U Mass Lowell Riverhawks

17 minutes ago, AyYo said:

Attendance for the first two games has been 1987 and 1320.

For comparison, last year the first two game were 3382 and 2380.

That's quite a drastic difference, no?

the team opened at home last year against two teams ranked in the top 10...Georgetown and Seattle

Last year's team was coming off a final four appearance and they were ranked in the top 3 or 4 in the country.

First home game was after 2 losses on the road.

2nd home game....was scheduled at a horrible time...noon on a Sunday...and it was 90 degrees outside

A noon game has to compete with people watching the Browns on their TV in their air conditioned home.  As bad as the Browns are, sports fan still want to watch their game.

that being said, the zip athletic department does a horrible job of promoting zips mens soccer to the community and to the students.

The #1 team in the country is coming to Cub Cadet field on Wednesday night.   I would hope that Larry Williams is calling the editor of the Beacon Journal and requesting an article in Wednesday's Akron Paper.....but I would not be surprised if that is not happening.

I would hope that the Student Union and all academic buildings are covered with signs promoting the Zips vs. #1 Michigan State....to help get the AK rowdies out.

2 hours ago, TennZip said:

the team opened at home last year against two teams ranked in the top 10...Georgetown and Seattle

Last year's team was coming off a final four appearance and they were ranked in the top 3 or 4 in the country.

First home game was after 2 losses on the road.

2nd home game....was scheduled at a horrible time...noon on a Sunday...and it was 90 degrees outside

A noon game has to compete with people watching the Browns on their TV in their air conditioned home.  As bad as the Browns are, sports fan still want to watch their game.

that being said, the zip athletic department does a horrible job of promoting zips mens soccer to the community and to the students.

The #1 team in the country is coming to Cub Cadet field on Wednesday night.   I would hope that Larry Williams is calling the editor of the Beacon Journal and requesting an article in Wednesday's Akron Paper.....but I would not be surprised if that is not happening.

I would hope that the Student Union and all academic buildings are covered with signs promoting the Zips vs. #1 Michigan State....to help get the AK rowdies out.

Is there a significant difference in the job the athletic department is doing this year compared to last year? I am no longer in the Akron area so I can't really tell other than through social media. In that aspect, there seemed to be more social media advertising last year.

57 minutes ago, AyYo said:

Is there a significant difference in the job the athletic department is doing this year compared to last year? I am no longer in the Akron area so I can't really tell other than through social media. In that aspect, there seemed to be more social media advertising last year.

I am not in the area, either....

I would say no to your first question

another point....the recruiting class for last year....was ranked #1 or #2 in the country....there was tremendous excitement about Jon Lewis, Nick Hinds, Marcel Zajac, etal

Add that to most players returning from the final four and the product sold itself.

this year's recruiting class was not highly ranked...and the team lost several key players from a team that lost in the round of 32

Not to beat a dead horse...because others have said it already....Having 4 out of your first 5 matches on the road and backloading the schedule with games is not a way to build interest.   Next year, I would hope that the 2nd home game of the year will occur before Sept. 24th.

On 9/25/2017 at 1:38 PM, ZipsVoice said:

Did Jared forget his Zips shirts, or did he have a late tee time?  Saw him on the sidelines and thought, "who the heck is that?" until I saw him walk and knew it was him.  Rather casual for Jared, although he can't be expected to dress like Caleb does now his coat and ties!

That is the best you can come up with about the game? :zzz:

• Confused 1

On 9/24/2017 at 5:32 PM, ZipsVoice said:

This was soooo good to experience, although Z.I.P., you can keep this heat in Aloha-land!  The Zips looked strong and organized early on, and when Sam got #1 it was like the demons were released from all the road matches.  Egdo was a madman out there, and I agree with ME that Nick looked back in match fitness.  Should have been a PK for the Zips that was waived off too.  Cordiero's save came at a very opportune time to save the momentum we had picked up.  And Ben's save was such a great guess/reaction.  This really sets up Wednesday night vs MSU well.

Stayed and watched the women, and it was another L for  great bunch of kids.  Friday  night they played a great second half to get back in their match with NIU, and today they held Western Michigan to no shots on goal in the first half, and kept it to 1 shot on goal until the 72 minute, then back to back Bronco goals in 5 minutes put this one in the L column.  Only 100 people there, wish some of the men's fans would have stuck around for a little support, but oh well....They are still a better team than their record shows, just VERY young.

Hey YipaZip....As you can see, I did already post about the match....

Edited by ZipsVoice