College Basketball Scandal

UAZip0510

On 2/17/2018 at 8:59 AM, skip-zip said:

I have a thought. 

I'm sure it's likely to be many of the top programs.  That's only logical, based on the history of corrupt behavior in college athletics as a result of money, and pleasing donors.

So, lets put the hammer to all of these schools, and let the rest of us who love COLLEGE athletics start enjoying the competition again on a more level playing field.    

I'm very late to this conversation, but I think you answered your own thought.  Anytime $$$$ is on the line for a lot of people; there will be a faint charade of doing something, as everything will be swept under the rug.  

There are always going to be schools/boosters who will cheat any system for their school to gain an advantage.  Give the kids a decent stipend and someone will surreptitiously give kids a stipend plus.  It's become such a big business for everyone involved, EXCEPT THE KIDS, so I have a tough time begrudging the kids getting their hands into the till.

32 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

The athletes get a Free College Education.  

If they don't care to get a Free College Education, then you can elect not to be a college athlete.  

I would have done anything to get my college bills paid when I was a dirt poor 18 yr. old.    

Fair enough.  Then give them an option to not be a college athlete and do away with the ridiculous "one and done" rule.

I think your two inch vertical held you back from that free education skip!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Fair enough.  Then give them an option to not be a college athlete and do away with the ridiculous "one and done" rule.

I think your two inch vertical held you back from that free education skip!

Oh, I played basketball for many years, but probably maxed out at 12" vertical.  My brother was the dunker.  I think he got better genes.  

Hey, I'm fine with eliminating the "mandatory 1 yr. of college" rule.  It does bother me that they are using colleges as "minor leagues" for the nba, and these kids enroll with absolutely no intention of ever getting a college education.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Oh, I played basketball for many years, but probably maxed out at 12" vertical.  My brother was the dunker.  I think he got better genes.  

Hey, I'm fine with eliminating the "mandatory 1 yr. of college" rule.  It does bother me that they are using colleges as "minor leagues" for the nba, and these kids enroll with absolutely no intention of ever getting a college education.  

I hated the kids jumping from high school to the NBA.  However, at this point, I see kids putting D1 programs on their backs and making millions for their schools, sponsors and the NCAA and everyone but them walking away with huge rewards.  That's what bugs me.  I do however see how early entry, rather than straight from high school or after a semester of college, hurts the NCAA and NBA games.

Put me down for one who is 100% against any additional financial compensation for main-sport student athletes. We're talking around $120k in minimal compensation for tuition and room & board alone. Let alone the opportunity to travel the US on the school's dollar. If they don't value those things as they should, they sure as Hell won't know the value of additional financial compensation. Half these guys have thousands of dollars on their bodies in the form of tattoos, yet complain about not having additional money for food or something (Shabbazz Napier).

Scrap the one & done rule and let them make the jump to either the NBA or a developmental league. 

I would say I'm against the 1 and done rule and am open to kids going straight to the NBA if they are good enough, but acting like its either go to college or nothing is disingenuous. Plenty of realistic overseas options. Emmanuel Mudiay did it. The Ball brothers (ugh) are doing it. The #1 pick this year could very well be from a European league.

• 1 year later...

Avenatti is the newest recipient of the Darwin Award.

A man who has not filed a Federal Tax return in 10 years "probably" should not appear on cable news night after night poking the bear (President) and announcing a run for President.

And then trying to blackmail a giant company with buildings full of lawyers.

He didn't shoot himself in the foot, he blew both legs off with a Bazooka.

BYE FELICIA

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

In a just world they would both be taken down. Nike for corrupt business practices and Avenatti for trying to extort Nike for it's corrupt business practices.

They deserve each other.  They can share a cell with scumbags like Chuck Person.

I read a book called "Sole Influence" nearly 20 years ago that saw all of this coming.  It focused on how the shoe companies were corrupting the system through the AAU system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

Avenatti is the newest recipient of the Darwin Award.

A man who has not filed a Federal Tax return in 10 years "probably" should not appear on cable news night after night poking the bear (President) and announcing a run for President.

And then trying to blackmail a giant company with buildings full of lawyers.

He didn't shoot himself in the foot, he blew both legs off with a Bazooka.

BYE FELICIA

Never fly too close to the sun