National Anthem

ZipsVoice

6 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I feel like I've been so terribly misinformed for the last few decades.  :lol:

Yup.

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Balsy, would you please make a list of those 11 tax increases you are now paying.

Here is a a link to the Summit County Board of Elections. 
Here is a link to the Franklin County Board of Elections.

Here is a link to the Medina County Board of Elections.

You can go look for yourself the amount of times, and how frequent local municipalities are having to ask for additional funds (schools represent a huge portion of these) because of decreased subsidy from the state, because of the state's cutting of state income taxes.

*Note I never said "now paying', and I've moved a few times over the past couple of years.  And have worked fulltime every place I've lived, while going to college.  But have witnessed happen in the place I was living at the time. 

Now you also have to be honest and point out; that yes additional levies may be because they want to expand a program or what not, usually additional school levies are because the state has cut funding and therefore the cities must raise the property tax in order to maintain the SAME level of service for their local community.  Poor districts of course are more greatly affected by these changes to school funding from the state, because districts like orance will pass anything because they give a damn, and understand that more money equals better schools (yes, there is a correlation if you give a damn you can research it for yourself...).

And this isn't just my opinion...this is the opinion I've compiled after having conversations with a couple of county auditors both city and county.  They all independently have stated themselves, that usually income tax cuts at the state level directly results in a financial pinch at the county/city level, which forces those municipalities to put additional levies on the ballot to maintain the BASE level of service they already have given to citizens.  Often times citizens vote no, not fully understanding that these "additional" levies are to maintain the status-quo because of the strain.

I highly encourage you to contact your local county auditor, and even city auditor, and ask about the impact of state-level tax-cuts on the local tax base of your individual county.  Because I guarantee there has been an increased burden, as I have had this conversation with several county and city auditors, especially in regards to school tax levies.

32 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Yup.

Here is a a link to the Summit County Board of Elections. 
Here is a link to the Franklin County Board of Elections.

Here is a link to the Medina County Board of Elections.

You can go look for yourself the amount of times, and how frequent local municipalities are having to ask for additional funds (schools represent a huge portion of these) because of decreased subsidy from the state, because of the state's cutting of state income taxes.

*Note I never said "now paying', and I've moved a few times over the past couple of years.  And have worked fulltime every place I've lived, while going to college.  But have witnessed happen in the place I was living at the time. 

Now you also have to be honest and point out; that yes additional levies may be because they want to expand a program or what not, usually additional school levies are because the state has cut funding and therefore the cities must raise the property tax in order to maintain the SAME level of service for their local community.  Poor districts of course are more greatly affected by these changes to school funding from the state, because districts like orance will pass anything because they give a damn, and understand that more money equals better schools (yes, there is a correlation if you give a damn you can research it for yourself...).

And this isn't just my opinion...this is the opinion I've compiled after having conversations with a couple of county auditors both city and county.  They all independently have stated themselves, that usually income tax cuts at the state level directly results in a financial pinch at the county/city level, which forces those municipalities to put additional levies on the ballot to maintain the BASE level of service they already have given to citizens.  Often times citizens vote no, not fully understanding that these "additional" levies are to maintain the status-quo because of the strain.

I highly encourage you to contact your local county auditor, and even city auditor, and ask about the impact of state-level tax-cuts on the local tax base of your individual county.  Because I guarantee there has been an increased burden, as I have had this conversation with several county and city auditors, especially in regards to school tax levies.

So more unsubstantiated BS from you. You made the claim, I'm not doing your research. 

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

So more unsubstantiated BS from you. You made the claim, I'm not doing your research. 

Sorry not going to itemize a list of the three different counties I've lived in that have asked tax payers for an increase to maintain the base level of service, over the last 8 years.  You won't read it.  You won't care about it.  And, most importantly, you'll just stick your head further up your own ass.  

If you think I'm full of it, just as your own county auditor.  Oh wait...you won't.  Because you don't give a crap.  All your generation wants to do is tear down, tear down, tear down.  You don't give a damn about making things better than the way you got them.  

4 hours ago, Balsy said:

Sorry not going to itemize a list of the three different counties I've lived in that have asked tax payers for an increase to maintain the base level of service, over the last 8 years.  You won't read it.  You won't care about it.  And, most importantly, you'll just stick your head further up your own ass.  

If you think I'm full of it, just as your own county auditor.  Oh wait...you won't.  Because you don't give a crap.  All your generation wants to do is tear down, tear down, tear down.  You don't give a damn about making things better than the way you got them.  

Take a deep breath and walk away from the ledge son. 

12 hours ago, Balsy said:

All your generation wants to do is tear down, tear down, tear down.  You don't give a damn about making things better than the way you got them.  

Maybe what you're not getting here is that "our generation" already knows that you can't make things better by taxing the death out of the people who already satisfy nearly all of the country's tax burden, have the most disposable income to put back into the economy, and represent the money behind the businesses that create jobs.  

The only thing people of "your generation" hear right now is, "tax the rich and we can get more free stuff".  Once you get old enough and have owned 3 houses, and get to your desired success level in the world by occupying executive positions or owning portions of companies, you'll grow wiser to why this way of thinking is so counterproductive.  Then you can wonder why you allowed people like Bernie to brainwash you for so long into thinking otherwise.  

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Maybe what you're not getting here is that "our generation" already knows that you can't make things better by taxing the death out of the people who already satisfy nearly all of the country's tax burden, have the most disposable income to put back into the economy, and represent the money behind the businesses that create jobs.  

The only thing people of "your generation" hear right now is, "tax the rich and we can get more free stuff".  Once you get old enough and have owned 3 houses, and get to your desired success level in the world by occupying executive positions or owning portions of companies, you'll grow wiser to why this way of thinking is so counterproductive.  Then you can wonder why you allowed people like Bernie to brainwash you for so long into thinking otherwise.  

Do you have any studies or empirical evidence whatsoever to back up your claims?

This circlejerk is getting tiresome. Somebody, anybody, please back up their claims instead of bloviating back and forth forever.

Edited by ZachTheZip

56 minutes ago, 3rd&twenty said:

It just makes me feel all warm inside to know that I, as a white, middle-aged male, am the root cause of all of this country's ills. 

I think Balsy is talking about Boomers not Xers.

7 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Clue: The answer is not "collect more taxes"

Clue: It's also not from "cutting more taxes" for the wealthy and corporations.  Demand dictates the need to create jobs, not additional money in someone's pocket.  

To test the claim that corporate tax cuts create jobs, the group looked at the payroll changes at 92 publicly held U.S. corporations that posted profits every year from 2008 through 2015 and paid less than 20% of these earnings in federal income tax.

That's less than the top 35% tax rate that is the target of supporters of corporate tax cuts. Companies pay less by claiming a wide variety of deductions and exemptions, similar to those available to individual taxpayers.

... What they found was that more than half of these lightly taxed companies actually shed jobs during the period when the overall economy boosted payrolls by 6%. Of the 92 companies studied, the median change in payrolls was -1%.

Where did the tax savings go? Many of the companies on the list used the free cash to buy back stock, helping to boost the price of their company's shares. The top 10 job-cutters each spent $45 billion in stock buybacks over the 2008-2015 period, a pace six times that of the S&P 500 corporate average, according to the researchers.

The review also found that CEO pay among the 92 companies rose 18% during the period, compared with a 13% increase among S&P 500 CEOs.

So basically mega corporations didn't invest in "job creation" as you Cons always say they do.  They invested in their own pockets, making themselves richer by driving the price up on stocks...stocks they themselves as CEOs and leaders of said corporations, have as compensation packages.

So BULLSHIT that tax cuts creates jobs.  It makes CEOs richer.  It's such a canard.

But what is an equal canard is the pretending the Private Sector is the only thing that can create jobs.  There is 22-million public sector jobs in this country.  And the government often makes contracts with private companies to perform functions.  So Yes, collecting taxes can and does create jobs.  And, when its public sector jobs/projects it's usually a function to serve the public/community, not just an individual person's private interests.  

4 hours ago, 3rd&twenty said:

I'm actually a boomer. Tail end, or overlap, but basically, an evil, middle-aged white guy:)

4 hours ago, K92 said:

I am sorry @3rd&twenty, that was very presumptuous of me to assume you were Gen X.

Time to look in the mirror.  You haven't left the world better than you found it.

Your generation has neglected infrastructure, Social Security, maintaining balanced budgets, you failed to defend and maintain and grow the middle-class of which most of you were growing up, you failed to maintain livable wages your parents and yourselves benefitted from (despite increasing productivity, and yet you blame american workers for being lazy...despite being more productive), you have failed to maintain the affordable college (that you benefitted from), you failed to do anything measurable on climate change.  You all pride yourselves on your "action" and your "decisiveness" and your "badassery".  But you failed in any of the ways that matter to future generations.  You've created nothing but problems that we're going to have to do the hard work of fixing because y'all were either too ignorant or too cowardly to face in the same manner as your parent's generation did.

Just look at the comments you've made on this forum.  Shifting a lot of blame to us young people, who don't run crap in this country.  I mean even in attendance at sporting events: you blame us for not showing up, instead of looking in the mirror and questioning what you failed to do in making a culture worth being part of.  Who the hell wants to be a part of something where they are constantly blamed for?  Perhaps we're not the problem; perhaps you and your decades of neglect was.

I'm tired of you talking crap about young people.  Go look in a mirror.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:20 AM, Balsy said:

To address the contention that these protests have caused a decline in viewership, it's increased week to week, not decreased; which is opposite of the claim that the kneeling is affecting the bottom line.

I wonder why Fox and ESPN are not going to air the anthem this weekend. They must not like higher ratings...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/13/media/nfl-national-anthem/index.html?sr=twmoney101317nfl-national-anthem1116PMVODtopLink&linkId=43483732