guy like Lane Kiffin who took a pay cut to coach at FAU is still making $1 million per year. What is Bowden making $450k-$500k? We would significantly need to raise that plus would likely need to raise what we are paying the supporting staff to attract a guy of that caliber.

21 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Even a guy like Lane Kiffin who took a pay cut to coach at FAU is still making $1 million per year. What is Bowden making $450k-$500k? We would significantly need to raise that plus would likely need to raise what we are paying the supporting staff to attract a guy of that caliber.

Lane Kiffen. Good grief what a disaster as a HC. I wonder how many more chances he gets. Remember, I also said lower division HC. Maybe we can get Pelini. Not sure how well he would do but he would be entertaining seeing him act like an idiot every game. 

Edited by Buckzip

Annoyed at tonight's loss. Even more than the ISU game, I don't think that team was better than us. The biggest issue is us beating ourselves. Stupid penalties, stupid turnovers. I thought Woody played a good game outside of three plays really, and I don't hold the last INT against him as much as the game was basically over anyways. I don't really feel we are lacking talent to compete in the MAC. I think the D is improved from last year, but I'd like to see more of a pass rush, Gilbert (preseason MAC DPOY) make more plays, and the defense in general capitalize on their chances to create turnovers. A stop on 4th down of a Jordan George INT on that last drive wins the game. I have concerns about the WR corp, but I think they look a lot better if Wolf can get and stay fully healthy. Formidable for the MAC at least. Same goes for the OL. I'd hope run blocking looks a lot better against lesser teams.

Unfortunately I do think a lot of the issues come from coaching. Just too undisciplined of a team which costs us. I do however think we have enough talent to pull off a 7-5 or 6-6 season. Time to earn your worth Bowden & Co or time to go. BG, Buffalo, and Kent should be guaranteed wins. Thats 4 there. Toledo is a loss. I've paid close attention to WMU and am not very impressed. Stop the run and you can beat them. Beat 2 of WMU, Ohio, Ball St, and Miami and we should be bowling. It's possible.......but time will tell.

The drives at the end of the 1st half and the beginning of the 2nd half that got into the Red Zone turned into a MESS !!   With 16 seconds to go in the half, we had a 1st down, and 3 shots at the end zone, which turned into ONE PLAY and a FG attempt because Tommy scrambled around and wasted clock.  Then in the 2nd half, he missed Austin on an easy TD throw.   The penalties were just crazy momentum killers at many, many critical moments.

But at least I figured out the brilliant AJ Offense for the rest of the year. 

1) Run a lot of unsuccessful plays that kill drives.

2) Hope that Kwad gets open on a long route at some point.