National Anthem

ZipsVoice

30 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

When people stop being racist the protests will end and it won't be a problem.

Don't be naive. Hate will always exist.

Lets take our blinders off for a minute. I know two people who work in inner city Cleveland schools. 1 was called a white bitch. I'm sure there was no hate based on her skin color in that statement....... The other had a parent request that a kid be moved from his class because he (the teacher) is white. I could only imagine the uproar if a white parent requested that their son be removed from a class because their son had a black teacher.

Racism only goes one way though right? Lets grow up and stop acting like those dweebs in Charlottesville represent America. I was taught not to stereotype. Maybe everyone acting like this is a widespread problem should have been taught the same.

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

Don't be naive. Hate will always exist.

Lets take our blinders off for a minute. I know two people who work in inner city Cleveland schools. 1 was called a white bitch. I'm sure there was no hate based on her skin color in that statement....... The other had a parent request that a kid be moved from his class because he (the teacher) is white. I could only imagine the uproar if a white parent requested that their son be removed from a class because their son had a black teacher.

Perfect example.  I support anyone who wants to "stop racism".  That means anyone directing hatred towards someone else because of their color, regardless of the color of the perpetrator or the victim.   

21 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Pure class organization and he is exactly right. 

hardly..ALEJANDRO VILLENUEVA is PURE CLASS....pops rooney said he respects DIVERSITY OF OPINION....as long as it aligns with his....strangely i can't recall any players or owners being "outraged" when kaepernick wore cops as pigs socks or wore his CHE GUEVARA SHIRT...

Edited by mivid12

I am an African American 

I now live in the DC area moving here from Akron in 2008.

I am a federal contractor and my father is a vet.  

I was also at the Raiders/Redskins game last night and I attend many Skins games on a regular. (Browns Fan though)

With that been said I am all for "any" player choosing to take a knee during the National Anthem as its their constitutional right to do so. 

A professional league that is 70% Black many players believe that as a nation we are not collectively living up to the meaning of the Flag and Anthem

and as a result they are using that platform to express their conflicted opinion on the matter.  A platform the NFL and other Pro Sports Leagues have been financially capitalizing off of. 

Between 2012-2015 DoD paid $53 million of taxpayers' money to pro sports for military tributes in regards to marketing and advertising contracts with professional sports organizations. More than $10 million of that went to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and Major League Soccer.

I have no problem with what Alejandro Villanueva did yesterday because that was his constitutional right. I actually admire what he did. 

Overall there is an on going problem in America in regards to a lack of equality for everyone especially when it comes to minorities. 
"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." 

And im sad to say this is the very reason why I Left Akron. 

Originally from South Carolina I can honestly say I have personally experienced more racism up north than I have down south. 

I am a believer that you are more than likely to experience racism and inequality in areas where the Wealth Gap is wide. 

I graduated from Akron in 2006. Remained and worked for a top company in the area. Countless times for example i went out after work with my coworkers around Akron and Fairlawn who were predominately white  and even though I was dressed professionally enough for my employer it wasn't enough for many establishments who profiled me because to them I fit the description of the Black Man who posed a threat. I basically had to look like Tiger Woods without a golf club to get accepted into establishments. 

I eventually got tired of it and left. I now work on Capitol Hill. 

Social Injustice may not be a problem to you but at least acknowledge that there is a problem and respect those who use their platforms to make it known. 

Now I will say this. 
In regards to the NFL Players and Colin Kaepernick defenders who have been calling for a boycott of the NFL. 

Speaking for myself don't expect me to give a damn until the Colin's former coworkers collectively give a damn. 

NFLPA is an absolute joke. 

The Kaepernick situation is not racial in my eyes. The NFL does not have a racial problem they have an image problem and it stems from the Owners having too much power and the NFLPA has no one to blame but themselves as they have the worst Collective Bargaining Agreement in professional sports. 

They sat the face of the league down for deflated balls for Christ sake an the league didn't miss a beat. Thats power. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I am an African American 

I now live in the DC area moving here from Akron in 2008.

I am a federal contractor and my father is a vet.  

I was also at the Raiders/Redskins game last night and I attend many Skins games on a regular. (Browns Fan though)

With that been said I am all for "any" player choosing to take a knee during the National Anthem as its their constitutional right to do so. 

A professional league that is 70% Black many players believe that as a nation we are not collectively living up to the meaning of the Flag and Anthem

and as a result they are using that platform to express their conflicted opinion on the matter.  A platform the NFL and other Pro Sports Leagues have been financially capitalizing off of. 

Between 2012-2015 DoD paid $53 million of taxpayers' money to pro sports for military tributes in regards to marketing and advertising contracts with professional sports organizations. More than $10 million of that went to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and Major League Soccer.

I have no problem with what Alejandro Villanueva did yesterday because that was his constitutional right. I actually admire what he did. 

Overall there is an on going problem in America in regards to a lack of equality for everyone especially when it comes to minorities. 
"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." 

And im sad to say this is the very reason why I Left Akron. 

Originally from South Carolina I can honestly say I have personally experienced more racism up north than I have down south. 

I am a believer that you are more than likely to experience racism and inequality in areas where the Wealth Gap is wide. 

I graduated from Akron in 2006. Remained and worked for a top company in the area. Countless times for example i went out after work with my coworkers around Akron and Fairlawn who were predominately white  and even though I was dressed professionally enough for my employer it wasn't enough for many establishments who profiled me because to them I fit the description of the Black Man who posed a threat. I basically had to look like Tiger Woods without a golf club to get accepted into establishments. 

I eventually got tired of it and left. I now work on Capitol Hill. 

Social Injustice may not be a problem to you but at least acknowledge that there is a problem and respect those who use their platforms to make it known. 

Now I will say this. 
In regards to the NFL Players and Colin Kaepernick defenders who have been calling for a boycott of the NFL. 

Speaking for myself don't expect me to give a damn until the Colin's former coworkers collectively give a damn. 

NFLPA is an absolute joke. 

The Kaepernick situation is not racial in my eyes. The NFL does not have a racial problem they have an image problem and it stems from the Owners having too much power and the NFLPA has no one to blame but themselves as they have the worst Collective Bargaining Agreement in professional sports. 

They sat the face of the league down for deflated balls for Christ sake an the league didn't miss a beat. Thats power. 

You seem to be doing quite well for yourself, even with your skin color supposedly limiting you. I know many other minorities as well doing well for themselves. I also know some who aren't. I know plenty of white people who aren't doing well for themselves and plenty who are.

What are some examples of the injustices you faced while living in Akron? Are you saying you were denied entry into bars or restaurants? You say you basically have to look like Tiger Woods. What do you mean you need to look like Tiger Woods? Is being clean cut and dressed nice a bad or irrational request? As I white male I can also be denied entry into certain establishments if I'm not dressed a certain way.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dre22era said:

disagree.....anyone can be successful in this country thru hard work & education...anything else is an excuse

the less ppl inject skin color & gender into damn near everything the better off we'll all be....live & let live & help your family, friends, neighbors or strangers when needed..

Edited by mivid12

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

You seem to be doing quite well for yourself, even with your skin color supposedly limiting you. I know many other minorities as well doing well for themselves. I also know some who aren't. I know plenty of white people who aren't doing well for themselves and plenty who are.

What are some examples of the injustices you faced while living in Akron? Are you saying you were denied entry into bars or restaurants? You say you basically have to look like Tiger Woods. What do you mean you need to look like Tiger Woods? Is being clean cut and dressed nice a bad or irrational request? As I white male I can also be denied entry into certain establishments if I'm not dressed a certain way.

Around Akron in general I was treated differently. Yes I was often denied entry into bars or restaurants when I was the best dressed out of the group of people (Predominately white) I was with. When I reference Tiger Woods I am saying I basically had to have slacks and dress shoes on while my white friends gained acceptance into these establishments with flip flops on. 

Even at times when I came back to Akron to visit It wasn't until I flashed my government badge that the perception of me in these establishments changed. 

A waitress in Gasoline Alley located in Bath Township once threw a quarter at me because she assumed I shorted her on a tip when I was just trying to pay and tip her with a credit card while my friends at the table paid with cash. 

I have moved over 20 times in my life living in different states and communities as my family worked in Military and Law Enforcement. My sample size is large. 

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying ONLY Blacks are being treated unfairly. I am just vouching for my personal experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mivid12 said:

strangely i can't recall any players or owners being "outraged" when kaepernick wore cops as pigs socks

That, right there, illustrates the complete hypocrisy of this entire issue involving the NFL players, and their actions.  

2 hours ago, dre22era said:

A waitress in Gasoline Alley located in Bath Township once threw a quarter at me because she assumed I shorted her on a tip

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying ONLY Blacks are being treated unfairly. I am just vouching for my personal experience. 

First, I appreciate that you put that line at the end of your comments, stating that this was your experience, and that you're well aware that instances of hatred happen to people of ALL races.  We certainly all admit that racial hatred is a real problem.  

However, I hope you're not stereotyping the people of a particular locale (Bath Township) yourself.  Or, that a white waitress reacting to a bad tip so unprofessionally should automatically be perceived as "racially motivated".   I think that's how FAR too much fuel gets put on the fire of this issue (no Gasoline Alley pun intended).  

I've had plenty of my own experiences as a white man in Akron, including straight-out name calling, and was once unforgettably told, "All White A$$ Cracker Need To Die" by an angry black man on an Akron street.  And I won't even get into my disdain for the way the College Student Assistance program discriminates against people like myself.  But please know, it hurts me to know that the town I love and have called my home for nearly 35 years does not have a fond place in your heart because of some of your experiences here.   

21 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That, right there, illustrates the complete hypocrisy of this entire issue involving the NFL players, and their actions.  

First, I appreciate that you put that line at the end of your comments, stating that this was your experience, and that you're well aware that instances of hatred happen to people of ALL races.  We certainly all admit that racial hatred is a real problem.  

However, I hope you're not stereotyping the people of a particular locale (Bath Township) yourself.  Or, that a white waitress reacting to a bad tip so unprofessionally should automatically be perceived as "racially motivated".   I think that's how FAR too much fuel gets put on the fire of this issue (no Gasoline Alley pun intended).  

I've had plenty of my own experiences as a white man in Akron, including straight-out name calling, and was once unforgettably told, "All White A$$ Cracker Need To Die" by an angry black man on an Akron street.  And I won't even get into my disdain for the way the College Student Assistance program discriminates against people like myself.  But please know, it hurts me to know that the town I love and have called my home for nearly 35 years does not have a fond place in your heart because of some of your experiences here.   

Around my peers I am a think outside the box type of guy in regards to always listening and respecting both sides of and argument/opinion.
One of the best courses I took at Akron was  - Sociology In Organizations which for example taught me to instead of writing individuals and groups off in regards to their hatred or disagreement of me Try to find out why they feel that way. On occasions when I asked people why? They can't give me an answer because they don't know themselves and are rather following a cultural trend.  
Regardless of what I have personally experienced I try not to stereotype. I can easily say I "do not" stereotype but I am not perfect. I have my flaws too and I try to grow from them daily.   

I try not to judge a person based on their Politics, Religion and Sexuality. 

In regards to the waitress her actions was racially motivated as there were other things she did that lead up to her throwing a quarter at me basically treating me like I didn't belong there. 

This happened back in 2008 and this is the first time I have openly discussed this with anyone else excluding my friends who were there. 

A friend of mine has been critical of NFL owners donating to Trump's campaign. I told him I don't knock owners for donating because I don't knock owners for supporting their political party. I told him all Republicans are not racist and all people who voted for Trump are not racist. Thats the fact I believe too many people are missing and it goes both ways in regards to the Left & Right. I believe there is too much characterizing and labeling of one another these days. 

I personally hate Extreme Anything and thats the main problem today in regards to the lack of respect both sides have today in Politics, Religion and social issues in general. 

In a perfect world if we all could sit at a table and have a conversation we would have a better understanding of one another because in general its unjust to speak on what someone else is going through looking from the outside in. You rather get better insight by asking whoever directly. 
I rather be asked a question about me, my race and my culture vs someone settling for a blind assumption of me. 

• Like 4

Funny - the Ravens and Jaguars knelt for the U.S. National Anthem BUT they stood for God Save the Queen.  I wonder if the players are aware of the American Revolution? ;)

Something does not make sense to me about not standing up for the national anthem. People say they have a right to protest the song celebrating America because America has injustice, unfairness and issues that have caused pain. There is no question that injustice has existed throughout time in this country. There is no question that prejudice exists and that "all" people are treated unfairly to differing degrees. These social ills should never be tolerated, accepted or allowed to continue.  However, there is danger in not standing for the anthem and seeing the American Flag as the cause of these problems. Is America perfect. No. Is America to be judged as a final product and anything less than perfect then interpreted as sure signs that it represents oppression, hatred and inequality. America like all things in life is a breathing, changing, evolving state. It has come far in its history to achieve great goals of freedom, tolerance, equality and justice for its citizens. It has done so much to help other nations survive tyranny, oppression and cruelty. Yet it still has much left to do if it is ever going to become a perfect nation. Love for one's country is not something that should be viewed from the perspective of perfection. Love for one's country should be unconditional and when something is less than perfect, its citizens should work as hard as they can to correct it.

When someone sees something less than perfect in our country, they should passionately protest and explain why the injustice needs correcting. One can and should push our country to even greater accomplishments through introspection and pressure to improve. However, one's love for the country should always exist. When citizens attack the flag or the national anthem, it is an attack on the country itself. When the intensity of the attacks become full of rage and hatred, it festers into feelings of hating our country. American's should always dislike/hate prejudice, inequality, unfairness. They are social and political cancers that attack and attempt to suffocate our nation. America is the greatest nation on earth. It can sustain attacks about its history, injustice and inequalities. However, when people begin to hate the nation itself there is danger that America's ability to sustain itself will be jeopardized. Hate the cause, hate the unfairness but do not hate the country.

I will never hate this country. I will never hate what it stands for or its symbols. I will accept it is less than perfect and dedicate myself to fixing its weaknesses. I will have the courage to acknowledge its flaws and to push to find answers so all Americans may be free, equal and happy. For America to achieve the harmony, peace and destiny it was created for, requires love, caring and commitment from its citizens. I will always stand for the national anthem and put my hand on my heart for the pledge of allegiance. I will do this to offer love for my country so it may continue its journey of fulfilling its basic commitments to its citizens. Millions have died honoring this commitment to the nation. Love is the only force on earth that allows people to grow, succeed and be happy. Love for one's country is essential if it is to do the same.

I want clowns to juggle, actors to act, musicians to sing, basketball players to dribble and shoot, football players to run and catch and news reporters to report the news.  That is what I pay for.  I don't need Madonna, Rosie Odonnell, Anderson Cooper, Lebron, Martavis Bryant, Ashley Judd, Kathy Griffin, Sean Penn to try and shove their opinions at me from their ivory mansions because they have a big microphone.  If they want to help causes, do what Jim Brown has been doing all of his life.....roll up your sleeves and get out there.  Kneeling isn't doing ANYTHING.

Edited by a-zip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, a-zip said:

Did CNN photoshop that for Sergio?  I would not call hiding in the shadows backing their teammate.

I can write about this from behind a lens. A photo of Villanueva would be impossible to properly expose him AND his teammates behind him. Bright sun vs dark shade. Multiple stop difference between the two. Super bright sunny days cast hard shadows. Ask any sports photographer, they would rather shoot during an overcast day.  If your exposure is set to Villanueva, you will NEVER see the team in the tunnel. WAY too dark. You would have to set your exposure to the tunnel, and then overexpose Villanueva. Notice how overexposed Al's leg is in the shot I posted was (yellow pants are white). On the three photos you posted, Al's white shirt is the exposure reading making the darks very dark, that's why you can't see detail in the tunnel (shadowed). Try taking a photo of one person in the sun, and one in complete shade in the background to test the results. Joe Robbins pointed his lens at Al, the other photographer pointed his camera at Cam. Two shots that tell two different stories.

Thanks for sharing @dre22era. I'm certainly not calling you a liar so don't take this the wrong way, but I will say I find it hard to believe if that makes sense? I know hate exists, but it is hard to relate without seeing it firsthand and your story helps. I can say I don't think I've ever seen it hanging out with any of my minority friends/colleagues, but I could be wrong. Real world examples like yours helps me understand much more than blanket statements like "black people are oppressed!!"...which I really don't think I agree with on a widespread basis.

@a-zip I'll admit I didn't read your long winded post, but your first sentence caught my eye. Just from following EPL Soccer occasionally, it seems to me that racism in Europe is a much bigger problem than it is in the US. The irony......

I usually stay away from political discussion but don't mind talking like an adult (which is rare in that realm).

• Like 1

If I see or hear of Akron football players not standing when the National Anthem is played then I will not attend another game. Has it happened? I do not watch the NFL anymore. Has it happened in the NBA because if it has I'll turn them off too? I'm not a Trump fan at all, but the colors are being presented by Military Service Members who should be honored no matter what your situation.                  

Assuming people should honor something that doesn't respect you  especially after a large group of people who appose you recently got together in Charlottesville rallying behind another flag that represents the ultimate opposition of the American Flag and our President not Directly condemn them but rather come out and make a stronger statement about professional athletes taking a knee during the anthem ceremony DoD pays the NFL Millions to have says a lot. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Assuming people should honor something that doesn't respect you  especially after a large group of people who appose you recently got together in Charlottesville rallying behind another flag that represents the ultimate opposition of the American Flag and our President not Directly condemn them but rather come out and make a stronger statement about professional athletes taking a knee during the anthem ceremony DoD pays the NFL Millions to have says a lot. 

And this lost rant has what to do with Akron football attendance? Please reconsider why people may be treating you badly. Welcome to my ignore list.  

Edited by UA1987