National Anthem

ZipsVoice

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

You missed the part of your own article where it said that it's "improved" since the disastorous start of the season, but is still down 7.2%   That's a huge number, my friend.   And you've probably missed all of the stories about how people were tuning in just to see the beginning of games, to entertain themselves by seeing what these rich athletes were going to do, and then switched to other programs. 

Maybe you weren't an economics major, but here's more data to show you that this kind of idiotic behavior affects more things on down the line than you might acknowledge.  Slumps or volatility in stock prices among the Networks that carry the games means that executives could get very nervous about bidding the astronomical amounts for TV rights that we've seen in the past.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2017/09/23/nfl-broadcasting-stocks-slump-as-protests-rise-and-tv-ratings-slump/#3b3e353e4eec

At the end of the day, this will all eventually go away, because nobody, including the players, will allow their wallets to drain over their continued tantrum over Trump winning the election. 

I'm pretty sure I didn't.  Because if it's down because of the Protests...and the protests are still going on...you can't say the slump is BECAUSE of the protests.  Because then it shouldn't be recovering, it should continue to go down or stay low, and not recover.  A factor yes.  The soul cause, no.  As the article pointed out, rather clearly, the hurricanes had a significant impact on ratings.  And ratings have been going down steadily for years, independently of the protests or not.  As the graph below indicates:  Decline happened from 2015-2016 (and we're also noticing one from 2016-2017).  101916-nflratings-social.jpeg?w=1000&h=5

So Protests causing the decline?  Not really.  Hurricanes around the opening and the already declining audience from year-to-year is the cause.  The snowflakes not watching because of the protests are a minority, at best, of the decline.  Suggesting otherwise is dishonest.  Thanks, though, I do read and comprehend my own articles.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

The NY post? Seriously? Not only is this not the "peer-reviewed research" you are constantly clamoring for, but a tabloid?!

You're right actually.  And viewership calculations are often times inflated, and frankly dishonest. There is, however, not a lot of real peer-reviewed research on this topic, simply because it's usually "proprietary" in nature how companies that compile such results do so.  Not that I know of anyways, so unfortunately we're limited in scope to rely on secondary reporting of these things.

6 minutes ago, Balsy said:

You're right actually.  And viewership calculations are often times inflated, and frankly dishonest. There is, however, not a lot of real peer-reviewed research on this topic, simply because it's usually "proprietary" in nature how companies that compile such results do so.  Not that I know of anyways, so unfortunately we're limited in scope to rely on secondary reporting of these things.

I'm just giving you a hard time Balsy! But Zippy5 is right....the NFL is no longer a tax exempt organization, so Trump is just looking like an idiot by making those threats.

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

You know the NFL isn't tax exempt anymore right?

Yes.  But the billionaire owners aren't.  They have a direct motive as I already suggest because it's their pocketbook.  

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

It's a hand out if the government only takes 25% of your earnings? Interesting

Indeed it is.  Tax-cuts are handouts.  Tax-cuts disproportionately benefit wealthy earners more than lower income earners.  So indeed, it's a free-handout for those on the top.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm just giving you a hard time Balsy! But Zippy5 is right....the NFL is no longer a tax exempt organization, so Trump is just looking like an idiot by making those threats.

Not if he's in charge of getting his party to rally behind a massive tax-cut that does directly impact NFL owners (independent of the NFL Tax-Exempt Status).  Yes he (Trump) is an idiot, because he doesn't understand that the NFL isn't tax exempt anymore...but you think it's not a step too far for him to say "Eh, any NFL owners who allow this stuff will be excluded from the tax break (some how?)"  I mean...he is just crazy enough to suggest such a thing...and rally his twitter base behind the crazy notion...:lol:

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Tax-cuts are handouts.  Tax-cuts disproportionately benefit wealthy earners more than lower income earners.  So indeed, it's a free-handout for those on the top.

Dude, this is WHACKED logic, beyond belief.  You're showing that you're a typical, brainwashed lib.  Even though you state otherwise. 

Of course, the people who make the lowest amount of money, and pay NONE or very little taxes, benefit very little from a tax cut.

And rightfully so.   

6 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Not if he's in charge of getting his party to rally behind a massive tax-cut that does directly impact NFL owners (independent of the NFL Tax-Exempt Status).  Yes he (Trump) is an idiot, because he doesn't understand that the NFL isn't tax exempt anymore...but you think it's not a step too far for him to say "Eh, any NFL owners who allow this stuff will be excluded from the tax break (some how?)"  I mean...he is just crazy enough to suggest such a thing...and rally his twitter base behind the crazy notion...:lol:

Nah man I don't buy it. There will never be a tax code written and passed that essentially says "any NFL owner who allows their team to kneel for the anthem will be subject to a higher tax bracket". We live in a democracy not a dictatorship the last I checked.

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Nah man I don't buy it. There will never be a tax code written and passed that essentially says "any NFL owner who allows their team to kneel for the anthem will be subject to a higher tax bracket". We live in a democracy not a dictatorship the last I checked.

You're right that the actual tax code could never be applied in that way.  However, Obama's tax chief did get busted for targeting Conservative groups for audits. 

58 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I mean the guy did gather all of his loyal cabinet members in a room one day...and made them sing praises to the great leader one at a time..I mean this is also a guy who doesn't really understand how government works either...  I mean anything is possible right?  

45 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You're right that the actual tax code could never be applied in that way.  However, Obama's tax chief did get busted for targeting Conservative groups for audits. 

Yeah that didn't happen. Considering no charges were filed, and no evidence of wrong doing was ever found by members of the IRS, or the Obama administration.  This goes in the Conspiracy-Theory category.  

"The probe found "substantial evidence of mismanagement, poor judgment and institutional inertia leading to the belief by many tax-exempt applicants that the IRS targeted them based on their political viewpoints. But poor management is not a crime..."

Unless you're referring to something other than this... 

37 minutes ago, K92 said:

GETTING TO KEEP MORE OF THE MONEY YOU EARNED IS NOT A HAND OUT.  IT'S YOUR MONEY.

I don't agree.  This is why the IRS can come after you for not paying taxes.  It isn't yours, you owe it.  Taxes are a bill.  If you go to a restaurant to eat dinner.  You order the steak.  Once you eat the steak you decide, you're not going to pay for it.  That's stealing, because there was an exchange and you didn't live up to your end of the exchange.  So no, you directly benefit from having a government and the social services available from it.  You get the bill from it currently existing. 

4 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I don't agree.  This is why the IRS can come after you for not paying taxes.  It isn't yours, you owe it.  Taxes are a bill.  If you go to a restaurant to eat dinner.  You order the steak.  Once you eat the steak you decide, you're not going to pay for it.  That's stealing, because there was an exchange and you didn't live up to your end of the exchange.  So no, you directly benefit from having a government and the social services available from it.  You get the bill from it currently existing. 

Next time I order one serving of taxes, I will remember this.

47 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Lois Lerner pled the 5th twice because she was innocent. :rofl:

Gee, I wonder when you're going to jump on board the Russia-Trump collaboration train, because you're not a hypocrite right?  Michale Flynn is pleading the 5th in the Russia Probe.  Trump associate Carter Page also said if he is called to testify in the probe of Russia Meddling he will also plead the 5th.  So that means they're both guilty right?  And that means that the Russians were meddling in the election by conspiring with Trump right?  Right...because that's logically consistent with you're arguement.  So you're totally on board with Trump conspired with Russia.  Good to know.

As this should be obvious; just because you plead the 5th and invoke your 5th amendment right doesn't mean you're guilty of the crime, Just saying.   Just like just because you use your 2nd amendment right to own a firearm doesn't mean you're seeking to kill someone right?  The 5th amendment exists to force prosecutors to build a case of guilt with evidence, as opposed to simply convicting someone on their word alone.  If word-of-mouth is the only reason you can convict someone, you at least have the right to not be coerced into helping them attempt to do that (by playing the word game). 

Don't be a hack Hilltopper, you're better than that.

Edited by Balsy

Balsy,  I have a feeling that you were one of those people in all of the video montages floating around the internet of people crying, screaming, and pounding their fists on the ground because HIllary did not get elected.  

Your generation seems to have a problem whenever they don't get what they want.  But once those people reach their post-college years, mommy and daddy probably aren't around anymore to always protect them, give them their "safe place", and assure them that they are right.  Please come to grips with the fact that the election is over.  We chose Mr. Trump as our President.   In 4 years, you'll get another chance to change our leadership.  Writing paragraph after paragraph of your own logic on an internet forum is probably not your best use of time in attempting to get people converted to your way of thinking.  

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Balsy,  I have a feeling that you were one of those people in all of the video montages floating around the internet of people crying, screaming, and pounding their fists on the ground because HIllary did not get elected.  

Your generation seems to have a problem whenever they don't get what they want.  But once those people reach their post-college years, mommy and daddy probably aren't around anymore to always protect them, give them their "safe place", and assure them that they are right.  Please come to grips with the fact that the election is over.  We chose Mr. Trump as our President.   In 4 years, you'll get another chance to change our leadership.  Writing paragraph after paragraph of your own logic on an internet forum is probably not your best use of time in attempting to get people converted to your way of thinking.  

Nope.  I was not a Hillary fan. 

But I'd like to point out that my point is valid.  How can you claim one person is guilty for saying using their 5th amendment right, and another is completely innocent?  That's logically inconsistent.  If you're going to pedal a conspiracy theory, you better damn-well be logically consistent.  Instead of addressing it, you resort to trying to belittle me.  That's cool.  I can take it.  I've never needed a "safe-space" because I'll dish it right back at ya.

If you couldn't understand the comparison and why I said it: to point out that CONSPIRACY THEORIES ARE NOT WORTH crap.  Than you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.  I will always fire back when you guys are throwing bullshit around.  Using your 5th amendment right does not mean you're guilty, or an admission of a crime as I explained in my post.  End. Of. Story.

10 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Dude, this is WHACKED logic, beyond belief.  You're showing that you're a typical, brainwashed lib.  Even though you state otherwise. 

Of course, the people who make the lowest amount of money, and pay NONE or very little taxes, benefit very little from a tax cut.

And rightfully so.   

Yes and they will rather disproportionately shoulder the burden of all other costs.  

This isn't whacked logic at all, and it's not beyond belief...because it's reality.  The only people who have the money to lobby the government are those that are wealthy.  The wealthy lobby to get their taxes cut, because it benefits them.  Programs cut to pay for those tax cuts are programs that don't benefit the wealthy anyways.  So essentially the wealthy get to win-win and everyone else gets to lose.  Both by losing services, and by burdening a larger cut of the tax-base.  Since Kasich cut the state-income tax, I have seen my taxes raised 11 times at the county and city level.  So his "tax-cut" wasn't worth crap.  To maintain the base level of all sevices, the cities and counties had to raise taxes.  So he gets the political points of a tax-cut, the wealthy get the money...and us in the middle get screwed.

There's nothing brainwashed about what I'm saying.  We've tried the tax-cut experiment, it doesn't work-out for the middle class.  What created the deficit conservatives cried about during Obama's administration, but are suddenly silent about now?  The Bush-Era Tax Cuts. 

Debt-graph-CBPP2012.jpeg

Those tax cuts and deregulation certainly long-lasting boost to the economy!

bush-vs-obama-total-private-jobs-full-pi

image.png

Do tell me how exactly all this cutting-of taxes has benefitted this country?  Because it's objectively not there.  It's made a bunch of people instantly rich, and that's about it.  While kicking the cost of operating our government down the road for my generation to have to fix.  You guys will drain Social Security dry, won't bother to replenish the funds that were paid into it in good faith with the expectation of return because you had to pay for the wealthy to get a little bit more.  You won't bother to do the hard work of building, because all you do is the easy work of destroying.  It's your generation that has made Ameri"CAN" into the country of Ameri "CANT".  You Can't cut taxes forever, yet you conservatives act as if we can.  

We can't build things better.  We can't gurantee you affordable healthcare like the rest of civilized world.  We can't regulate basic crap so your pensions are constantly at risk!  We can't properly fund schools.  We can't gurantee workers livable wages like we did two even one generations ago.  We Can't protect our own citizens from toxins we know are dangerous to their health such as lead.  Cause, who gives a damn about poor people!

God Bless the United States of AmeriCANT! Make America CANT again!!!

8 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Yes and they will rather disproportionately shoulder the burden of all other costs.  

This isn't whacked logic at all, and it's not beyond belief...because it's reality.  The only people who have the money to lobby the government are those that are wealthy.  The wealthy lobby to get their taxes cut, because it benefits them.  Programs cut to pay for those tax cuts are programs that don't benefit the wealthy anyways.  So essentially the wealthy get to win-win and everyone else gets to lose.  Both by losing services, and by burdening a larger cut of the tax-base.  Since Kasich cut the state-income tax, I have seen my taxes raised 11 times at the county and city level.  So his "tax-cut" wasn't worth crap.  To maintain the base level of all sevices, the cities and counties had to raise taxes.  So he gets the political points of a tax-cut, the wealthy get the money...and us in the middle get screwed.

There's nothing brainwashed about what I'm saying.  We've tried the tax-cut experiment, it doesn't work-out for the middle class.  What created the deficit conservatives cried about during Obama's administration, but are suddenly silent about now?  The Bush-Era Tax Cuts. 

Debt-graph-CBPP2012.jpeg

Those tax cuts and deregulation certainly long-lasting boost to the economy!

bush-vs-obama-total-private-jobs-full-pi

image.png

Do tell me how exactly all this cutting-of taxes has benefitted this country?  Because it's objectively not there.  It's made a bunch of people instantly rich, and that's about it.  While kicking the cost of operating our government down the road for my generation to have to fix.  You guys will drain Social Security dry, won't bother to replenish the funds that were paid into it in good faith with the expectation of return because you had to pay for the wealthy to get a little bit more.  You won't bother to do the hard work of building, because all you do is the easy work of destroying.  It's your generation that has made Ameri"CAN" into the country of Ameri "CANT".  You Can't cut taxes forever, yet you conservatives act as if we can.  

We can't build things better.  We can't gurantee you affordable healthcare like the rest of civilized world.  We can't regulate basic crap so your pensions are constantly at risk!  We can't properly fund schools.  We can't gurantee workers livable wages like we did two even one generations ago.  We Can't protect our own citizens from toxins we know are dangerous to their health such as lead.  Cause, who gives a damn about poor people!

God Bless the United States of AmeriCANT! Make America CANT again!!!

TLDR