Game 5—@Bowling Green

lance99

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

Well looks like I'm going to avoid the forum for awhile.  Zips win and all some fans do is complain.  See ya'll later in the season.  Not worth it right now.

Did you watch the game?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Larry Williams hit a home run in hiring John Groce & Larry Williams is a football guy.  He's likely already got his short-list of candidates on speed dial; might be looking for a reason to give his #1 a call.  Bowden's in Save-His-Job mode.  I have full confidence in Larry Williams.

Heck, #5 YSU just beat #4 South Dakota State last night.  Bo Pellini's only 45 minutes away.

Is Akron a better job than YSU? Can Akron pay significantly more than YSU to convince Pelini to leave home?

3 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

I guarantee he is. Nobody with a brain can watch the zips and think that this program is even remotely heading in the right direction. Bowden is as good as gone and rightfully so. 

On another site I asked a question to someone that is very knowledgeable about college coaches. I asked his thoughts on TB.

His response was that TB inherited a disaster and took Akron from terrible to average, but that he didn't believe that TB could take them from average to good. I think this is very true. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Buckzip said:

On another site I asked a question to someone that is very knowledgeable about college coaches. I asked his thoughts on TB.

His response was that TB inherited a disaster and took Akron from terrible to average, but that he didn't believe that TB could take them from average to good. I think this is very true. 

Sounds like a fair statement.

I went to the BG game. We did not play good football and that is what I think has the majority of our fans upset. I don't want Terry to lose his job, but I do want a coach who can take us beyond 5-7. I have been convinced that's not TB. The rest is up to Williams and Wilson. 

What stood out the most to me in the game was how bad BG is. They are also just as bad in managing the game event. Their promotions are pathetic and make us look like the Big 10. I have heard that with the building of the Stroh Center with a capacity of 5,000 BG was sending a message it was glad to just be in the MAC. Winning it is not a priority for most of their sports. I believe it. 

BTW, as bad as the evening was BG still charged $10 for parking and $24 for the cheapest ticket. I feel as if I was taken to the cleaners. Poor me:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I went to the BG game. We did not play good football and that is what I think has the majority of our fans upset. I don't want Terry to lose his job, but I do want a coach who can take us beyond 5-7. I have been convinced that's not TB. The rest is up to Williams and Wilson. 

What stood out the most to me in the game was how bad BG is. They are also just as bad in managing the game event. Their promotions are pathetic and make us look like the Big 10. I have heard that with the building of the Stroh Center with a capacity of 5,000 BG was sending a message it was glad to just be in the MAC. Winning it is not a priority for most of their sports. I believe it. 

BTW, as bad as the evening was BG still charged $10 for parking and $24 for the cheapest ticket. I feel as if I was taken to the cleaners. Poor me:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the info. about BG.  I haven't been at a game there in awhile.  

On the item I have highlighted, I would say that they probably ARE glad to be int he MAC, since they've been a member for about 70 yrs.  I'd even say that most of the MAC schools are also right where they should be.  I like to believe that we COULD be different.  We're still a bit "new", and still growing as a D-1 athletic member. I hope I'm right.  

8 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Morgan and Edwards had a good game at BG. What happened to Sands? Is he injured again? I thought he might get some carries with the injury to Ball.  

He has been returning kickoffs so I think he is fine. I'd like to see him get some more carries as well.

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

What happened to Sands? 

He's trying to hide from you. ? He changed his number from 13 to 26 to 22 in less than two months. 

A few positive things I noticed from the game.

• Everybody feels terrible about Warren Ball's injury, but just as the staff indicated before the year started, they are comfortable with the RB group. Van come in and run hard for 70 yards on 14 carries showing the ability to break tackles. Manny added 50 yards, and Deltron has nine carries under his belt this year and seems to have recovered from his shoulder issues. 

• Woodson seems to have shaken off the "rust" and is delivering the ball on time and with some zip. He even finally started running the ball when everybody collapses on the run up the middle. 

• I like the series that Kato got. I thought that was a good use of a QB that has different skills than your starter. Give the defense more to prepare for, while providing some experience. It was a well timed change. 

• I thought Kyle Ritz did an awesome job pulling, every time we run that play we got some nice success, hope to see more. 

• Austin Wolf gives our receiving corp the experience it needs. Without Wolf, it seemed our corp was out of position, with Wolf, I think everybody fits into their role. 

• Twenty-two different players contributed a tackle on defense in the game. Ulysees, Brian Bell, Deon'Tae Moore and Brennan Williams all had a tackle for loss. We are still not seeing enough QB pressure, but I think it was better in this game. 

• I always think it's nonsensical to look a month ahead of the schedule and start to mark wins and losses. There are three ways a team can go at this juncture of the season, get worse, stay the same, or get better. I think this team has the talent to get better. I think Chuck Amato's defenses have always gotten better by the end of the year. The staff indicated that the run game was ahead of the passing game at the beginning of the year, between Ball's injury and Woodson's progression from his injury, I think the two are getting closer, and we may see the offense progress as a result. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Thanks for posting the info. about BG.  I haven't been at a game there in awhile.  

On the item I have highlighted, I would say that they probably ARE glad to be int he MAC, since they've been a member for about 70 yrs.  I'd even say that most of the MAC schools are also right where they should be.  I like to believe that we COULD be different.  We're still a bit "new", and still growing as a D-1 athletic member. I hope I'm right.  

Skip, I also believe we could be different. I further think that that sentiment is shared by Toledo and Northern. We aren't there, but we must continue to strive to get there Good things will happen by setting higher sights and when the opportunity presents itself we will be ready. BTW, this is not code for thinking we can get into the P5, but we can go a lot higher in the G5.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 2:13 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Larry Williams hit a home run in hiring John Groce & Larry Williams is a football guy.  He's likely already got his short-list of candidates on speed dial; might be looking for a reason to give his #1 a call.  Bowden's in Save-His-Job mode.  I have full confidence in Larry Williams.

That's interesting, given Akron's his first stop that even HAS football, after Portland and Marquette.  And ask MU Buzz Williams supporters about his "long ball".  We will see how Larry's batting average (and Groce's) is going eventually, but he lacks enough at-bats still.  I fear he may have a "RISP" opportunity coming, however.  And when is baseball returning?  lol

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

We will see how Larry's batting average (and Groce's) is going eventually, but he lacks enough at-bats still.

I thought the same way when I read that post.  Regardless of where you stand on the Groce hiring, I had been scratching my head as to why someone was calling that a "home run hire" for Larry, when we haven't played a single basketball game since that event occurred.  

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Can we just enjoy the win for a week? 

What, and ruin every possibile opportunity to. Complain about tthe team and coaches?

I have said before and will reiterate there is tremendous parity in the MAC. There are no automatics and with the exception of last year's WMU, i believe any team has the capability to beat any other team on any given week...with possibly the exception of Can't State.

11 hours ago, Dr Z said:

He's trying to hide from you. ? He changed his number from 13 to 26 to 22 in less than two months. 

It must have gone like this - #13 is unlucky so double it. Nah #26 is double trouble so how about doubling the 2 (deuce) to #22 and you can call me Double 'D'. Kidding - who knows, maybe there was a conflict or something. Anyhow, I'd like to see him get some carries.  

Edited by UA1987

On 10/2/2017 at 10:41 AM, Dr Z said:

• Everybody feels terrible about Warren Ball's injury, but just as the staff indicated before the year started, they are comfortable with the RB group. Van come in and run hard for 70 yards on 14 carries showing the ability to break tackles. Manny added 50 yards, and Deltron has nine carries under his belt this year and seems to have recovered from his shoulder issues. 

• Woodson seems to have shaken off the "rust" and is delivering the ball on time and with some zip. He even finally started running the ball when everybody collapses on the run up the middle. 

• I like the series that Kato got. I thought that was a good use of a QB that has different skills than your starter. Give the defense more to prepare for, while providing some experience. It was a well timed change. 

• I thought Kyle Ritz did an awesome job pulling, every time we run that play we got some nice success, hope to see more. 

• Austin Wolf gives our receiving corp the experience it needs. Without Wolf, it seemed our corp was out of position, with Wolf, I think everybody fits into their role. 

• Twenty-two different players contributed a tackle on defense in the game. Ulysees, Brian Bell, Deon'Tae Moore and Brennan Williams all had a tackle for loss. We are still not seeing enough QB pressure, but I think it was better in this game. 

• I always think it's nonsensical to look a month ahead of the schedule and start to mark wins and losses. There are three ways a team can go at this juncture of the season, get worse, stay the same, or get better. I think this team has the talent to get better. I think Chuck Amato's defenses have always gotten better by the end of the year. The staff indicated that the run game was ahead of the passing game at the beginning of the year, between Ball's injury and Woodson's progression from his injury, I think the two are getting closer, and we may see the offense progress as a result. 

One thing I forgot to mention in my game notes, Kobie Booker showed some recieving ability making his first reception (18 yards), coach Bowden has recognized him for doing a good job blocking, but he would be a welcome addition helping out our receiving corp in the middle of the field. Coach Bowden made a comment about the tight end position in his on field interview after the game, "we need to start to get the tight end involved in our offense." Let's see how many times the tight end releases from the line of scrimmage this week. 

Had to look at the stats

Akron(Woodson)-13-24-168; Wolf-6-68 Rush-178(net)-Edwards-14-70, Woodson-24; total net yards-361. Defense-2 Picks-gave up 181 Rush;195 Pass Net-376.

Thankfully BGSU imitated Akron in the penalty department. Zips amazingly only 1 for 5yds.!!!!???

The loss of Ball will be a 'killer' over the rest of the season. It takes away one of the few legit. threats the offense had.

Nothing remarkable about this game. Zips beat a team that is worse than they are. Thats what you do.

They have a chance at home against Ball State this week. They better do it because after that it could get ugly on the road against WMU and Toledo.

The only way this works out favorably is if Akron beats Testicle Tech. Then,they have to win at least 3 out of 4 of the games in the East against OU,Miami,Buffalo and KS>U. Which of those 3 do they win?

Not just hoping for some bowl game at 6-6 here. They need to show they can at least compete in the East. That would give them 5 wins in the MAC for possibly the first time under Bowden?

Please correct if wrong.

22 hours ago, Dr Z said:

One thing I forgot to mention in my game notes, Kobie Booker showed some recieving ability making his first reception (18 yards), coach Bowden has recognized him for doing a good job blocking, but he would be a welcome addition helping out our receiving corp in the middle of the field. Coach Bowden made a comment about the tight end position in his on field interview after the game, "we need to start to get the tight end involved in our offense." Let's see how many times the tight end releases from the line of scrimmage this week. 

Tight end. Some have been saying for years,find one and use him.

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Tight end. Some have been saying for years,find one and use him.

You assume that Milwee knows what a Tight End is. An OC shouldn't need the head coach to come to him and say start using the TE. Milwee has rarely used him since he has become our OC. I have no confidence in his ability to be creative or to use all the talent resources our team has.